Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 04:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times

Advertisements

Hi ladies (and guys, if you're interested)

i have two upcoming weddings in August & September (niece, nephew).

My silly question is - do you always buy a dressy purse/clutch to go with your outfit? Does it have to match your shoes? I'm probably going to wear dressy gold sandals to both and maybe I'll look for an inexpensive gold bag or I'll just take a regular black bag that I have that will fit items.

At a dear friend's wedding in 2005, I remember I had a small dressy bag and my envelope with the wedding
gift (check) would not fit in the bag. I held it alongside it. Well, I dropped the envelope in the church! I was
mortified when I couldn't find it. I asked the bride at the reception if anyone noticed an envelope. Luckily, another guest saw it on the church floor and handed it to my friend (bride). That's why I don't want a tiny bag. And I tend to "overpack.'

Do you even bring a bag/purse to a wedding? Some ladies make their husbands/boyfriends hold everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 04:31 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Your purse doesn't have to match your shoes. That's an outdated fashion rule.

Old 04-12-2022, 04:50 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I don't carry a ton of STUFF in my purse but jut take whatever purse and hang it on the chair or lay it on the table (if it's small) -nobody even cares if your purse matches (how 1950's is this?)

Old 04-12-2022, 05:18 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I have one dressy, black small clutch I use for special occasions like weddings. It fits my phone, a lipstick, mints, tissues and keys. For a card, I'd hide it in my car until I went to the reception. My daughter left a silver one in her closet when she moved out. If necessary I'd use it, but the black tends to be fine.

For my daughter's wedding I used the black clutch, but for the reception I also had an ugly little travel back pack. I wanted to carry an extra pair of shoes and some bridal emergency supplies. I hid it under the chair.

Old 04-12-2022, 05:49 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,318,692 times
I'd do a small purse that complements the outfit if it's formal or semi-formal. It definitely doesn't have to match your shoes exactly, but I do love putting together a whole "look" for events no matter the dress code. My grandmother and mother always said go with whatever makes you feel most comfortable. You should be fine no matter what you decide these days, and that's a good thing.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:21 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
And I tend to "overpack.'

Do you even bring a bag/purse to a wedding? Some ladies make their husbands/boyfriends hold everything.
I have a smallish beaded bag….carry phone, ID, credit card, keys, health insurance cards (my mom: “you never know what might happen….”). A lipstick and maybe some kleenex if I think I might shed a tear.

But I know how you feel about over-packing, especially if you’re used to carrying a lot of stuff in a big purse like me. You could always bring your big purse and leave it well hidden in your car in case something arises and you need it.

I went to a parade last weekend and carried just the evening bag stuff in a small cross body bag. It was liberating to lose the kitchen sink carrier.

Old 04-13-2022, 06:51 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
I think a small clutch or large envelope bag always look classy.. not used one myself in a long time.. Im not in glitters though and like velvet or suede more..

Old 04-13-2022, 08:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
I have two small bags, one gold and one black, that I have used for over 40 years as my "wedding or dressy bags". Both have shoulder straps that are long enough to use as a cross-body bag, if I do not feel comfortable leaving my purse (usually with my car & house keys & driver's license inside) while I am dancing.

I've often thought that large wedding receptions or venues in very public places should have a secure "purse check" as well as a secure coat check. I personally have known women whose purses were stolen or riffled at large events.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:14 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
How about a wristlet? Like Coach makes? easily carried, big enough for a small envelope, comes in a variety of styles and colors and if you don't want to spend alot, you could go somewhere like TJ Maxx and find one at an excellent price. Maybe get one in an all purpose color, so you will have that 'one bag' to carry to special event.

I agree about secure purse check. That's a great idea, but one I've never seen at a wedding.

Old 04-13-2022, 01:24 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I used to have a small beaded black purse with a crossbody length strap that went to a dozen weddings with me. Left it behind in my last move; it had only been to one wedding in a dozen years. Haven't needed one since.

Related...
I've been trying to cut down the size of my purse. I made a small bag, then packed just the essentials; too small. I doubled the size; still couldn't get to everything conveniently. Phone, sunglasses, wallet, keys, plus all the little stuff like sweetener and lip balm; I want it all!
I went back to the big bag for now. If I ever need a dressy purse again, I'll figure something out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty