Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,178,003 times

Advertisements

The trouser waist size is fine, but it is way too long.

Will it be very strange if I hem the trouser with that height (8')? Or I just throw this trouser away? It is good quality trouser.

You may wonder why I bought it, I bought it because I like the suit, while this trouser comes with the suit, they were sold together and they were on sale. With that low price, even only for the suit, I was willing to buy it.

Not sure if it is worth for me to hem the trouser? I can hem the trouser on my own, but not sure where to alternate trouser.
Attached Thumbnails
What if trouser is too long?-img_20170913_220332.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
No. Just drag the bottom of pants along the ground until you wear them out or do the hipster selvedge denim cuff.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Just take the trousers to a tailor and have them altered professionally. You'll pay to get a good job done. Moral: Buying cheap clothes that don't fit is just not a bargain. Never is.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Just take the trousers to a tailor and have them altered professionally. You'll pay to get a good job done. Moral: Buying cheap clothes that don't fit is just not a bargain. Never is.
The suit fits me well, with that low price, even if it does not come with trouser, I was willing to pay that price for suit only.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
hem it or have it done. It is worth it.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Have you never bought a suit before? Suits come with the pants unhemmed and very long. The shop you buy the suit from should do the hemming of the pants, plus minor taking in/letting out at the waist and seat, plus minor adjustment of the coat (for example, I have one arm a tiny bit longer than the other so one sleeve always has to be shortened a bit, and also the back shortened a tiny bit to eliminate a wrinkle in the coat behind the collar). Any reputable men's store will do all of these as part of the cost of the suit.

If for some reason the place you bought the suit won't do the alterations free gratis as they should, take the pants to a tailor who will charge a small fee. You should probably go ahead and take the coat too to make sure none of the other adjustments are needed - and make sure to wear your dress shoes when you have the pants marked for hemming.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Have you never bought a suit before? Suits come with the pants unhemmed and very long. The shop you buy the suit from should do the hemming of the pants, plus minor taking in/letting out at the waist and seat, plus minor adjustment of the coat (for example, I have one arm a tiny bit longer than the other so one sleeve always has to be shortened a bit, and also the back shortened a tiny bit to eliminate a wrinkle in the coat behind the collar). Any reputable men's store will do all of these as part of the cost of the suit.

If for some reason the place you bought the suit won't do the alterations free gratis as they should, take the pants to a tailor who will charge a small fee. You should probably go ahead and take the coat too to make sure none of the other adjustments are needed - and make sure to wear your dress shoes when you have the pants marked for hemming.
No, it is online sale.

But is it really possible for some shops doing the hen job for free? Sometimes the sale price is so low, less than $50 for both suit and trouser (normal price is above $300). Is it really possible for you to spend only a little money on buying suit/trouser then they spend time hemming for free?

Seriously, I have rarely spent more than $100 on a single clothes/trouser, so I just try to buy something which fits me, not worth to spend that much money on hemming/alternation.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:28 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Take it to alterations person. I can do a simple hem that just needs one turn up but if it requires cutting because they are very, very long I leave it to the professionals. Shouldn't cost more than $12-$15.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Sorry, I can't comment on the practices of someone who sells a suit for $50 on line. I would expect the quality to be abysmal. I buy suits from stores where I can try them on and confirm proper fit.

I would rather wear khakis and a polo shirt than a cheap suit. Cheap suits and cheap ties stand out from a mile away. I don't mean that you have to spend $1500 on a suit, but at today's prices I don't think you can get a suit that fits properly and will last for less than $3-400 at the very very minimum. I am typically spending 5-700 for a suit and I am by no means a fancy dresser, just the standard dark colored sack suit for business wear.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Sorry, I can't comment on the practices of someone who sells a suit for $50 on line. I would expect the quality to be abysmal. I buy suits from stores where I can try them on and confirm proper fit.

I would rather wear khakis and a polo shirt than a cheap suit. Cheap suits and cheap ties stand out from a mile away. I don't mean that you have to spend $1500 on a suit, but at today's prices I don't think you can get a suit that fits properly and will last for less than $3-400 at the very very minimum. I am typically spending 5-700 for a suit and I am by no means a fancy dresser, just the standard dark colored sack suit for business wear.

No, not bad suit, maybe it is not called suit, as I said, it is on sale price. Normal price should be around $300

For example: https://www.menswearhouse.com/pronto...eck-11F611F792 This one only costs $99, two years ago, I bought the exactly same one at the same price and it comes with "buy one get one free", so I bought two with different color. The first one does not come with trouser, but the second free one is suit, it comes with trouser. That is the trouser I would like to alternate.

Averagely, it is around $50 for each. So $106 for one coat, one set of suit, total three pieces, FREE shipping.

I like the clothes, not looking cheap to me, it is just low price.
Attached Thumbnails
What if trouser is too long?-99.jpg  

Last edited by Baike; 09-14-2017 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty