Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 06:44 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,402,894 times

Advertisements

I like the fact that I don’t have to drive in annoying downtown traffic every day and dress up every day. But it has been a while since I have worn my blazer, button up shirts, dress pants, and work shoes. I sort of miss it these days. Does anyone here feel the same way ? Do you miss wearing work clothes at times ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 07:03 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
I miss my dress casual, seeing human beings and not feeling like I have been grounded in my room (with a laptop) for 6 months.

My dad used to ground me on a regular basis in high school, and while it is enjoyable to relive those days sometimes, the only joy I got out of being grounded was sneaking out ("dad, I know you are okay with me running, going on a long run" - sneak down the block where friend is waiting in car with your fun outfit, go to the Wed eve lake dance for an hour and a half, come back - change back into running clothes and come home).

I can't escape this grounding. Need a paycheck. But yes - I miss my work clothes.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
We went back to work May 6, so no.

Even when working from home for a few weeks, I still had to put on a nice shirt and brush my hair for conferences. One day I wore a dress shirt, suit, and tie for a meeting, but i only had shorts on and no shoes at all.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:34 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I like the fact that I don’t have to drive in annoying downtown traffic every day and dress up every day. But it has been a while since I have worn my blazer, button up shirts, dress pants, and work shoes. I sort of miss it these days. Does anyone here feel the same way ? Do you miss wearing work clothes at times ?
Who says you can't wear at home what you wore before? Or is this about vanity, and being seen?

I continue to wear what I did before, and what I want. Nothing's stopping me.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Not at all! It's summer, and I can wear shorts and a T-shirt while working. Come fall I'll wear sweatpants, much more comfortable than the old "business casual."

Old 08-11-2020, 09:54 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,935 times
No I don't miss wearing work clothes. I definitely enjoy the commute now. I've been WFH since March with no end in sight so my work clothes will stay in the closet.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:58 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,223 times
Not at all. And I don't miss walking in the street in 90-degree heat in my office clothes at all.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
I worked for a Natural Resource Agency in Oregon. We wore tan shirts with ODFW logos and tan shorts. I've still got all my shirts hidden away somewhere, but I don't wear them, but I wear my tan shorts virtually every day even in winter.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:36 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I worked for a Natural Resource Agency in Oregon. We wore tan shirts with ODFW logos and tan shorts. I've still got all my shirts hidden away somewhere, but I don't wear them, but I wear my tan shorts virtually every day even in winter.
If I hadn't already retired I would have reveled in clothing freedom. My last employer decided to require everyone at our workstation (not just those of us working in the public eye) to wear the agency uniform. That decision also cost the taxpayers up to $400 every year for every employee. It would have worked equally well to use a simple polo style shirt with a logo patch like our state agency counterparts managed to have, but noooo, it was full court dress down to specific shoelaces and shoe polish color. Horrible, uncomfortable, impractical things that didn't flatter anyone unless they hired a seamstress to re-make it. Why some federal agencies want their employees to look like some throwback to 1950s military or overgrown Boy Scouts is beyond me. One of the first things people who separated from that office did was burn any uniform components they couldn't in good conscience pass on to some other unfortunate.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-11-2020 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 01:56 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
This is funny that you said that. I have lost some weight, and while rifling through The Side Of The Closet I Never Look At, I found a nice black blazer I'd bought that was a bit too snug. Fits great now. Have nowhere to wear it, though.

Don't particularly miss working, although my post-retirement part-time job paid well and was kind of fun. COVID has killed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty