Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:12 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,573 times

Advertisements

What I'm wondering is the definition of flip flops.....maybe what some of us consider flip flops others would simply call thong sandals. I personally call both of them flip flops. And, I wear them (San Antonio and hot) every day. I have ones with heels and some without, different colors - most are cute (IMO) with embellishments and the like. I don't wear the foamy cheap ones unless I'm at the pool or running out to Walmart or something.

And yes, I do wear them to work....I have a part time retail job in an upper scale shopping area. Try standing on your feet for an entire day in heels and you'll understand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:52 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
What I'm wondering is the definition of flip flops.....maybe what some of us consider flip flops others would simply call thong sandals. I personally call both of them flip flops. And, I wear them (San Antonio and hot) every day. I have ones with heels and some without, different colors - most are cute (IMO) with embellishments and the like. I don't wear the foamy cheap ones unless I'm at the pool or running out to Walmart or something.

And yes, I do wear them to work....I have a part time retail job in an upper scale shopping area. Try standing on your feet for an entire day in heels and you'll understand
Same goes here.

Germany without flip flops - can't imagine that. I have at least 6-8 pairs, should count them sometime. Some with heels, a pair even with wegde heel, and I love them.
I even wear the really beautiful ones, which don't look like beach wear, at work (and I work in an office!).
If you have beautiful and clean(!) feet they are just great. Toe nails with beautiful art polish even top it.

My oh my, I must go and buy another pair...

Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 AM

501 posts, read 1,946,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Same goes here.

Germany without flip flops - can't imagine that. I have at least 6-8 pairs, should count them sometime. Some with heels, a pair even with wegde heel, and I love them.
I even wear the really beautiful ones, which don't look like beach wear, at work (and I work in an office!).
If you have beautiful and clean(!) feet they are just great. Toe nails with beautiful art polish even top it.

My oh my, I must go and buy another pair...

If you page back you'll see my post with pictures of what I consider flip flops v thong sandals. Thong sandals I think can be appropriate for work (depending on the outfit or style of the sandal). Flip flops are simply a beach/pool/public shower protection for the feet.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
I wore them yesterday as part of a day off ensemble and they were good flip flops: brand new, turquoise green and cute. I felt wrong, even in 80 degree weather, like I really am too old at 37 to have a plastic pair of shoes on my feet. So I am debating. It may be leather sandals and thongs from here on out.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:36 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
Well, I'm currently living in Florida so that's a given Regardless of where I'm at though, I'm a flip flop girl- But I only wear Havaianas. They're the best! I do favor the metallics (a *little* dressier) & I always paint my toenails. I'm a stay at home mom though so it just goes with my daily life. If I was still working in an office, I wouldn't wear them there.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:31 PM

39 posts, read 176,475 times
In Hawaii, they let children wear them to school! I had never heard of such. always made my kids wear close toes shoes with socks to school, safety reasons for the playground and stuff. Then I went to the their school, ALL the kids were wearing them, and the teachers too! I loosened up a bit, ,still think its weird.
They also call them slippers here, as in "rubbah slippahs"

In Hawaii

Old 06-16-2008, 12:06 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,939,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaK View Post
In Hawaii, they let children wear them to school! I had never heard of such. always made my kids wear close toes shoes with socks to school, safety reasons for the playground and stuff. Then I went to the their school, ALL the kids were wearing them, and the teachers too! I loosened up a bit, ,still think its weird.
They also call them slippers here, as in "rubbah slippahs"

In Hawaii
Different culture, different lifestyle, different mentality. More laid back and easy going. The weather does permit that "kine" of dress code. It's not shocking to see men wearing sandals in a 5-star restaurant. In some work places allow the flip-flops to be worn. And that's an office setting. Less uptight and stuffy. Sure, when it rains we wore shoes. But, it's very liberating to wear flip-flops. I have a permanent tan line on my feet. Now living in Socal, I wear 'em everywhere I go.

Aloha... and CHAKA!!!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
It's interesting how attitudes have changed about flip-flops over the years. When i was younger, the people wearing them tended to be female, poor and/or slovenly. Now, if you walked around the center of New Canaan, Ct.($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$), that's all you'll see when the temps are above 60. Male, female, young and old, 80% are wearing these gaudy things. I try not to look down at their feet, but it's hard to avoid seeing someone's nasty looking heels when they're walking on the sidewalk in front of you.

The one thing that i can laugh about is that you can tell who has had a facelift because the toes are a dead giveaway for age. The facelift may fool people if you're wearing a closed-toe shoe, but if you're wearing an open-toe.......busted..................

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 06-16-2008 at 01:12 AM..

Old 06-16-2008, 03:54 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,725 times
If they are spike heels and make you look like Peg Bundy, making the clic-clac sound? then they are sexy! Mine do not flip or flop because I dont shuffle my feet when walking. So I dont understand the prejudiced against this somewhat versatile footwear.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:53 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I wore them yesterday as part of a day off ensemble and they were good flip flops: brand new, turquoise green and cute. I felt wrong, even in 80 degree weather, like I really am too old at 37 to have a plastic pair of shoes on my feet. So I am debating. It may be leather sandals and thongs from here on out.
Hey girl...if you feel old at 37 wearing flip flops then you would think that there would be no way I should wear them! (mid 50's...look younger, am told that all the time) Just kidding - but really, if you lived in a very hot climate (i.e. we've had 100 all week) you wouldn't bat an eyelash, no matter what the age, at wearing flip flops/thong sandals! Stacy and Clinton on "What Not To Wear" would have a heart attack I'm sure and I love that show! But, how realistic on a day to day basis is wearing heels/closed toed shoes when it's so dang hot outside? I do keep my feet groomed and I take care to wear an outfit/casual that's put together each day. So, I feel perfectly comfortable and confident when I'm out and about. When living in a colder climate you bet your bootie that I wear close toed shoes etc., but the thought of them this time of year makes me cringe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty