Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:23 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

I remember the first time I became aware of this fashion atrocity was back in the late 90's.

I could have sworn there was a candy bar commercial where a guy had his foot resting on something and it was a ridiculous looking, completely square toe box design.

At the time I swore I never would buy or wear such a ridiculous looking thing. But apparently, this style still exists to this day.

Yuck. I'm certainly no fashion guru and the only time I wear dress shoes is to job interviews, but still, when has this design ever looked good, and I could care less about any functional advantages.

The Square-Toe Shoe Must Die

Quote:
We thought it would fade away, a casualty of sartorial progress, like spats and piano ties. We thought its fundamental absurdity of form would fully evolve it off the feet of men. To be honest, we thought it was too ugly to live. But that geometric disgrace remains, ruining otherwise fashionable looks by making men’s feet seem heavy, bulky, unwilling…square. So we’re killing it. For good this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 09:47 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
I thought they were 'holiday shoes' first made popular by:

Frankenstein (though these don't look totally square in the image)

They are a stupid style when you consider footwear, clothing, and outerwear should all be form follows function and other than perhaps a special safety boot they do look quite ridiculous on the feet.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 10-24-2017 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 10-26-2017, 01:30 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I thought they were 'holiday shoes' first made popular by:

They are a stupid style when you consider footwear, clothing, and outerwear should all be form follows function and other than perhaps a special safety boot they do look quite ridiculous on the feet.

I will have to disagree with this

Not everybody has toes that are in the typical configuration. My foot is basically duck-shaped and these are the only type of shoes that I can walk around in all day without my toes screaming at me by the end of the day.

My job has me on my feet 8 hours out of a 10- hour day. I almost jumped for joy when square toes came out and have several pairs of them as back-ups in case they ever stop making them.

In my case, form does follow function with them.

These are my life-savers:

Prada Penny Loafer Square Toe Black Leather Size 39.5 - Flats & Oxfords - Women's Shoes - Women

I despise spending a lot of money on clothes/shoes but for shoes I walk around all day in, I don't mind.

Have mercy on us duck-footed people, lol

Old 10-26-2017, 02:05 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I don't know if the OP is referring to men's shoes or women's (or both), but in terms of women's shoes, I still like them far better than rounded toe shoes (which make my feet look short and stumpy). But I prefer a tapered square. Not a wide boxy one.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 10-26-2017 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 02:10 PM

524 posts, read 574,821 times
I like square toe shoes. My toes don't have the normal curve, so square is comfortable. Pointy was the worst. Ouch and I looked like I had elf feet.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:25 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I will have to disagree with this

Not everybody has toes that are in the typical configuration. My foot is basically duck-shaped and these are the only type of shoes that I can walk around in all day without my toes screaming at me by the end of the day.

My job has me on my feet 8 hours out of a 10- hour day. I almost jumped for joy when square toes came out and have several pairs of them as back-ups in case they ever stop making them.

In my case, form does follow function with them.

These are my life-savers:

Prada Penny Loafer Square Toe Black Leather Size 39.5 - Flats & Oxfords - Women's Shoes - Women

I despise spending a lot of money on clothes/shoes but for shoes I walk around all day in, I don't mind.

Have mercy on us duck-footed people, lol
Forget the shoes, show us your feet! LOL My friend actually has "Flintstone" feet (Fred's) and knows it. She wore platform shoes "back in the day" and I still picture them and laugh.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:42 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Double post in error.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
IDK...Im kind of conflicted on the state of mens shoes...I mean, on the one hand you have alot of people (expecially europeans) who believe traditional rounded shoe lasts like the ones Allen Edmonds or Alden use look too blobby and bulbous...on the other hand you have people who abhor the square toed kenneth coles and Cole Haans...I suppose a true slight chisel toe would be the best compromise betwixt the two, but the slight chisel can be hard to find in the right fit.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Congrats on your “normal” toe box.

Those of us with a wide front foot will continue to enjoy square shoes.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:49 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Square toe Kenneth Cole leather black shoes in the mid to late 90s. The ultimate "club shoe"....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty