Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:54 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,327 times

Advertisements

I have very dark hair that I've colored myself for years. Now I've decided I want to go much lighter and am going to talk to my hairdresser about it. How much maintenance is involved? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,541 times
Is your hair naturally dark?

If so find a good hairdresser! If your hair is naturally dark and you want to go really light, you have to be very careful, because it will probably turn either orange or a real brassy yellow if you have a hairdresser that isn't very experienced.

I recommend gettting highlights instead of the full color.

You will probably have to get touch ups every 4 to 6 weeks.

Good luck!!

P.S. Please make sure your hairdresser knows what she/he is doing!!!!!

Last edited by missncr; 03-25-2008 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: add on.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:29 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I have very dark hair that I've colored myself for years. Now I've decided I want to go much lighter and am going to talk to my hairdresser about it. How much maintenance is involved? Any suggestions?
Are you going Blonde?? Yes, it is very much a lot of maintenance to keep up with. I've had Blonde hair before (for about 4-5 years) and it's a lot of maintenance. Lot's of hair trim appointments, getting your roots done, trying not to swim in chloronated swimming pools (turns Blonde hair green), etc. ...It's a pain the butt, if you'd really like to know.

But if that's what you want, then by all means do. But take my advice about it^^. Be ready for a lot of hair maintenance to come.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:32 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
I had blonde hair for about 3 years. I initially did it so I could dye my hair pink (haha...) and later blue. I got tired with all of the maintenance, so I let it grow out and trimmed the blonde away slowly until a point...

My senior year staple was having long brown hair with about 3 inches of blonde at the bottom. It caught on and several girls got several inches at the bottom bleached - I started a fashion trend on that one!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,829 times
My hair is naturally medium brown. I was really blonde for years until my daughter was born. If it goes well with your skin tone then I say go for it- sometimes it really makes you feel better. I would get blonde highlights ALL OVER.. emphasize that or else they will streak your hair as to not over do it. I wouldn't do all over color, the roots would be way too obvious and too hard to upkeep. With highlights, if it starts to get too light after time, you can have low lights put in. The younger hairdressers are usually very good with Highlights in my opinion. Im going to go back to blonde also, I hate feeling so dull and drab!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,383 times
I've been blonde for years (and I mean YEARS) and have never had a problem. I do it myself and have to touch up around 4 or 5 weeks b/c I have short hair. I don't have the green hair issue someone else mentioned. Be sure you check with a hair dresser first though. Everyone who has ever cut my hair says I was born to be blonde so it works with my skin. I tried to go darker over the winter and hated it so I'm blonde again!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:33 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,424 times
I'd try highlights first. I have dark brown hair and wanted something to "brighten" the way my hair looked. With blonde highlights the regrowth looks more natural,I found out.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:09 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,464 times
Cat~ I wanted to go back to blonde last year and was told by a stylist that they would have to strip all the color out of my hair, then put blonde on it. I am so afraid that my hair will fall out from all that bleach that I decided against it. It was also going to cost $400.00 and that was too extreme for me.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:12 PM

9 posts, read 102,393 times
If you have color in your hair you are going to have to strip it out that is very damaging to the hair. I would have it highlighted so it is not so much on your hair. In about 7 to 8 weeks have it done again. It will give you the look of a blonde. Please be careful with the stylist you use. Nothing like hot roots. Love the look of orange on someone. I am a Redken stylist and would recommed a Redken salon. If you have a stylist you have used for a long time stick with them. If you have any question feel free to ask.

Thanks
AMy
Have a great hair day

Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,505,939 times
Try highlighting first and then go gradually blonder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty