Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 08:24 AM

461 posts, read 546,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wouldn't your phone get all sweaty?

When I play golf wearing cargo shorts I get my steps on Google Fit. But without the cargo pockets, in the summer at least, I lose the steps because I keep the phone in my bag. I am sweaty-phone averse.
I don't sweat much. I guess everyone's different. I don't really talk to anyone at the gym so I don't know what they do. I have an Apple Watch that tracks steps etc but it's not a substitute for a phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree. The only time I've left my phone in a locker is when I swim laps.

Regarding the workout pants, Have you checked this company?

https://vuoriclothing.com/collection...day-collection

They advertise a pocket for phones on their TV commercials. Prices are pretty high so I haven't tried them.
I've seen a lot of banner ads for Vuori, but $70 is a ridiculous price for a pair of gym shorts.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Interesting. I've seen those but I take my phone out between sets. Wouldn't that be awkward with these shorts?

Old 09-23-2022, 09:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Interesting. I've seen those but I take my phone out between sets. Wouldn't that be awkward with these shorts?
Poke around the underarmour website they have shorts with various phone pockets.

I think that at some point, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Women's yoga pants/running tights/whatever you call them have much more support. Meaning, the only thing holding up loose clothes is the waist band. The entire garment on a pair of yoga pants is a waistband of sorts. Your best option would end up being a pair of mens running tights, or a pair of shorts that has them incorporated into the compression liner (which would be a little awkward,) or otherwise, have it bouncing around.

Old 09-23-2022, 04:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
I feel strange saying this, but I'm jealous of the girls at the gym who have workout pants with cell phone pockets. Of course the ones I've seen are all leggings, not the sort of thing I'd wear.

My cell phone sits in my front pocket and I'd prefer it out of the way when I work out. I feel like I'm going to hit it with weights when I do curls. I don't see a lot of men's workout pants with side cell phone pockets. I'm looking for something like the product shown at https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...317186218.html but from a reputable vendor.

Has anyone seen what I'm describing? I do have a pair of shorts with a cell phone pocket but they're the double layer type of shorts and the cell phone pocket is in the bottom layer. I'm looking for something with the pocket on the outside of the pants.

Thanks!

jb
I work out in these shorts, but usually take my phone out during sets. The shorts have zipper pocket. They fit well, but I don't like the drawstring on them. You can't beat the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomic-Athleti...ps%2C91&sr=8-2

Old 09-23-2022, 06:11 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Is it absolutely essential to carry a phone?
Most people carry one, for music. That is why I like my little clip-on MP3 player. Hardly know it's there and nothing to keep up with. But I get having a phone with you - I would hate working out without my music.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:53 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Try vuori sunday joggers. they have a little zip pocket for your phone. Great pants.

https://vuoriclothing.com/products/s...waAjPcEALw_wcB

Old 09-23-2022, 07:09 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Women's yoga pants/running tights/whatever you call them have much more support. Meaning, the only thing holding up loose clothes is the waist band. The entire garment on a pair of yoga pants is a waistband of sorts. Your best option would end up being a pair of mens running tights, or a pair of shorts that has them incorporated into the compression liner (which would be a little awkward,) or otherwise, have it bouncing around.
Yep. Exactly. When I have my phone in the pocket of my leggings, my phone is basically pressed against my leg. It's not going anywhere, no matter how much I move. But with any of these mens' shorts or joggers that have been suggested throughout the thread, the phone will be moving around quite a bit. Running tights are the best suggestion.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:39 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
I feel strange saying this, but I'm jealous of the girls at the gym who have workout pants with cell phone pockets. Of course the ones I've seen are all leggings, not the sort of thing I'd wear.

My cell phone sits in my front pocket and I'd prefer it out of the way when I work out. I feel like I'm going to hit it with weights when I do curls. I don't see a lot of men's workout pants with side cell phone pockets. I'm looking for something like the product shown at https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...317186218.html but from a reputable vendor.

Has anyone seen what I'm describing? I do have a pair of shorts with a cell phone pocket but they're the double layer type of shorts and the cell phone pocket is in the bottom layer. I'm looking for something with the pocket on the outside of the pants.

Thanks!

jb
No. But. There is no reason why you can’t put a pocket on. It won’t match, exactly, and you’ll need someone who has a little experience in sewing to do it.

Here’s what needs to be considered. What you work out in — is it stretchy? Stretchy will require either a zigzag stitch that can move with you. Or a stretch stitch. Most newer machines have stretch stitches. Older machines will have zigzags. Even if the zigzag is not a very wide stitch, it almost looks straight, it will have stretch to it. The pocket material will need to match the pant material. Not necessarily in color or decor, but you can’t put a cotton pocket on stretchy material and have it work. Stretchy material goes on top of stretchy material. If you’re wearing cotton, or poly, use cotton.

At this point you can decide do you want the pocket longer than your phone so your phone is completely encapsulated and you have to really open the pocket to get it or do you want to have your phone just like about an inch expose so it’s easy to grab.

At that point they can size the pocket and sew the pocket on where you want it.

If you want it to be completely hidden, then they will have to go through a side seam to create a pocket. Also, very doable. On a stretchy material that will look a little strange. The pocket will stretch with the weight of your phone. The zipper will probably also stretch the material a little so there will be a wave. It might press out it might not.

It might not look really pretty, but it will be functional. I would assume with workout clothes you weren’t going for cute.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:12 AM

Thanks everyone. I went to my local outlet mall on Saturday and found some nicer cargo shorts and a pair of Columbia joggers that will work. The side pockets are a bit loose (and I have the biggest iPhone) but as one person said, you can't have it all. Maybe I'll ask my wife to sew the side pockets a bit tighter. Luckily I'm married to someone who has a sewing machine and knows how to use it.

I'll have another look at the Vuori pants too. Not cheap, but I tend to keep clothes forever. I have pants from 25 years ago that I still wear rotate into my daily wardrobe.

jb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty