Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 AM

30 posts, read 18,199 times

Advertisements

What's your meaning about wearing fur, is it good to wear fur as a human , or is it only for animals, do you wear fur your self?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 10:43 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I think fur wearing is out of favor because people are against animals being raised and killed for garments. I have a 30 yr old fur coat, but I wouldn’t buy one today. I’m against trapping.

I think it’s still ok to wear vintage furs- not wearing Mummy’s mink coat isn’t going to bring the minks back-or to use leather that is a byproduct of the meat industry.
I also think there is nothing wrong with using the fur of animals killed for food in a garment.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:12 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Well, I wear leather.

I still regret never owning a mouton coat all these years later. They were popular in my teens, but my folks would never have spent that kind of money on clothes for me.

I do not own any fur because I’ve never been willing to spend the money for it. If I were to drop that kind of money, I’d probably want a piece of fine jewelry.

But I know of nothing more luxurious than a mink coat.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:21 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I think it’s still ok to wear vintage furs- not wearing Mummy’s mink coat isn’t going to bring the minks back-or to use leather that is a byproduct of the meat industry.
I also think there is nothing wrong with using the fur of animals killed for food in a garment.
I've had this conversation with some vegan/vegetarian friends. Some are okay with wearing vintage fur and leather, because as you say, those minks/rabbits/cows have already gone to critter heaven. And this may be less true now, but many of the faux and vegan alternatives are low quality and don't hold up. Other vegans are appalled by the very thought.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:43 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
I have a fur jacket I received as a Christmas present in 1978. It was so warm & cozy. Now I live in Florida and have never had a need to wear it and I also feel weird about wearing fur now when I am an animal lover.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:33 AM

1,107 posts, read 553,083 times
I'd never wear fur; nor would I wear leather or any other animal-sourced materials. I have two gorgeous faux fur coats, but I rarely wear them because I think furs/faux furs make women of a certain age look older.

I understand that some vegetarians rationalize the wearing of vintage furs because "what's done is done", but (1) unless a fur is made-to-order, "what's done is done" applies to all ready-wear fur pieces (what does it matter if the animals were killed for their fur 50 years ago or last week?), and (2) it perpetuates the idea of fur as acceptable fashion, when the goal of veganism/vegetarianism is to promote the idea of fur as unacceptably cruel.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:59 PM

1,107 posts, read 553,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've had this conversation with some vegan/vegetarian friends. Some are okay with wearing vintage fur and leather, because as you say, those minks/rabbits/cows have already gone to critter heaven. And this may be less true now, but many of the faux and vegan alternatives are low quality and don't hold up. Other vegans are appalled by the very thought.
This is where I got my faux furs. The quality is amazing, and they are beautiful. Particularly the full-length coats.

https://fabulousfurs.com/womens-faux-fur-coats-jackets

Old 10-23-2020, 02:08 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I'd never wear fur; nor would I wear leather or any other animal-sourced materials. I have two gorgeous faux fur coats, but I rarely wear them because I think furs/faux furs make women of a certain age look older.

I understand that some vegetarians rationalize the wearing of vintage furs because "what's done is done", but (1) unless a fur is made-to-order, "what's done is done" applies to all ready-wear fur pieces (what does it matter if the animals were killed for their fur 50 years ago or last week?), and (2) it perpetuates the idea of fur as acceptable fashion, when the goal of veganism/vegetarianism is to promote the idea of fur as unacceptably cruel.
It’s probably a generational thing too. I am old enough to remember associating a fur with my mother or grandmother, all dressed up to go out for the evening, and the smell of their perfume. As a child, someone wearing a fur was special, not at all negative. Isn’t it more respectful to the animal to use a vintage fur coat to keep a person warm than throw it away?

It can also be argued that using the fur of an animal is recycling a natural resource, which is more respectful than burying it or burning it.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:20 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
..many of the faux and vegan alternatives are low quality and don't hold up....
Wool and canvas coats are high quality and can last for generations.

I'll go with a good Republican cloth coat, myself. But we're keeping the dog.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:21 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
People can believe what they want, I'm not here to suppress opinions or virtue-signal.

I had a FSU girlfriend with a silver mink coat, nine years ago. Right out of Kiev, Ukraine. Wild guess this thing was ten grand$ or who knows how much, walking. She was a member of the mob, I suspected (Vori Zakone), and seemed to have plenty of flash. It was tailored well and I'll tell you, it looked great on her and she was a swell looker with or without it. Not bad in the Seattle winter, too, though we don't get extreme cold fortunately.

People around here are vocal around their causes, enforcing those social norms and all. She got in someone's face one day about it after yet another smartass remark from some stranger, two actually. I applauded her efforts but dragged her off these little cupcakes before she...never mind. Bottom line? They seem on the way out, it looked a bit off for a 35 year old in her case. Gorgeous, yes. Obsolete in the US, I'd have to venture 'yes' as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty