Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:59 AM

554 posts, read 622,934 times

Advertisements

I have developed a little stomach pooch over the years. It is not terrible. Most people probably wouldn't notice but I notice it in some of my shirts. I want to look neat in my clothes so can anybody recommend a good body shaper to hold in my stomach. I tried one a few years ago but it was very uncomfortable. I want something that works but is comfortable as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
Most people like Spanx (you usually have to size up one size to be comfortable) or Assets by Sarah Blakely (owner of Spanx) that is sold at Target. I have heard that Walmart's George brand has a very good shaper, but I have never seen it.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
Spanx and like products are girdles...
Wear the proper size clothes (what you're wearing may be too tight!) so that little bit of "fat" doesn't "pooch" out...and move more, eat less....it will do the trick!

Old 08-03-2010, 05:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
After I gained the post-marital weight I totally got "body shapers" LOL If you're overweight, even loose clothing will look bad if you can see bulges under it.
I recommend:
1. Getting some silk/silky slips. If you wear a dress, they'll will keep it from clinging to any fat you may have.
2. Buying any high-waisted body shaper if you're worried about your tummy. If thighs are not a problem, Bali also makes a kind of leotard thingy that covers your whole torso.
3. Going on a Diet because at some point camouflage is futile ;D

Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
"Body shapers" are girdles...period....they just call them something different nowadays! Just wear the proper sized clothes...much more comfortable than girdles!

Old 08-01-2022, 08:34 PM

727 posts, read 715,584 times
Sometimes the clothing itself can camouflage a tummy. I've found that stiffer fabrics (cotton, denim etc.), button down shirts, higher waisted pants and tops with ruffles, ruching, gathers or cross over design help a lot. For me, vertical stripes and diagonal prints look better than solids. A cardigan with a floppy front over a plain T or tank works, too.

Wearing the correct size and avoiding clingy knits helps as well.

Spanx and the like just aren't comfortable to me. Make my stomach hurt, or roll over at the top and look worse than not wearing them!

Old 08-02-2022, 03:56 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Sometimes the clothing itself can camouflage a tummy. I've found that stiffer fabrics (cotton, denim etc.), button down shirts, higher waisted pants and tops with ruffles, ruching, gathers or cross over design help a lot. For me, vertical stripes and diagonal prints look better than solids. A cardigan with a floppy front over a plain T or tank works, too.

Wearing the correct size and avoiding clingy knits helps as well.

Spanx and the like just aren't comfortable to me. Make my stomach hurt, or roll over at the top and look worse than not wearing them!
Must agree with you there on that body shaper. The 3/4 leg shaper ( for clam digger style pants) is of no use to this figure. The spanx leggings flop up and then bulge. Uncomfortable.

Actually paid a tad bit for a body shaper (Wacoal) that was Lightweight and all in one. Clearly the high price did not make a difference. Only shape it gave me was a Question mark LOL!

Luckily I reside in a town that years ago made Danskin attire. I still have some of those under shirts and body pants that seem to do the trick for smoothing out the tummy or smoothing the back . I miss that brand....*sigh* .

Old 08-02-2022, 08:55 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
There is a brand called Shapermint. I bought the black camisole. You actually step in to it, and pull it up, thus, covers the tummy. I like it.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:47 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Try these - EVERYONE DOES! - https://spanx.com/

They are shapewear not a girdle or a waist training corset - I think they have those at Victorias Secret.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
I looked at the examples of Spanx Shapewear Bodysuits. Nearly gave me an asthma attack just looking at them and trying to imagine me squeezing myself into any of them. But they do look like they could be adequate (if uncomfortable) for anyone small enough that can manage to get them pulled on and be able to sit without losing one's breath and needing a puffer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty