Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The older generation was not raised with either the information or the value system.......amongst the younger set aging is somewhat frowned on, because we've been told all our lives we have options! It's called anti aging, maybe you've heard of it. Popular mainstream topic since the 90s!
You mean values like "pretty is as pretty does" and "don't judge a book by it's cover"? Those values? Agree that those seem to be a bit lacking lately. I'm all for looking good but it's possible to look good without a snarky attitude toward others and what works for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Drugstore products did absolutely nothing for me in terms of wrinkle prevention or reduction. I used Olay products almost exclusively in the 2000s & regret it. My skin hasn't been this tight, smooth, glowing & healthy in years, really Retin-a is the best thing I ever put on my face, wish I'd started using it sooner. It only cost me $50 from a Mexican pharmacy & will take at least 6 months to use it up, making it only slightly more expensive per year than Olay. I would never suggest drugstore products to someone who really wanted to get rid of or prevent wrinkles. It's not good information. Maybe another thread should be started, "skincare products that you like". I understand a lot of people like drugstore stuff like Olay & feel it does something for them. The dermatology establishment has stated that it is ineffective.....I am not beholden to something that doesn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You mean values like "pretty is as pretty does" and "don't judge a book by it's cover"? Those values? Agree that those seem to be a bit lacking lately. I'm all for looking good but it's possible to look good without a snarky attitude toward others and what works for them.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 03-13-2011 at 11:41 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 03:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
The dermatology establishment has stated that it is ineffective.....I am not beholden to something that doesn't work.
What is the "dermatoloy establishment"?

I have a dermatologist. She knows I use Oil of Olay and has told me, more than once, that I have great skin. She's never recommended anything else. She has a well-known practice in L.A. and it's not like she just fell off the turnip truck.

My husband has a different dermatologist. His has TOLD him to use Oil of Olay because he is a horseback riding enthusiast and is out in the sun a lot. The dermatologists here (and there's one on every corner where I live) recommend Oil of Olay as a sun block/skin cream all the time. (It's well-known in the riding community here and the skiing community in SoCal.)

Just wondering...

Old 03-13-2011, 03:38 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Sure your dermatologist recommended Olay for general skin care, not for wrinkle reduction/prevention. There are currently no drugstore skincare products that have been seriously studied or proven to be effective the way Retin-a has. I pulled up articles from the Australian medical establishment stating that Olay Regenerist which contains pentapeptides was proven to be ineffective. It is a good moisturizer and that's it. I'm wondering why you went to a derm if you don't have wrinkles, photoaging issues, or some specific skin related problem.
Quote:
=DewDropInn;18261578]What is the "dermatoloy establishment"?
I have a dermatologist. She knows I use Oil of Olay and has told me, more than once, that I have great skin. She's never recommended anything else. She has a well-known practice in L.A. and it's not like she just fell off the turnip truck.

My husband has a different dermatologist. His has TOLD him to use Oil of Olay because he is a horseback riding enthusiast and is out in the sun a lot. The dermatologists here (and there's one on every corner where I live) recommend Oil of Olay as a sun block/skin cream all the time. (It's well-known in the riding community here and the skiing community in SoCal.)

Just wondering...

Old 03-13-2011, 03:39 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
I've also observed it's effectiveness, on my mother... until she was 84 years old and passed away.

I didnt just pick it out of the blue.

BUT it's a fact that everyone's skin is different, they wont all respond the same to any given product.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
Has any oe heard about or use matrixyll3000

Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I'm wondering why you went to a derm if you don't have wrinkles, photoaging issues, or some specific skin related problem.
Allergies. Like a lot of people I get rashes from certain foods. She usually says something like, "You shouldn't have had the won-tons. They probably had shellfish."

(I've told you I am a delicate flower. )

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-13-2011 at 04:03 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I guess "proof is in the pudding" as they say - I want to see pictures and honest age given for people that post how good looking they are, etc.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Matryxill 300 is a peptide that supposedly works similarly to Botox, and can be applied topically. It works by making the muscles unable to respond (such as when you frown or smile). If that's what you're into, you can buy a 32-ounce pump bottle of no-label Faitoz-25 from the manufacturer for under $300; that's less than $10/ounce. The stuff retails for $55/ounce.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Anon - What do you know about products made in Mexico? Are they safe? Do they have standards to meet?

(All the Mexican women I know use avacados slathered on their face as their beauty secret.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty