Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,616,547 times

Advertisements

eBay them. Let someone else enjoy them if real furs are what they like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 10,305 times
Well, first I'd keep one for trips to cold weather.. but if you wish to unload them, the above suggestions are right on. BTW a furrier CAN restyle the coat into either a more contemporary jacket, or a reversible lined raincoat. In fact I saw one just re-made at my furrier the other day -- gorgeous.

If anyone does sell on ebay --as was posted -- be totally truthful about the condition, age, storage, odor, appearance of the fur and the lining-- noting any excesive wear or tears. Give useful measurements. Stating "I'm a size 8 and it fit me perfectly" does not advance your chance of sale.

Provide inside measurements:
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across the top
Armpit seams across the back (doubled is an approx bust size)

Outside measurements:
back of collar to cuff
shoulder to cuff
underarm to cuff
length from back to collar to hem
full distance across bust lapel to lapel
sweep across the hem

I have bought and sold many furs on eBay. Providing an accurate descrption and lots of quality pictures will guarantee a fair sale. Good Luck everyone.

Last edited by rongav; 08-01-2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-01-2009, 07:22 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,993,659 times
goodwill.

no one should be wearing fur in this day and age. what the animals go through just for rich people who have no soul.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,529,525 times
10,000 years ago having a fur coat was a necessity and showed you were a good hunter .. or sleeping with one. Now it shows you'd rather show your disdain for wildlife than wear materials much better for insulation and comfort.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:51 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
goodwill.

no one should be wearing fur in this day and age. what the animals go through just for rich people who have no soul.
What a fox or fisher cat or beaver or mink or such I trap goes through is quite humane. A quick, painless death. Nothing remotely as bad as how they would die left alone in the wild (starvation, disease, getting eaten). They don't get old in the wild. Anyone who understands nature and wildlife biology understands this.

And I'm not rich but I do wear fur...it's warmer and superior to any synthetic.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
10,000 years ago having a fur coat was a necessity and showed you were a good hunter .. or sleeping with one. Now it shows you'd rather show your disdain for wildlife than wear materials much better for insulation and comfort.
Fur is warmer than synthetics, depending on the type of fur anyways...and the synthetics are very bad for the environment (made from oil mostly, non-biodegradable, all the problems associated with extracting and refining oil, non-renewable) whereas fur is quite natural, biodegradable, and a renewable resource.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Fur looks is absolutely ugly on a human. And, the way in which they torture animals (skinning them alive because shooting them damages the quality of the fur) is beyond repulsive. Throw them in the trash.
It looks quite appropriate on humans...if we didn't use them for thousands and thousands of years we would have froze to death...

And absolute lies. Animals are not skinned alive. The only instance I know of that happening was in a Chinese factory...it was stopped when it was found, and you wouldn't catch an American or European producer doing such a thing...the Chinese don't even treat humans with any level of respect, can't expect them to treat animals humanely either. That needs to change but it's a cultural and political thing in China, not part of the international fur trade...

Stressing an animal actually lowers the quality of fur so a painful, inhumane death would be counter productive. I use a .22 on all the furbearers I trap that are not trapped in a conibear trap (a conibear, a.k.a., body gripping trap, kills instantly). On the fur ranches other methods are used but the method common in the U.S. (euthanising with gas) has been tested to ensure it's humane...lots of info. here that may help dispel some of the myths generated by animal rights groups: Fur Farming in North America (http://www.furcommission.com/farming/index.html - broken link)

Old 08-01-2009, 08:26 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,993,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What a fox or fisher cat or beaver or mink or such I trap goes through is quite humane. A quick, painless death. Nothing remotely as bad as how they would die left alone in the wild (starvation, disease, getting eaten). They don't get old in the wild. Anyone who understands nature and wildlife biology understands this.

And I'm not rich but I do wear fur...it's warmer and superior to any synthetic.

umm ever hear of mink or rabbit farms? there are plenty of them. seals get clubbed to death in canada.
i dont consider any of these inhumane.

looks like i may not understand nature or wildlife biology, but i know when it is unessecery to kill animals for something as selfish as a jacket.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
umm ever hear of mink or rabbit farms? there are plenty of them. seals get clubbed to death in canada.
i dont consider any of these inhumane.

looks like i may not understand nature or wildlife biology, but i know when it is unessecery to kill animals for something as selfish as a jacket.
Quite familiar. Did you read the link I posted earlier? A lot of the seals in Canada are shot not clubbed. Regardless, a strong quick blow in the right spot knocks them out instantly, they don't know what hit them...

I wouldn't call a jacket selfish...without one in cold weather you'll freeze. And I'd prefer to not be using synthetics.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,481,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Animals are not skinned alive. The only instance I know of that happening was in a Chinese factory...it was stopped when it was found, and you wouldn't catch an American or European producer doing such a thing...the Chinese don't even treat humans with any level of respect, can't expect them to treat animals humanely either. That needs to change but it's a cultural and political thing in China, not part of the international fur trade...

Fur Farming in North America (http://www.furcommission.com/farming/index.html - broken link)
Would you like to make a friendly bet on that? It only happened once in China? And no American or European fur producer would skin an animal alive? All you need to do is tell me which news sources you would believe, since you don't believe a thing any animal rights' group says. BBC, Reuters, WNN, AP, CNN - which one? Or would you consider reports done by law schools?

The link you usually show and have shown here is a PR site for the fur farms industry. Hardly an unbiased agenda there. What do you think they'd say? They'll sell you 'absolute lies.' I wouldn't believe what they say to promote their agenda any more than you believe what an animal welfare site would say.

Clubbing seals: Baby seals are supposed to be shot, not clubbed. That's the law, isn't it? That certainly doesn't mean that it's done in the legal way. And then you say, "regardless" of whether or not the animals are clubbed, 'one swift [illegal] blow should do it.' Should, but doesn't. Again, want to make a friendly bet that it doesn't work that way you think?

I don't think it's OK to club an animal to death, whether it's expedient or not. Because I surely don't think it's legal.

CLOTHING: New-generation synthetic cold-weather clothing is recyclable and has been for decades. It makes good use of the billions of tons of plastics we've already produced. No new production of plastics is needed.

Fur wearing is absolutely unnecessary. It is done out of preference, not need.

Here we go again...isn't this off-topic????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty