Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 12:13 PM

11,052 posts, read 6,639,868 times

Advertisements

I bought several pieces of sun protective clothing due to my sun-sensitivity (blotch and burn easily---a new condition). Different manufacturers.

What I discover is that it is too hot to wear! It doesn't breathe, despite claiming it does (breathable, lightweight fabric, they say).

I had it on yesterday (pants, shirt) and went out in full CA sun to walk to the store for a total of a mile. When I got home, I was so sweaty, red-faced, panting, ready to faint. I really feared I would not make it. I had to lay down on the couch with an ice pack and fan blowing full-speed on me. Took about an hour to recover.

I think it was about 80 degrees. San Diego.

I'm not out of shape or overweight and do cardio for an hour every day.

Is it just me, or has anyone else had this experience with sun protective clothing? How ironic this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 02:05 PM

23,279 posts, read 18,810,120 times
I haven't purchased specific "sun protective" clothing per se, but I have routinely worn summer weight clothing that accomplishes much the same thing. I don't wear so-called "moisture wicking" synthetics because my skin starts reacting to the synthetic before than the fabric can do its job.

Instead, I opt for natural fabrics like cotton, linen, or silk. Lightweight, gauzy, loose fitting garments can interrupt UV radiation but also allow heat to escape and perspiration to evaporate quickly...keeping you and your skin cooler. Maybe the size you bought was too small so your clothes ended up sitting too close to the skin.

Old 10-06-2023, 02:33 PM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times
My DH bought the sleeves from Amazon....he said they make his arms cool. They came in a pkg of three pairs red, white, and blue.

Old 10-06-2023, 05:51 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
"Is it just me, or has anyone else had this experience with sun protective clothing?"

well, it might be just you, but i doubt it.
100% cotton always works for me.
well, except for a hat....
they can be made of anything.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:40 PM

Sounds like it's just me. Why am I not surprised.

It's just me who is so suddenly sun-sensitive anyway. Nice, here on the beach.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I haven't purchased specific "sun protective" clothing per se, but I have routinely worn summer weight clothing that accomplishes much the same thing. I don't wear so-called "moisture wicking" synthetics because my skin starts reacting to the synthetic before than the fabric can do its job.

Instead, I opt for natural fabrics like cotton, linen, or silk. Lightweight, gauzy, loose fitting garments can interrupt UV radiation but also allow heat to escape and perspiration to evaporate quickly...keeping you and your skin cooler. Maybe the size you bought was too small so your clothes ended up sitting too close to the skin.
No, these were loose. The pants were so loose they were falling off me. This is just so aggravating, I want to scream and punch things. And sunscreen makes my face drip with sweat.

Old 10-09-2023, 08:45 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I've had the same problem. It's some of my newer clothing. The older clothes I own are fine. I have a hard time handling direct sun now. I've opted to go out during early morning or in the evening when the sun is going down.

Old 10-10-2023, 08:15 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
The best "sun protective clothing" is just clothing that covers sensitive body parts and made of natural fabrics (cotton, bamboo, tencel, linen, batiste...)

OP - you said: It doesn't breathe, despite claiming it does (breathable, lightweight fabric, they say).
So, what the labels actually say about the fabrics. Can you give us some examples?

Old 10-10-2023, 08:37 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I've also become more sensitive to the sun over time. I'm more careful now that I've had a melanoma removed. My dermatologist recommended the Nuetrogena sun screen. I went online and bought three different ones to try. Some are less greasy than others.

Old 10-10-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The best "sun protective clothing" is just clothing that covers sensitive body parts and made of natural fabrics (cotton, bamboo, tencel, linen, batiste...)

OP - you said: It doesn't breathe, despite claiming it does (breathable, lightweight fabric, they say).
So, what the labels actually say about the fabrics. Can you give us some examples?
Here's one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Soothfeel-Pro...zcF9tdGY&psc=1

You can read in the description: "lightweight and breathable". I sweat like a pig in it, lol. The deal with these is they claim to be at least 50 SPF.

I don't know the SPF of regular clothes, but I doubt it is up to 50 SPF, hence the dermatologist recommended these.

I just looked it up: regular clothing is only about 5 SPF so there a huge difference. I can often read through some shirts, so the fabric is useless for sun protection. See this:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/d...Vij%20explains.

I just went to the dermatologist yesterday and had a basal cell carcinoma biopsied. And about 30 little actinic thingies frozen off. Got the lecture about my Swedish skin, sigh.

Gosh, I miss the feel of the sun on my skin, but alas, no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty