Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 01:11 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
For real?

Our wedding bands (matching, plain gold), combined, were still much less than my engagement ring (which was itself well below the price norms listed, despite being a three-diamond setting). Nobody batted an eye. But we are not people who as a rule prioritize items over experiences, or focus on cost as a measure of desireability. In general, whatever channel allows us to spend the least money possible to get what we want is the route we choose. Not cheap out and get something we don't even want, but the best deal for what we do.

My husband is waaaaaaaaay more likey to high five me for getting a stellar deal on his wedding band than to be all personally affronted and, "But I spent x amount on your engagement ring..." We like deals, though. No slap in the face.
Same here....first we shop for what we like...then get a deal It helps that I don't watch tv, look at magazines and shop for styles and trends. I am not swayed by anything but my taste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 02:35 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
A worry I share. I had to have my highschool ring cut off after a stove finger playing basketball. Finger swelled and a jeweler had to cut the ring.
Materials scientist friend and his wife had tungsten carbide and had no answer to how to get it off in an emergency.
As an EMT I was able to remove a few rings by wrapping the finger with fine string starting at the tip and wrapping back towards the ring and then manipulating the last bit. Lots of lube and it slipped off. Very painful as circulation restarted, like frostbite.
Tungsten carbide is brittle. A pair of vice grips will break it clean off. No need to find a jeweler.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Tungsten bands break away from the finger with enough pressure, that's actually a huge selling point for many men. I've cut off gold bands and broken tungsten bands for people, the tungsten is easier imo. The tungsten can't be repaired though, which is why I hated selling them.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Simple. It's not a precious metal.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Tungsten bands break away from the finger with enough pressure, that's actually a huge selling point for many men. I've cut off gold bands and broken tungsten bands for people, the tungsten is easier imo. The tungsten can't be repaired though, which is why I hated selling them.
You can get a reasonable WC band for what I'd imagine the repair cost of a platinum or gold band would be. I have a bit of a ring phobia and a spare, just in case.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Isn't this nice, tho?.. and sorta different, if that's your thing (like me).

Gibeon Meteorite in Cobalt Chrome

Attachment 193977

The inlay is not of this world.. it's real METEORITE! Cool, huh?

Unfortunately, it's not exactly cheap at almost $900.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 06-17-2018 at 03:00 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 08:06 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post

Why is Cobalt Chrome Wedding Bands Not More Popular????
Because Gold and Platinum are better.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:21 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've been married 20 years and my husband has had at least 10 wedding bands during that time. I am absolutely a fan of cheaper, more durable wedding rings. There was the original gold band I bought him, which he outgrew after six months of marriage, the larger replacement band I bought which he lost down a porta potty, the one from a pawnshop with a couple of little diamonds, which was stolen from our apartment, a big sterling silver band he promised not to lose but lost almost immediately, and so on.

Right now, while he's in what I jokingly call his tacti-cool phase, his ring of choice is a black, matte finish stainless steel band. $9 on Amazon

I’d love to hear the porta potty story... And if he tried to retrieve it...

Old 01-03-2018, 08:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What a ring is made of (or if there is a ring) says nothing about a marriage.
I actually agree with this. But that was not the OP’s question.

People buy gold or silver or platinum because tbe precious metal means something to them. People ascribe different values to different thnigs. For many of us, a gold or platinum ring has symbolic value.

But everyone is different. And if money is tight, I do get why cheaper alternatives are chosen.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You can get a reasonable WC band for what I'd imagine the repair cost of a platinum or gold band would be. I have a bit of a ring phobia and a spare, just in case.
Oh, for sure you can. I have cut gold bands off that were in awful shape. They were 40+ years old, worn thin, etc. The price to fix it from cutting it, resizing it and thickening it back up can cost as much as a new gold band (depending on MM size).

Some pay to fix it for sentimental reasons. Some just leave mad because. "40 years ago this ring only cost 100 bucks" and some just go with a new band. Platinum is even more, but people who own platinum usually know what to expect going in.

We also sold a lot of stainless steel rings to young couples who were on a strict budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty