Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 01:05 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times

Advertisements

The only option on the table..Coppertone because...the smell brings you back to the beach

Actually I live in a beach town and so do use Coppertone lotion every day.
My skin is so soft by September and then the cold weather comes.....

Next winter I'm not putting it away and will continue to use it every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 12:12 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Be careful what your using .. so many are full of toxic ingredients. harmful to health.

nontoxic sunscreen
Activist’s mineral, non-toxic, and *refillable* sunscreen formulas are formulated with non-nano zinc oxide and tinted in a range of four shades — from light to deep.

Their SPF 30 stick, which is packaged in a compostable paper tube, offers 80 minutes of water resistance.

As for Activist’s suncream, which comes in a durable, resealable pouch, it glides onto the skin effortlessly and camouflages any imperfections —you can thank the 4 opaque shades. It’s our personal favorite!

Also, both options are reef-safe and effective against the full spectrum of UVA and UVB radiation, so you know you’re covered!

Price: From $5

Discount Code: SKL15 for 15% off

Main Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Sunflower Oil, Wildcrafted Calendilla Wax & More

Location/Shipping: California, USA

Old 07-01-2023, 08:22 AM

61,669 posts, read 87,060,489 times
I am not denying that sun can't cause a lot of damage to our skin - wrinkling, sagging, and dark patches called lentigos. UV exposure can also increase the risk of skin cancer.

But:
Sunscreen is a multibillion-dollar industry, and its efficacy in the prevention of skin cancer is often taken as fact. But the fact is that there aren't enough study to support this statement.
However, many sunscreens contain toxic ingredients that might harm you more than protect. Sunscreens have not been subjected to standard drug safety testing.

Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are safe. Those ingredients act as a physical barrier to UV radiation and do not appear to penetrate the skin.
Also sunscreen products with SPF values above 50+ are marketing gimmick.
Don't rely on sunscreens only, but wear UV-protective clothing, broad-brimmed hats, and sunglasses.

And make informed choices.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The only option on the table..Coppertone because...the smell brings you back to the beach

Actually I live in a beach town and so do use Coppertone lotion every day.
My skin is so soft by September and then the cold weather comes.....

Next winter I'm not putting it away and will continue to use it every day.
Many have unsafe ingredients.
Better look for Coppertone Sport Mineral SPF 50 lotion sunscreen that offers 100% mineral sun protection.

Old 07-02-2023, 04:00 PM

6 posts, read 2,188 times
Might be a silly question but is there any difference? As long as you have SPF number and use it every 2h you should be good

Old 07-02-2023, 04:24 PM

Sure - the SPF factor and the toxic vs non-toxic factor

Old 07-03-2023, 01:09 AM

2,295 posts, read 1,515,043 times
Common sense need to prevail with sunscreen.

Where you live, the colour of your skin, the amount of exposure.

My friend, of southern European background was concerned about the negative impact of creams. Fair enough, she is olive skinned. As is my husband, who rarely uses them.
But we live in the skin cancer capitol of the world (actually Queensland has the highest global incidence) and I am red-headed. As I said to my friend, if I do not protect my skin I know I will get skin cancer. I count myself lucky to only have had BCCs and SCCs and so far have avoided the dreaded melanomas. But even so, I hate having stuff cut out and burnt out.

I use Neutrogena Beach Defence and some local Cancer Council products.

Despite a lifetime of care and avoiding the sun I could not help feel sad when the grandson tactfully commented that I look older than my husband, despite being three years younger.

I should be living where my ancestors lived, in Scotland and Northern Europe.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:56 AM

862 posts, read 975,211 times
I think the best kind are the "Sport" versions like "Coppertone Sport" as they usually do not burn you're eyes and will stay on after swimming or sweating. When I go to beach I use the cream version for the super strenght sun blocking and just for day to day walking I use the spray as it is easier to apply.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I thought this was interesting:
https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwis...%20your%20skin.

I have had melanoma, so I have to be extra careful. YOU DO NOT WANT TO HAVE A MELANOMA. Besides the obvious shock of having one, they can also come to other places on or even in your body. Also, I had a very small, but definitely dark freckle on my shoulder. It was so small that I couldn't even see if it have any uneven edges, and it was definitely not raised or irritated. It was about half the size of a pencil eraser, if that. Still, now I have what I affectionately call my shark bite, which is a four inch long by 2 inch wide by one inch deep cut on my shoulder, which 9 months later, STILL bothers me. Thankfully it was a stage 0, which I didn't even know existed, and I have a 95 percent chance of nothing recurring, which I'll take, definitely. I inherited my grandmother's Scottish skin tone - pale but with lots of color in it if that makes sense. But it's definitely always been "tan resistant." Golden tan? LOL forget it!

I have combination skin.

I did something interesting, to me, anyway. I had been using Lancome's Renergie Lift with Sunscreen but it really, really bothered my eyes. So I tried the Chanel UV Essentiel. The only difference in the active ingredients that I can see is that the Chanel contains 10 percent homosalate. So either that negates the other active ingredients or there's some other sort of chemical or whatever in the Lancome product. Both protect against UVA and UVB rays. Both go on smoothly, and invisibly, which is nice.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
That looks like a good one. I've been using this Josie Maran spf 47 moisturizer as my daily sun protection. It's also mineral, and leaves no white cast on my face. It comes in a tinted version, too:
https://www.josiemarancosmetics.com/...h-sunboost-atb

I prefer mineral sunscreens, for their stability, and also because they don't leave orange stains on light colored clothing. This is a problem with chemical sunscreens containing avobenzone, especially if you have well water.
I don't have well water and haven't noticed any issue with the UV Essentiel sunscreen by Chanel, which does contain 5 percent Avobenzone. I've been using it about a week, and have worn light colored clothing every day this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty