Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,862,528 times

Advertisements

Claiborne used to have outlet stores in the outlet malls and I got some great dress t-shirts there that were nice quality. However, that was many years ago. Too bad to see them go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I think the problem is that most lines are made in China, lesser quality fabric, trying to charge as much for low quality as the old days w/quality things. If you look at clothing you'll often/sometimes see that seams are crooked, pockets (in jeans especially) are teeny tiny and not sewn correctly so they "pull", lots of other issues)
Was the brand made in the USA before?

I've seen this type of poor quality clothing (all brands) at Ross and TJ Maxx stores. Actually, much worse. I saw a pair of jeans one time in Ross that were size 12 but the waist was about 14 inches. They had to mark them down to fifty cents because they knew nobody would buy them except perhaps for the fabric to rip up and make into something else.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Is China really #1 in the garment industry for name brand clothing? None of my IZOD shirts are made in China. My IZOD polo shirts are either made in Pakistan, India, Kenya, Vietnam, or Indonesia. My IZOD button downs are all made in Bangladesh. I'm not saying any of these countries are any better as far as quality goes, although IZOD has been a good quality brand for me.

For generic and store brand clothing though China might indeed be #1.
Actually China's manufacturing is too sophisticated and expensive these days. They have moved a lot of production to the lower cost locales - Vietnam, Pakistan, India, Kenya, Morocco, Cambodia, Bangladesh, etc. It is a constant chase for lower manufacturing costs.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
Thanks to all of you for this information. I just bought a pair of Liz Claiborne summer pj's at Penney's last week, and was so happy as I like the brand, they always fit, and I have had a LC purse before that I really liked. I am sorry to learn the story behind this brand.

But.......I never was a Macy's customer, my price-range has been Kohl's or Penneys. Back in the day, I did shop at Hudson's on occasion, and my current highest high end store is Dillards. So I am happy to find this brand at Penney's.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:49 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,152,589 times
I have a Claiborne sweater from like 2002 that I still wear. It's getting a little tired so I wear it mainly on the weekend.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
It's a double edge sword for clothing designers who.wish to profit while keeping their niche in design wear.
The moment they sell out to department stores...They have chosen temporary profit over long term legacy. Only a few have surpassed that hurdle...

I liked Liz Claiborne designs.....Just didn't think the price range was do able.

Our local rethreads shop carries this line...Seems some folks took great care ...

Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 AM

711 posts, read 688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Claiborne used to have outlet stores in the outlet malls and I got some great dress t-shirts there that were nice quality. However, that was many years ago. Too bad to see them go.
Thanks for this. I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this thread.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:43 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Thanks to all of you for this information. I just bought a pair of Liz Claiborne summer pj's at Penney's last week, and was so happy as I like the brand, they always fit, and I have had a LC purse before that I really liked. I am sorry to learn the story behind this brand. .
I liked their handbags once they stopped putting the triangle logo on them. I had one for many years and it lasted a long time, very durable.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,237 times
I loved this brand too - everything seemed to fit me just right. There was also a wonderful perfume 'Realities' that no longer exists. Sometimes I catch a waft of something that reminds me of it. It came in a little triangle box. Amazing blend of peach, rose and spices.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:10 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Thanks to all of you for this information. I just bought a pair of Liz Claiborne summer pj's at Penney's last week, and was so happy as I like the brand, they always fit, and I have had a LC purse before that I really liked. I am sorry to learn the story behind this brand.

But.......I never was a Macy's customer, my price-range has been Kohl's or Penneys. Back in the day, I did shop at Hudson's on occasion, and my current highest high end store is Dillards. So I am happy to find this brand at Penney's.
The Penny's in my town doesn't have it. Now I'm curious as to what it's like these days, under Penny's management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty