Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 10:59 PM

914 posts, read 643,579 times

Advertisements

So many times I find certain clothing items I buy need to be better tailored to my own preferences. Occasionally you can find things you like but they're only available in tall sizes or the fit isn't just right. They're perfect in quality, fabric and overall cut. As an online shopper, it happens frequently. I'm considering taking matters into my own hands and buying a sewing machine, but I have zero experience in sewing.

What type of machine should I buy to maybe hem or tailor a nice expensive blouse, pants or shirt or skirt? I hate paying some tailor shop who gouges the prices of expensive clothes only to get them back forever ruined with no accountability. It doesn't matter at all that you've just spent $120 on a blouse they've just turned in to crap that will end up at goodwill. It seems that people no longer care about the quality of workmanship that they turn out.

So now, to keep myself from hating these people who are gouging me and ruining my quality clothing items, I've decide to take matters into my own hands and do my own tailoring. It can't be that hard, can it? I'm of an average size and height, so tailoring should be minimal.

For those in the know, what type of sewing machine would you buy if you want to trim up a nice Brooks Brother's women's tailored shirt (they can be as long as a guy's shirt, lately), or possibly a pair a high quality pants or skirt that are just a tad too long?

I know I can just google it, but I'd like to have someone who is familiar and has enough heart to make a recommendation to me.

I'm asking for recommendations for a great practical quality sewing machine. I'd like to get something that is not over the top that will last for a long time. Just the basics that I mentioned above: hemming, and tailoring straight sweaters and shirts...

Last edited by settled00; 10-10-2019 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: added clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 11:15 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I've always done my own alterations by hand so I can't recommend a machine. However, it does take some practice and quite a bit of time to alter anything properly. It is not a skill learned quickly and for hemming, I would recommend buying a good pair of shears and practicing using that first. Practice first with scrap material and then with clothes you don't care that much about before altering anything expensive.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
This is pretty similar to the one I have. https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Quilt...s%2C180&sr=1-1 Some alterations have to be done by hand, and you'll want to practice on clothes you don't care about first.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Go to a good sewing center and look at used machines. You get more bang for your buck, and often some free classes to go with it.

Sewing is addictive. Often what do you do when you alter clothing is you deconstruct it and put it back together again after you sized it however. Like sleeves — you often can’t just shorten sleeves because sleeves might have elbow ease and a placket. You almost have to do it at the shoulder which means the armscye has to be different — it’s more challenging to do it right.

I enjoy those challenges. But — take a few classes on garment construction and you can make your own clothing that fits.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
Agreed about taking some classes in tailoring first. I hem by hand because it's almost as fast to do that as it is to haul out the machine, set it up, and take it down afterwards.

As for the type of machine, shops that sell & service higher end sewing machines often have really nice refurbished second-hand ones for sale where serious sewers have traded up for more features, and I would look into getting one of those refurbs, a Pfaff or Bernina, with just good basic modes (straight, zig-zag, stitch length adjustments) and interchangeable presser feet.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:23 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,403 times
I agree with the others that say buy a refurbished machine. Sometimes they are as good as a new one, if you’re lucky. I got rid of my machine years ago, I just wasn’t into sewing anymore. Now when I buy something that needs alterations, I wish I kept it.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Go to a good sewing center and look at used machines. You get more bang for your buck, and often some free classes to go with it.

Sewing is addictive. Often what do you do when you alter clothing is you deconstruct it and put it back together again after you sized it however. Like sleeves — you often can’t just shorten sleeves because sleeves might have elbow ease and a placket. You almost have to do it at the shoulder which means the armscye has to be different — it’s more challenging to do it right.

I enjoy those challenges. But — take a few classes on garment construction and you can make your own clothing that fits.
I agree about buying used. An older mechanical machine that has been serviced would be a good bet. You could take a sewing course offered by whoever offers continuing ed classes in your area. I imagine you could buy a good used general sewing book on Amazon. And there are online sewing groups.

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php This is a good supportive group of sewists who would be a source of encouragement and info.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2019, 11:15 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
Most places that sell sewing machines will either have, or know of, classes. It's not that difficult!

Old 10-14-2019, 11:35 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I have a Singer portable. It does a bunch of fancy stitches but I don’t use them. I think it was $199. but you might get by with a very basic one for less. Like others have said, it’s not as easy as just having a sewing machine. You still might make a mess of things, but just try it.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:42 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,331,686 times
I own a 40yo Bernina that had been serviced only twice. I would suggest getting a basic model, preferably a sewing machine that comes with free lessons to familiarize yourself with all the parts and accessories. There are different press feet for different zips, or button holes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty