Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 05:11 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've also become more sensitive to the sun over time. I'm more careful now that I've had a melanoma removed. My dermatologist recommended the Nuetrogena sun screen. I went online and bought three different ones to try. Some are less greasy than others.
Yeah me too. It sucks. I lived my whole life outdoors and paying for it now. My skin just can't handle direct sun anymore. My skin gets all blotchy if it gets direct exposure.

I was recommended Nutrogena too but wow is that stuff expensive. If I coated myself all over with that I'd use a tube a day, lol. I do use it on my face, and sparingly on my arms which I try to keep covered but dang, it's just too hot most times.

Just another joy of aging, lol.

OH the derm doc did say that he too experiences facial sweat, including the eyes!--while using sunscreen. Said he never found one that didn't make him sweat on his face so I don't feel too bad about it now. He said eyes are particularly sweaty in that regard. I can barely wear sunglasses outside due to my eyes dripping with sweat, lol. It just sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
My DH bought the sleeves from Amazon....he said they make his arms cool. They came in a pkg of three pairs red, white, and blue.
Thanks, I'm going to look into those sleeves. I mentioned elsewhere that our taxi driver uses one on his arm next to the window, even though his windows are tinted and he has dark skin already.

When I sit by the non-reflective window at our at the rental here, one arm eventually gets into the sun so a separate sleeve would be good. (if I kept moving my chair, the view would disappear!)

Old 10-10-2023, 07:18 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I have a couple of shirts like this that I bought from Academy that aren't too bad. I can't find them in an online search. The ones in this link are from Bass Pro Shop. I haven't tried them, but they might work. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/worl...irt-for-ladies

Old 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I don't go outside between 10 am and 4 pm. I stay away from the many windows in our Scottsdale house.

When I have to make the long trek back to the Bay Area, I drive at night. Take that, sunscreen! Zowie! POW!

Earlier this year I bought a bunch of UPF 50+ long-sleeved shirts. They have served me well.

I have to get my van serviced and hope to install ceramic film on the side windows. Literally everyone in Scottsdale has that done. All their cars look very mysterious.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:29 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Observe what roofers wear.

Broad brimmed hats; long sleeve cotton shirts in light colors; long pants.

Go thou and do likewise.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:22 PM

46 posts, read 42,178 times
I haven't tried any sun protective clothing, but I have tried base layers for the winter that were made of polyester/spandex. They were billed as being moisture wicking, but I got rid of them because I didn't like the way they felt and they also held odors from sweat. IMO polyester can be okay if it's blended with a more natural fabric. Here's a UPF50 hoodie made of 48% recycled polyester/47% TENCEL Modal/5% spandex. The modal should add some breathability. Hope you can find something that works for you!

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1278...omen%27s&pos=3

Old 10-11-2023, 01:34 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Obviously sun protection and breathability are two different animals.
You can cover your body with some dense, heavy, tightly woven polyester fabrics that would prevent the sun penetration, but you can't at the same time expect those clothes to breathe and make you feel cool.
If there is no airflow, the skin will sweat and feel warm.
High-tech fabrics treated with chemical UV absorbers or dyes prevent some penetration from UV rays.

They also said to wear black or dark clothes.
Dark or bright colors, including red, black and navy blue, absorb more UV rays than lighter colors like whites and pastels.
Sure, but don't expect to feel cool wearing those, because while they absorb more UV rays, they also absorb more heat.

That's why people in Arabic/Sahara world wear all light and white, loose-fitting cotton dishdasha and sirwal that makes them feel cool. It's a compromise.

You can have only one way - sun protection with dark and dense polyester fabrics OR light and airy clothes that will make you feel cool. Not both.

https://www.skincancer.org/skin-canc...tive-clothing/

Old 10-11-2023, 10:47 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Check out the sun protection clothing that's mostly marketed to people for outdoor activities such as fishing. Readily available on-line at manufacturers websites or from places such as Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse (among many sporting goods retailers).

I've found that HUK brand shirts are breathable, and sun and wind resistant.

They are but one of the manufacturers using similar fabrics which are excellent for the outdoor exposure.

The product works better than a white cotton fabric for sun protection, which is what I used for years while boating and fishing.

You don't have to compromise on sun protection and comfort with their products. They're well made and stand up to the rigors of boating and fishing, too.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Obviously sun protection and breathability are two different animals.
You can cover your body with some dense, heavy, tightly woven polyester fabrics that would prevent the sun penetration, but you can't at the same time expect those clothes to breathe and make you feel cool.
If there is no airflow, the skin will sweat and feel warm.
High-tech fabrics treated with chemical UV absorbers or dyes prevent some penetration from UV rays.

They also said to wear black or dark clothes.
Dark or bright colors, including red, black and navy blue, absorb more UV rays than lighter colors like whites and pastels.
Sure, but don't expect to feel cool wearing those, because while they absorb more UV rays, they also absorb more heat.

That's why people in Arabic/Sahara world wear all light and white, loose-fitting cotton dishdasha and sirwal that makes them feel cool. It's a compromise.

You can have only one way - sun protection with dark and dense polyester fabrics OR light and airy clothes that will make you feel cool. Not both.

https://www.skincancer.org/skin-canc...tive-clothing/
Good article, thanks. I guess you are right: can't have it both ways. Long sleeves, long pants, not-breathable clothing in 80+ degrees----UGH. But, no choice. Sweat or burn, looks like.

I was just frustrated because these particular sun-protective clothes were marketed as "breathable".

NOT.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:34 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Good article, thanks. I guess you are right: can't have it both ways. Long sleeves, long pants, not-breathable clothing in 80+ degrees----UGH. But, no choice. Sweat or burn, looks like.

I was just frustrated because these particular sun-protective clothes were marketed as "breathable".

NOT.
You're confused about the term "breathable". Is it a real thing or a marketing ploy? Breathability exists on a scale. It isn't all or nothing. It is also affected by moisture. If you're in a humid area that can affect the "breathability" and cooling ability of fabric you're wearing.

These might be of interest OP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathability

https://www.advnture.com/features/wh...athable-fabric

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-12-2023 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty