Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times

Advertisements

I think part of the issue I have with it is that the cold shoulder look is everywhere right now. When that happens, you just know it's going to be a short-lived trend. I don't do trendy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 10:49 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don't like the look on me. I also feel like, at almost 41, the look is "too young" for me. Additionally, it is not a good look for "at the office" attire.

I'll spot a cute top on the rack but don't notice it's a cold shoulder top until I get closer, and I'm like "Noooooo! It's ruined."
I do that ALL the time! I think it's one of the reasons i hate them so much! Reminds me of the "stirrup pants" back in the 90s or whenever it was. I'd be trying to find a regular pair of slacks, and once I even said to a sales person, "Don't you have any REGULAR pants without those @!&% straps on the bottom?!"

Old 07-25-2018, 11:15 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I do that ALL the time! I think it's one of the reasons i hate them so much! Reminds me of the "stirrup pants" back in the 90s or whenever it was. I'd be trying to find a regular pair of slacks, and once I even said to a sales person, "Don't you have any REGULAR pants without those @!&% straps on the bottom?!"
At least the stirrups could often be cut off. You can't add back shoulders that don't exist

Old 07-25-2018, 11:27 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I'll spot a cute top on the rack but don't notice it's a cold shoulder top until I get closer, and I'm like "Noooooo! It's ruined."
The past couple of years have been weird for clothes, and it's not even just cold shoulders, it's bell (or laced or cut out) sleeves and off-the-shoulder and backless things, too. 90% of the top or dress is cute, but the neckline or sleeves make it unwearable.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
I bought one without knowing what it was. Then I started hearing about them and wondered what on earth "cold shoulder" was. On, it must be that weird top in my closet, that I have a hard time figuring out how to get it on.

Our British friend said "I'm already getting enough of that from my wife"...LOL.

I'm ambivalent about them. Ripped jeans are what sets me off!

Old 07-25-2018, 12:03 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
I like that they hide arm flaps while allowing air, but aside from that they mostly look kinda stupid.

I had one, a swim suit cover up. It actually looked better when I put my arms through the shoulder hole and let the sleeves hang loose. Not good, but better. I thought about cutting off the sleeves, but wound up donating it.

Torn jeans are bad, but fake fading is worse, especially when it accentuates areas that would be better off concealed. I was looking for a denim dress, and was surprised that so many had the faux fades, especially when they were in areas that wouldn't get that much wear.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Because it's stupid. Because it's pointless. Because it flatters no one. It's the dumbest fashion gimmick I've seen in quite awhile.

Well...there's a LOT of pointless fashion statements...and to me, this is just...a look. I mean...gosh, there's puff sleeves, cap sleeves, fluttery sleeves, cuffed sleeves, and on and on and on, and there's cold shoulder sleeves. lol I only have the one "cold shoulder" top, but I think it flatters me just fine, and apparently others do too, because I always get compliments when I wear it.

BUT...OK...it's a look that rubs you the wrong way.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:03 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
It depends on the style for me. I have a loose, tunic style shirt with a collar and cold shoulder that I love, but cold shoulder sweaters are the dumbest idea, imho.

Now THIS, I can agree with. LOL Seems to defeat the purpose of a sweater. But I suppose there are temperate climates...maybe some place like San Francisco, where it might make more sense to wear a 'cold shoulder sweater' in the evenings or something.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
I'm mixed. I do not own any. I bought one summer blouse, but wound up giving it to my daughter.

That said, if it's a summery top or a summer dress... maybe an evening gown for warmer weather, they can look cute.

I do not get them on sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, or anything designed for winter wear.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Some people seem to passionately hate the look...and I'm wondering why. I really truly don't get the hate.

I'm currently wearing a cold shoulders top. The top part is wide enough to cover my bra straps, and all I'm 'showing' is a bit of arm. I've never understood the dislike.

Now, if we're talking 'shoulderless', than I can understand someone not liking the look, or not 'getting' the popularity. That's me. I don't hate the look, but I don't get the popularity. Especially for bigger sized women. Bigger women typically need to wear a bra, and yeah...there's strapless bras, but are they really very comfortable? Well...eh...it's not a look for me. LOL
For me -- just too much of it - I have one dress, one top....and I am kind of sick of it.

Same with the floral and I loved the floral initially and have lots -- just too too much.

We just overdo everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty