Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 07:44 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,649,156 times

Advertisements

I wear prescription glasses and over ear hearing aids. Have tried wrap around computer glasses that fit over my prescription glasses. Not comfortable for long wear. I’ve seen cheap clip-on yellow glasses that claim to be for computer and or night time driving but the lenses are darker yellow and aren’t well made. Do you know of any brand that offers a frame matching clip-on light yellow computer clip-ons? Sadly most prescription glasses that come with magnetic clip-on glasses offer only polarized sunglasses clip-ons. I would be willing to pay more to add a second set of clip-ons for computer and nighttime driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 01:59 PM

4,527 posts, read 2,664,836 times
What is it you want from these? If you need vision correction at monitor viewing distance just get a pair of glasses optimized for that distance.

I don't even understand "computer and night time driving" - the two use cases are very different.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:26 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I don't even understand "computer and night time driving" - the two use cases are very different.
True. Glasses recommended to reduce eyestrain from monitor screens have blue tinted lenses.
Glare reducing lenses suggested for night time driving are yellow.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-21-2022 at 03:12 PM..

Old 11-21-2022, 02:40 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,093 times
OP,
If the issue is glare when driving at night or when using your computer the issue may be due to cataracts and that will not get corrected by night vision glasses.

I also wear hearing aids and use prescription progressive lenses at night with the blue tint added to the lenses.

My cataract surgery eliminated my need for glasses except in low light conditions when my pupils expand and catch the irregular surface of previous RK/AK surgery on my eyes. The blue tint does reduce glare at night, but, not enough to drive at night safely. The blue tint actually makes using my computer or reading harder than not wearing my glasses at all.

The cataract surgery was complicated because of my previous RK/AK surgery in 1994. The final result was my left eye good for reading and computer work and my right eye good for distance. First time in my life I did not need glasses at all as long as there is adequate daylight. My complications from Cataract surgery is rare and related to my previous RK/AK surgery.

I can appreciate the problems wearing hearing aids and non prescription sunglasses while driving during the day. So, I understand where you are coming from. If you are around my age (74) and the issue is actually glare when using the computer or driving at night have your eyes checked to see if the glare issue is due to cataracts.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:07 PM

Guess more details are needed. I work rotating shifts at a hospital boiler room. This means monitoring the entire hospital system’s HVAC system on desktop computer which has us locked out from making adjustments to the screen. I’m surrounded by bright LED lights and computer screens. I want the blue blocking light clip on glasses to reduce the blue and intense light at work to help me fall asleep after working, especially the night shifts which require sleeping in the daytime. I can’t have a permanent tint on my glasses because of the chemical water test we perform which requires recognizing color changes in the samples.

I have astigmatism and early stage cataracts. My glasses have the anti-glare coating. I frequently drive after dark. My drive includes no street lights and well lit streets with street lights that have recently been replaced from the yellow hue traditional lights to the ultra bright white LED lights. I drive a sedan so oncoming SUV & truck headlights, especially with the LED lights, are too intense. My Cocoons night time driving glasses have a light yellow tint allowing over 90% of the visible light while blocking glare and some of the intense blue of oncoming lights. This means I can still see people, animals, or objects on or near the road. These are the similar to the very light yellow computer eyeglasses.

I’ve seen blue blocking clip on glasses but the ones I see at the stores aren’t good quality.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:18 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Have you described what you want to your optician? They may have some recommendations, not only about clip ons but which type of filtering lens might work best for you.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Have you described what you want to your optician? They may have some recommendations, not only about clip ons but which type of filtering lens might work best for you.
I hadn’t yet. Several days ago I brought my night time driving glasses in the office at work to show a coworker. While in the office I tried them at the desk and it felt gentler on my eyes. That’s why I’ve been looking for some to clip on. It’s easier to keep a thin set of clip on glasses in my desk drawer than fit over glasses. Also, the fit over glasses aren’t comfortable to wear for hair urs at a time and I work 12 hour shifts.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:04 PM

4,527 posts, read 2,664,836 times
Still think you'd do better to get a whole pair of glasses for the computer work, keep 'em in your pocket when not in front of the screen, when you sit down there, put them on and put your regular ones in your pocket.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:22 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,312 times
how about a clip-on for your computer?

here is one example of a blue-light-blocking one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dodocool-...=sem&gclsrc=ds

Old 11-21-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
how about a clip-on for your computer?

here is one example of a blue-light-blocking one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dodocool-...=sem&gclsrc=ds
That would be OK but it’s a shared computer. I wouldn’t want to spend that much money on something to leave on the monitor at work for multiple users. Plus it wouldn’t help with all the lighting that has been changed to LED panels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty