Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 05:04 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times

Advertisements

I only apply mascara to the top half of my lashes. I never get any dots or marks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:44 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
As I was applying my mascara this morning, I thought of this thread, so I made a point to remember how I put on my mascara.

I tilt my head back and look down toward the mirror (and I do better with a mirror that I can stand very close to, rather than the mirror over the sink). I pull slightly upward on my upper lid (above the crease) which causes my lashes to stick straight out. I start the wand at the base of the underside of my lashes, and I wiggle side to side as I'm moving to the tips. I'll do a swipe or two on the tops of the lashes, but I don't try to get all the way to the roots. About halfway to the tips is fine.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:59 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
I dab the end of the wand on a kleenex before applying it since there is always a little "glob" on there if i don't.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Hey thanks everyone. I think I've been starting too close to the root, plus using a fairly big brush, so the brush bristles end up reaching between my lashes and leaving mascara dots on the lid-lash-line. I've worn mascara + eyeliner for decades, and it's only been a problem recently when I've tried to skip the eyeliner.

So now, with the help of some of your suggestions, I've got it figured out. Just don't start so close to the roots. Duh!

Old 08-01-2018, 07:41 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Definitely try tilting your head back and pulling up slightly on your lid (just under your brow bone). That will help your lashes stick out away from your lid. I don't have any problems starting at the roots this way. Also, instead of sweeping back onto your lashes (and pushing your lashes against your lid) close your eye as you're sweeping so that your lashes are coming down to the wand. In other words, let your lashes do some of the work, if that makes sense.

If you have a Sephora or Ulta nearby, I suggest stopping by and explaining the problem you're having. They can watch how you're applying and offer tips.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:50 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
Try moving the wand back and forth lightly until you get what you want. Try thinner smaller wands.
^This!

I saw a product demonstration on QVC recently, and the rep remarked that she was able to get to the base of the lashes easily, without depositing gunk, because of the thin wand.

Also, just FYI-- I only wear upper liner, and always apply it beneath the lashes, "pushing up" to get between them. It's easy and very effective. It makes the lash line look thicker and avoids that dreaded space between liner and lashes that some women end up with. Depending on how full your lashes are, you might be able to forego the mascara, then, on "casual" days.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:01 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
I rarely wear liner except when going out for special outings so didn't know there was some special way one had to apply mascara without.

Don't go all in to the lash line, just brush the lashes. Pull the brush up between also another coat side to side not touching the skin.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 PM

85 posts, read 75,805 times
get a small fan brush (just a small triangle at top) and use that instead of a mascara wand applicator. Fan brushes are awesome at a clean mascara look!! Easy to control lift where you need it and also to control the coat overall. I usually curl first with a heated wand curler and then use the mini fan brush.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:36 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
It's the brush.

Helena Rubenstein had a mascara that came with a slim metal spiral wand (threaded, like a screw). It was great and probably cost two bucks. Now some other manufacturer has introduced the same exact wand as 'brand new technology' and charges close to a hundred.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:37 AM

32 posts, read 18,220 times
Oh! Just practice on how to get it done. Practice before your event so you wont mess up with your own event/party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty