Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 07:42 AM

7,119 posts, read 4,838,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut View Post
tank tops are for young men , doesnt look right on middle aged and older , imagine your grand pa wearing a tank top while shopping at the local grocery store , and how silly it looks on an old guy with wrinkled arms with old faded tattoos from his navy days

a loose light color t shirt is more appropriate

Actually, my 65 year old husband wears tanks similar to the one pictured in OPs comment above. He is thin and in good shape, however. He works out regularly, runs almost daily. He does have some defined biceps, but I wouldn’t call him a big muscle man.

Regardless, wear what you want to, OP! Fashionable or not doesn’t really matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 08:48 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,785,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
It's funny how in the summer, a lot of women wear tank tops, but very few men do. The men that do wear them either are muscular men who wear them to show off their muscles or men that wear those dingy undershirt type tank tops that wear them and look like they were too lazy to get dressed.

But I don't see very many men (especially non-muscular men) wear them casually during the summer because it's hot out. As a guy, I do wish I could wear them because here in NYC, it gets so muggy here in the summer time, especially around July. But I'm not a muscular person, but just want to wear them because it's hot. And not to mention, short sleeves give a terrible tan line on the arms. So I would like to wear them during a warm summer day, but I don't as I would feel out of place since I would feel like I'm the only guy wearing one outside.

But maybe it's just me. Are tank tops even fashionable for men to wear in the summer? Or are they ugly and I should just stick to short sleeve T-shirts?

Are you familiar with sunshirts? They're an excellent alternative to a Tank Top because they're very light weight and cool in hot weather. They otherwise look like a T-shirt.

Tank tops: They can look OK on guys with good looking arms and nice skin, usually younger men. If the fit isn't just right, either too loose or too tight, it looks kinda weird. Not so much margin for error as with a T-shirt. The photo you included looks good.

Are they fashionable? Not really, IMO. But hey, wear what ever want! Some guys in Hawaii wear them, but not a lot. Wearing such a shirt is a bit of an attention grabber.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:54 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
My ex-BIL used to wear tank tops--he was not a fit man, and he basically looked like a thumb in a shirt.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:04 AM

8,091 posts, read 7,461,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
But maybe it's just me. Are tank tops even fashionable for men to wear in the summer? Or are they ugly and I should just stick to short sleeve T-shirts?
They are called "wife beaters" for a reason. Actually I think the politically correct term now is just "beaters".

Wear one if you want.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:32 AM

16,554 posts, read 19,725,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
They are called "wife beaters" for a reason.
A wife beater is a very specific cotton white tank top. No one is calling this a "wife beater".

Old 05-18-2022, 09:55 AM

1,224 posts, read 527,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Trailer fashion. They shouldn't be a part of a "casual attire" outside gyms, pools, beaches, backyards and outdoors sport activities. I certainly don't want to see them in a sit down restaurant, public places, airports, airplanes, offices, even on city streets.
So, yes very casual and limited situations.
This

Old 05-18-2022, 10:11 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,668,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Trailer fashion. They shouldn't be a part of a "casual attire" outside gyms, pools, beaches, backyards and outdoors sport activities. I certainly don't want to see them in a sit down restaurant, public places, airports, airplanes, offices, even on city streets.
So, yes very casual and limited situations.
OK to wear them at home. Nowhere else.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:37 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,705,852 times
Ha, like 20+ years ago I'd wear them everywhere, restaurants, etc etc indoor and outdoors... Now I think they're so inappropriate except when exercising.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:38 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,705,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My ex-BIL used to wear tank tops--he was not a fit man, and he basically looked like a thumb in a shirt.
Ouch. That was harsh.

Old 05-18-2022, 10:54 AM

8,781 posts, read 5,074,069 times
I don`t care to look at men in tank tops, especially when you can see their under arm hair...but again, it is their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty