Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 06:14 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Part of it like others said is when you wear a high heel your foot will move forward but the other issue is shoes that aren't narrow enough. The heel on my wedding shoes was a AA with a AAAA heel and fit like a glove. I danced for hours without the slightest bit of discomfort. If we had more size options in shoes instead of most shoes being a medium width we would probably be a lot more comfortable in a 2 inch heel.
Preach!

I fully agree that at least some of the issues with shoes is that there are not enough options out there for sizing. It's pretty limited when you wear a narrow size or a very wide size IMO. I usually have to go online to shop for shoes since I wear a 6AAA...good luck finding that off the shelf

The good news is that I haven't had any foot trouble since I've tried to be conscientious about making sure I have a good fit on shoes over the years and avoid the death toe (pointy toe) shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 09:21 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post

When ever you see someone with messed up feet its always a result of bad footwear, you don't have to be a foot DR anyone can see the deformities are from the shoes they choose.
For the same reason that people rob banks to get money. The benefit outweighs the downside, to them. And some people think they'll never get caught (or ever have foot trouble).

Why do people drink to excess, when they know that depletes their bodies of vitamins and can cause all sorts of health problems? Why do people become obese, when they know that causes a variety of medical conditions?

We could go on with these questions forever.

I wore heels for years at work. However, I did start keeping the heels lower starting in my 30's, often the 2" heel. When chunky heels came into style, I wore those, which helped with comfort and stability. Finally, as it became okay for women to wear pants at work (yes...women were not allowed to wear pants at some places of business not that long ago), I started wearing either conservative or funky looking Clark's shoes, which would have a chunky heel for height, but wider toe area and memory foam insoles. Young women wear them with pants, so the styles I chose were not old lady.

Young women wearing dresses have to wear heels of some sort, if they want to get dates. Except if you're really young, there are certain outfits where you can get away with flats. But flats aren't good for your feet.

Podiatrist told me that 2" heels are probably the best for the foot. Total flat shoes aren't good, and heels higher than 2" aren't good. Add memory foam to the insole and a chunkier heel, and that's a healthy shoe.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I have never in my life have worn a pair of 'crippling' or tight high heels and I've been wearing heels as far back as I can remember.

This sounds more like wearing ill fitting shoes.

Your feet continue to grow your entire life.

When I was in my twenties, I wore a size 8.

At 53 I now wear a size 9 1/2.

Get your feet measured ladies.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:26 PM

190 posts, read 129,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t consider bunions and hammer toes to be feminine.

I don’t equate high heels with femininity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m probably the only guy in the world who hates high heels. I think they look stupid and are about as practical as those pants we see hanging down around one’s knees.
No your not.

I remember the first time finding Playboy Magazines, wow ! But being like WTF why are the naked ladies wearing shoes ?? I still think that is stupid.

If anything is super sexy its those girls that go barefoot all the time.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:05 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post

When ever you see someone with messed up feet its always a result of bad footwear, you don't have to be a foot DR anyone can see the deformities are from the shoes they choose.
Bunions are not always caused by poor choices in footwear. Bunions are primarily caused by genetics, but wearing ill fitting shoes can hasten and worsen the issue. Many people wear pointy toed shoes and never get bunions. Many people never wear ill fitting or pointy toed shoes and still get bunions.

That being said, I never understood why anyone would chose to wear a shoe that hurts their feet. There are many fashionable shoes that don't hurt.

As blueherons mentioned, your feet continue to grow your entire life, although "grow" is not exactly what is going on. What happens is that the ligaments and your arches start to weaken with age and also the fat pads on the bottom of your feet get thinner with age. Both of these issues cause most people to need a larger size shoe as they get older.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:12 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I have never in my life have worn a pair of 'crippling' or tight high heels and I've been wearing heels as far back as I can remember.

Of course I don't have to tell you that everyone has differently shaped feet. My size is the same as yours, I was an 8 when I was younger and am now a 9 1/2. Your feet might be very comfortable wearing heels, but I have NEVER in all my years found a comfortable high heel. Maybe it's my bone structure? Who knows, but you can't tell me that I wasn't wearing the right sizes. I am always very careful to get my shoes fitted.

I'm in my 60's now, but even when I was in my teens, twenties and thirties, and wore stylish higher heels on occasion, by the end of the evening, my feet were killing me. When I worked in a retail store in my twenties, I wore low shoes with good support and even then my feet hurt by the end of the day. I had two pairs there so I could switch them half way through the day. It helped a bit.

Nowadays, I don't even attempt to find a comfortable pair of "heels" because I know no matter how great they might feel in the store and when I first wear them, my feet will be killing me by the end of the evening. I settle for wedges or lower heels. If I don't look stylish, I don't care. My comfort is more important than looking stylish and hurting.

At my son's wedding, I wore a gown with some fancy shoes having a 2" heel (as high as I go now) and by 11 pm after the majority of people had left, I ran out to the car to switch into my Birkenstocks and didn't give a damned what people thought.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:19 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Of course I don't have to tell you that everyone has differently shaped feet. My size is the same as yours, I was an 8 when I was younger and am now a 9 1/2. Your feet might be very comfortable wearing heels, but I have NEVER in all my years found a comfortable high heel. Maybe it's my bone structure? Who knows, but you can't tell me that I wasn't wearing the right sizes. I am always very careful to get my shoes fitted.

I'm in my 60's now, but even when I was in my teens, twenties and thirties, and wore stylish higher heels on occasion, by the end of the evening, my feet were killing me. When I worked in a retail store in my twenties, I wore low shoes with good support and even then my feet hurt by the end of the day. I had two pairs there so I could switch them half way through the day. It helped a bit.

Nowadays, I don't even attempt to find a comfortable pair of "heels" because I know no matter how great they might feel in the store and when I first wear them, my feet will be killing me by the end of the evening. I settle for wedges or lower heels. If I don't look stylish, I don't care. My comfort is more important than looking stylish and hurting.

At my son's wedding, I wore a gown with some fancy shoes having a 2" heel (as high as I go now) and by 11 pm after the majority of people had left, I ran out to the car to switch into my Birkenstocks and didn't give a damned what people thought.
I agree with you, I've never had a pair of high heels that didn't hurt my feet. I don't believe such a pair exists.

I'm surprised both of you have gone from 8 to 9.5 though, that seems like a huge change. I've been an 8W for about 25 years with no change, except perhaps my toe box was a little less wide when I was younger so it was easier to find 8M's that would fit.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I agree with you, I've never had a pair of high heels that didn't hurt my feet. I don't believe such a pair exists.

I'm surprised both of you have gone from 8 to 9.5 though, that seems like a huge change. I've been an 8W for about 25 years with no change, except perhaps my toe box was a little less wide when I was younger so it was easier to find 8M's that would fit.
I agree. I wore a 7 until I carried 3 children, and now I'm a 7.5. An 8 is too big.

And as for why women wear heels? It's prettier. I don't wear crazy heels, just like, a 3 inch heel boot. It's just a prettier look than a flat shoe. Obviously if you're hiking, good hiking shoes are what you would choose, and when I'm old as hell I'll wear "sensible shoes" because that's the smart thing to do so I won't fall, but for other women going out or at work a little heel is very pretty if their feet can support that.

I am very irritated, though, at businesses that require women to wear heals. That just seems completely wrong. Dress professionally, and if you want to wear dress flats, that should be absolutely acceptable.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I am very irritated, though, at businesses that require women to wear heals. That just seems completely wrong. Dress professionally, and if you want to wear dress flats, that should be absolutely acceptable.
People just repeat a meme. There is no way in this climate the boss is going to haul the women in and tell them they have to wear anything, much less heels. If you see them is because women want to wear them. Heck, even nurses don't wear uniforms anymore.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:14 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

My feet have remained the same size for all my adult life, except during the period where I had gained weight. My shoe size increased a half size during that time. When I lost the weight, my feet went back to their normal size. I don’t think it’s true that “your feet continue to grow all your life”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty