Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 PM

22,092 posts, read 9,648,225 times

Advertisements

I think it's a combination of a few things. In 2008, stores got stuck with huge amounts of inventory that they had to give away to get rid of. Since then, they often have low inventory. You ask for a size and they will say, I will order it for you. I can do that. If I wanted to order it, I would have stayed home. And the other thing is the sales people are either non existent or hound you. You go into a dressing room and you need another size and you wait, and wait and wait and finally either go get it yourself or say ********** and leave. There are some really good people who have been doing it a long time. I like buying from them.

It didn't surprise me at all when Sears went under. You couldn't get a salesperson to help you if your life depended on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 04:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,260,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You can say that again! I often wonder who is doing the buying for many stores, especially mall stores. Seems all they stock is little, tiny sizes, which look nice on display racks but don't fit the majority of their customers! If you want an XL, you have to dig waaaay in the back, and might be lucky to find one. I actually had a saleslady at Macy's need to get an extension pole to fish my size out from way in the back of an upper-mounted display Come on! Demographics indicate the majority of Americans are overweight to obese, perhaps they would like to buy clothes, too, instead of staring wistfully at what they can't have?

I'm not exactly fat, but do run about 12--14 and XL. I find shopping online to be my best bet. I also find better prices, sales, etc online. Add to that problems with mall security, parking, etc, I'd rather stay home and shop online
It has been my experience at Kohl's and Macy's recently, that size M sells out first, leaving an abundance of S and XL hanging right on the same rack.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,260,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
Here's my take when it comes to shopping for clothes:

1) Poor customer service. Working in retail is no longer a career like it used to be in many stores. It has been years since I have come across a sales person that actually knew the line of clothing they were selling and the fit. Years ago, Sears was known for having people who worked specific departments and who had a good working knowledge of their product. Like someone said, it can be difficult to even find a person who can run the cash register. Don't get me started on what happens if the cash register can't tell the person running it how to make change for a cash sale.

2) The overall quality of clothing is poor unless you go with much better brands. I have had luck with J. Crew and Banana Republic, but not always.

3) It can be difficult to find age-appropriate clothing for both work and leisure.
agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The success of Kohl's seems to contradict a lot of the reasons people have given here.
I feel like Kohl's is successful because they make you feel like you are getting a great deal. They (I assume) mark up to mark down so you think you've saved 40-50% every time you shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I don’t buy clothes online but I avoid going to department stores too. Same experience as others mentioned: my size or color is not in stock, styles are not appealing. I feel department stores just have no idea who their customers are and what they look for.

We have Macy’s, Belk (southern store chain), and Nordstrom in our mall. Macy’s has rows and rows of junk. Like Alfred Dunner or their own Charter Club brand. No one is ever browsing those sections. Ugly stuff. Higher end brands get sold out. Can never find my size (10-12).

Belk is full of “bohemian chic” wannabe rags and terribly stiff polyester clothing. It’s 100 degrees out in summer and you want me to wear a polyester dress? Then 3/4 sleeves in winter. Ugh.

For a working woman over 40 it’s impossible to find something comfortable but decent looking for the office. I no longer have cleavage for deep V-neck and am not interested showing off my bra straps with a boatneck. I’m also not into those depressing dirty purple and poop brown colors. Very much interested to know what are the buyers thinking. Every year I can tell exactly what will end up on clearance, it’s a no-brainer
Yes!

Old 11-12-2018, 04:38 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,920,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I feel like Kohl's is successful because they make you feel like you are getting a great deal. They (I assume) mark up to mark down so you think you've saved 40-50% every time you shop.
Not me. I think some of their prices are outrageously high. I honestly don't understand how they do so well to be honest.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,439,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Not me. I think some of their prices are outrageously high. I honestly don't understand how they do so well to be honest.
Kohl's has their Kohl's cash program which is sort of a game to be played, to get deals. I've never done it. I don't like the clothing styles in Kohl's anyway. I've shopped there on Black Friday though.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,439,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

True, most designers/companies don't do plus sizes. Personally I'm pleased with those who do. But if you'd like more I can certainly understand.
Victoria's Secret is a store for women size 8 and under. Even size 10 wouldn't fit into their lingerie.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:49 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,450,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
agree with this.

Yes!
I received good deals at Kohls. But most stores, especially in the malls, mark up to mark down. JcPenny and other department stores do it as well. Gap, Macy's, Ann Taylor and a number of other clothing stores have high original prices to make you feel like you are getting a deal once it's marked down or you have a coupon. JcPenny's clothes feel so thin.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:59 PM

10,641 posts, read 12,207,117 times
Quote:
For a working woman over 40 it’s impossible to find something comfortable but decent looking for the office.
I love Marina Rinaldi and Jones New York. For a higher price point -- 800.00 minimum for a suit -- there's always St. John Knits.

Quote:
Victoria's Secret is a store for women size 8 and under. Even size 10 wouldn't fit into their lingerie.
It's true, VS may not have large sizes for "sexy" lingerie. But plenty of places do. And of course what one person finds acceptable another may not.

Not saying your post does this, but I don't get all the complaints about not being able to find appropriate, likable clothing in whatever size. I'm sure it depends on where in the country one lives. With several options, I have no problem. But maybe where I shop, others wouldn't dare.

Quote:
JCP tried to do away with this mark up to mark down game, and it was nearly their death knell. Shoppers want to "feel" like their getting a deal, even when they know their not. Sure it's irrational. But it's their reality.

Last edited by selhars; 11-12-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 05:05 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,311,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree that there are people who prefer to shop in stores, where they can try things on, ask questions of a helpful salesperson, and perhaps have additional merchandise pointed out, that they may have missed. Though stores have been cutting back on staff, I find it's still possible to hav e this type of experience from the better stores. Even at Macy's, it's not that hard to find help. I don't find online shopping convenient, because I end up sending a lot of items back, because the color IRL is different than on screen, the sizing is off, or quality turns out to be poor.

Even with all that, many people are preferring to shop online. If the online vendors solve the fit dilemma, local sales will plummet.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:58 PM

2,291 posts, read 1,690,268 times
The last time I was in a department store I remember riding up the escalator and looking out on a sea of ugly and depressing colors. Maybe that was just me but I can't wear oranges, that unattractive loden green color, icky browns, etc. My friend and I commented we felt we were back in the 1970s.

The only store I really shop in now (although infrequently) is Talbot's as I prefer more classic styles. I fully realize younger people might prefer other stores but the salespeople are friendly and helpful in my local store.

I order online from LL Bean and Lands End and when I find a sweater, fleece jacket or pants I like I generally order multiples. I have learned the hard way that clothes are being made more and more cheaply and what was great in previous years is no longer made with the same quality so I try to stock up.

Has anyone else noticed it is impossible to find size narrow shoes in stores? Ordering those is always undependable concerning fit. Nordstroms is the only store that has any kind of selection anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty