Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 06:24 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A small stud doesn't bother me but when I see a nose ring the first thing I think of is being led around by it like some rancher's prized Hereford bull. Not exactly my idea of sophistication. Either that or I'm tempted to offer them a hanky to wipe away a drip.
I remember seeing a meme comparing a cattle ring with a nose ring. I can't find it right now, but this search has some images:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...h=597&dpr=2.48
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 06:29 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
They scream LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! Then again, different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:00 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Like any other physical feature, I'm a live and let live sort of person, so no, I don't find it most unappealing. I work with a woman who is ten years older than me, and she has a small stud nose piercing. It suits her - and it's subtle.

I think everyone should look the way they want to look - but maybe it's a regional thing. Living in an area that is densely populated, we see everything around here. To me, unappealing would be someone judging another person based on their desired look. As long as a person has good hygiene and is happy with their appearance, anything and everything goes.

Old 10-15-2022, 10:59 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
About a year back, my gaggle of besties added a verse to one of our songs (to the tune of 'Unforgettable'): "Unemployable... that's why you are... Unemployable.... I hate your car. Nose rings are so unappealing, they give me that snotty feeling... "

(other songs include the spoof hymn, "Make Me a Doormat For the World", and "Does Your Mother Know You're a ____e", which we sing, when we see a pair of Daisydukes)

But never mind US. After all, we used to launch into a hushed "Springtime for Hitler", every time yet another new child bride of some ancient surgeon, drove up to the Olympic pool compound at our old gym, in yet another 2-seater Mercedes.Back then, we were prejudiced against cars from Third Axis nations - and domestics. That left Volvo, Saab, and Jaguar, for respectable people.

But yes: our list of prejudices still includes all deliberate body mutilations (tats excepted for guys: but only if they're on some athlete being kept by a bestie: kept out-of-sight, that is, as a toy), most makeup, visible hair product on guys....

Yesterday,a closeup side-view of Alex Jones appeared on a screen, and someone spied the faint shadow of an old ear piercing. "See!" That's all it took. "That confirms it! He's always been a yutz." "And so why has anyone paid any attention to him - ever?"

Right or wrong, for better or for worse, people read personal appearance like a book.

I've struggled, all my life, to hide and disguise and compensate-for, the aspects of my appearance which said bad things about me. I cannot even conceive of deliberately adding to my appearance - in a permanent way - something which potentially screams negative things about me. I cannot conceive of adding something to my appearance, which might add a potential vulnerability.

Maybe others haven't had to struggle so hard. Maybe others are from worlds where the consequences of being perceived negatively, aren't so severe.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:07 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
I'm 74, and have had my nose pierced since 89. Furthermore I don't care what anybody thinks because I like it. Nose rings have been around for multiple thousands of years, and won't be leaving anytime soon.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:25 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I remember seeing a meme comparing a cattle ring with a nose ring. I can't find it right now, but this search has some images:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...h=597&dpr=2.48

Just to clarify, that specific piercing is called a Septum piercing. A nose ring is typically the one on the side of the nostril.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:09 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,170 times
To each his own but the question asks for our own personal opinions, so I'll jump in.

I can't stand bullrings. On anybody, no exceptions. I think they look like Hell. My niece always wears one, and when I saw her the other day she wore a smaller one that looked like a big booger hanging from her nose.

Old 10-15-2022, 05:43 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I don't find them the most unappealing. What I find the most unappealing is when they have those donut-looking rings in their earlobes, that you can see the room behind them through, lol. What must their ears look like when they take them out? They seem like they'd just be loose, baggy lobes hanging there. Yuck.

Old 10-15-2022, 05:44 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
I’ve seen ladies from India who can wear them and look attractive. This didn’t apply to the dingy clerk at a big box store the other day. This girl ran around flinging her arms around different guys who worked there, while asking them questions, she was new I suppose.

It didn’t help that she was waiting on me at the time, she didn’t even get my correct phone number after I told her several times. She also had a double piercing in her nose that did nothing for her appearance. Is there a correlation between being an airhead and piercing, possibly for some.

Old 10-15-2022, 05:44 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
To each his own but the question asks for our own personal opinions, so I'll jump in.

I can't stand bullrings. On anybody, no exceptions. I think they look like Hell. My niece always wears one, and when I saw her the other day she wore a smaller one that looked like a big booger hanging from her nose.

Yeah, I don't like those either. A tiny ring in one nostril isn't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty