Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
What is a waste money is a matter of opinion best left up to the individual doing the earning. That's part of your right to "the pursuit of happiness". You get to make those decisions and you don't have to care what the envious think about it.

Yeh..as an individual...Say yourself went out and bought that..whatever..I wouldnt care.
But you are also not representing the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 02:22 PM

734 posts, read 2,617,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I've been thinking about this quote since I read it, one can hardly call the Obama's poor. Their 2007 income was $4.2 million. But I guess according to your estimates that does make them middle-class, lol. I do think people tend to forget that the Obama's are wealthy themselves. Not as wealthy as the McCains, but wealthy all the same, and not your average American.
That's a quote he/she heard off of a commercial produced by the Democratic party. God I hate when people are so easily willed into drinking the Kool-Aid.

For those of us who saw the actual interview in which McCain said that, HE WAS JOKING. God forbid someone have a sense of humor, no matter how lame it might be. Immediately afterwards he even stated that he's sure that would be edited into some sort of negative campaign ad.

How bout this thread gets back on point regarding fashion, because those who want to gear it toward politics should either stick to the politics forum or at least be knowledgeable about what they discussing. Campaign ads you saw last night on TV while watching Everybody Loves Raymond = Kool-Aid. And that goes both ways too, I know.

/rant

Old 09-06-2008, 02:28 PM

I dont think there is anything funny about poverty.
Again = Tacky

Old 09-06-2008, 02:29 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
The post is going to get moved to the wicked 2008 presidential campaign board! lol

Look, admittedly I am an Obama supporter. But this is not partisan. I would hope whoever wins would have the decorum to have a toned down innauguration and the like...because the country is hurting. If you are serious about the campaign, don't disrespect the public. Remember what happened to HW Bush? He didn't know what a supermarket scanner was and the like and people felt he was too out of touch.

Well, if you are in an economy where over 1,000,000 people are about to be forclosed on and you are the spouse of the man who wants to lead the country, don't wear an outfit that costs more than most of these peoples homes. It could be a good way of ticking them off ("let them eat cake" and all...)

But hey, I'm for Obama...so if she wants to keep wearing $300,000 outfits and alienating voters...go for it!

Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM

LOL...

I support no one...Im just thinking logically here.

Just thinking of the relationship forums and how many people dont like the friends that flash this and that in thier face as far as items (clothes, house, whatever)

Its just plain thoughtless and tacky.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
hmm...I think some are replying are republican and not really looking at this for what it really is. EEEPNJ you summed it up short, sweet and true.
No, I am an Independent and am not impressed with any of our choices this year but I have no problem with what someone wears...truly.

Like I said before, if she were wearing something from a thrift store or Kmart people would be up in arms because she is trying to be a regular person...in this case, no one can ever win. That is the name of the game. Unfortunately, in this position, every move any of them make will be hyper analyzed.

I could never live that way.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 PM

LOL...I know me either...

I am not saying she needs to go to extremes but she could of just gotton a nice suit for 1000$ or so easily.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
LOL...I know me either...

I am not saying she needs to go to extremes but she could of just gotton a nice suit for 1000$ or so easily.
Yeah, I could never spend that kind of money on an outfit, just out of sheer guilt and I doubt I could enjoy wearing it for fear of someone getting makeup on me with a hug, or with my luck, one of my kids(toddlers) walking up behind me with chocolate on their faces and giving me a hug from behind

Old 09-06-2008, 03:03 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
It depends on how much you make. I'm sure Oprah spends money like that on clothes. If you don't make that kind of money you wouldn't buy clothes that expensive.
If anyone berated you for spending money you could afford on an outfit it would be because they were envious. People who aren't envious will say, "Good for you! I wish I could afford it too!"
Oprah's not running for President. Nor is her spouse.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Once you felt the thread count and smooth stitching...it would wash away the guilt.
LOL

Quality can be additive. I just think public officials should exercise control.
But if she spend oodles on a child's wedding..thats ok..because its an event. But daily wear is a bit over the top. At least in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty