Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 11:15 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
They are called "wife beaters" for a reason. Actually I think the politically correct term now is just "beaters".
Non-gender specific partner assault undergarments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 01:31 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Especially when it goes with the gold chain accessory.

You meant tombac?

Old 05-18-2022, 01:43 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Regardless, wear what you want to, OP! Fashionable or not doesn’t really matter.
Some people take "wear what you want" too literally.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:40 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Actually, my 65 year old husband wears tanks similar to the one pictured in OPs comment above. He is thin and in good shape, however. He works out regularly, runs almost daily. He does have some defined biceps, but I wouldn’t call him a big muscle man.

Regardless, wear what you want to, OP! Fashionable or not doesn’t really matter.
I suppose I should qualify this with the fact that he wears tanks to work out, to be beside the pool, to work in the yard. Not out and about socially.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:57 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
It's funny how in the summer, a lot of women wear tank tops, but very few men do. The men that do wear them either are muscular men who wear them to show off their muscles or men that wear those dingy undershirt type tank tops that wear them and look like they were too lazy to get dressed.

But I don't see very many men (especially non-muscular men) wear them casually during the summer because it's hot out. As a guy, I do wish I could wear them because here in NYC, it gets so muggy here in the summer time, especially around July. But I'm not a muscular person, but just want to wear them because it's hot. And not to mention, short sleeves give a terrible tan line on the arms. So I would like to wear them during a warm summer day, but I don't as I would feel out of place since I would feel like I'm the only guy wearing one outside.

But maybe it's just me. Are tank tops even fashionable for men to wear in the summer? Or are they ugly and I should just stick to short sleeve T-shirts?
Wear what you want.

I don't care for sleeveless tops on men. Reminds of the wife beater tanks that have such a reputation. But then I don't care for them on women, either. It also exposes more skin to the sun, meaning one more area to get sun blotches on in the future, which are very unsightly and some can turn into cancer.

I've started wearing long sleeves and 3/4 sleeves when I'm going to be working the yard. It's soooo hot, but the sleeves protect my arms from the sun, so I don't need sunblock on my arms. Sunblock makes me hot because it blocks the pores from breathing as well, I think.

i've read that wearing a very thin cotton top with long sleeves makes a body cooler than sleeveless or short sleeves because it absorbs some of the sweat.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:22 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Wear what you want.

I don't care for sleeveless tops on men. Reminds of the wife beater tanks that have such a reputation. But then I don't care for them on women, either. It also exposes more skin to the sun, meaning one more area to get sun blotches on in the future, which are very unsightly and some can turn into cancer.

I've started wearing long sleeves and 3/4 sleeves when I'm going to be working the yard. It's soooo hot, but the sleeves protect my arms from the sun, so I don't need sunblock on my arms. Sunblock makes me hot because it blocks the pores from breathing as well, I think.

i've read that wearing a very thin cotton top with long sleeves makes a body cooler than sleeveless or short sleeves because it absorbs some of the sweat.

UV protection fabrics are a better choice for staying cool and for protecting oneself from the damaging sun's rays. Try a UVP shirt for better UV protection without sunscreen and for staying cooler.

"While OSHA recommends wearing sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, it’s not your only defense against UV rays. In fact, most people don’t wear sunscreen under their shirts– and if you’re wearing a T-shirt, UV rays are still reaching your skin. More and more work-wear options are becoming available that offer UV protection right within the fabric. Rated as UPF (Ultraviolet Protective Factor), this fabric offers more comprehensive protection than sunscreen can. Like sunscreen, which is rated at SPF, the higher the UPF rating, the better protection you’re getting. Because these garments are meant to be worn in the sun, they are lightweight and often breathable – so they have the added benefit of keeping you cooler than cotton would. UPF was first developed in 1996 in Australia, where skin cancer rates are the highest in the world."

https://www.jlconline.com/tools/safe...r-in-the-sun_o

https://www.sansoleil.com/

https://www.coolibar.com/

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...rotection.html

Old 05-19-2022, 06:10 AM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Heck yeah I wear tank tops. Cargo shorts too.

I’m 44, in better shape than most 25 year olds nowadays and am 100% a beach and water-sports person. I wear tank tops often in the summer.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-21-2022, 11:43 PM

350 posts, read 229,901 times
Unless you're in great shape, it's just not a good look at all. Even then it shouldn't be worn in many places.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:22 AM

52 posts, read 40,245 times
"Wife beaters" (plain white undershirts) = no.

Sleeveless shirts = no.

Hairy armpits = no.

Old/fat men = no.

If you are a younger, well-groomed man in decent shape wearing a fashionably styled tank top like the one in the post below -- and you match it with appropriately styled pants and shoes -- then yes it absolutely can be a good look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A wife beater is a very specific cotton white tank top. No one is calling this a "wife beater".

Old 05-24-2022, 09:29 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
I live in a beach town. Pretty much everyone wears tanks throughout the spring/summer/fall. It's just too hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty