Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:05 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times

Advertisements

So it's 16F outside and snow everywhere and you have a series of social engagements to attend. I'll paint some scenarios and I'd love to hear what your style is, what age group you are and what YOU would wear in each scenario.

1. You're going to a tourist village and will be in and out of buildings all day, walking around and enjoying all the village has to offer. For lunch you will be joined at a restaurant by your partner's family, some of whom you'll be meeting for the first time. It will be a more formal sit down lunch, not cafe style. And the family members you've not met yet will be of the same generation as your grandparents.

2. You're going to a large, world class concert hall for a lunch time jazz concert. After the concert you're planning on doing some sightseeing around the area.

3. You're going to a high end restaurant for dinner with your partner. It's a special occasion and afterwards you're planning on attending a sell out theatre show at a beautifully appointed theatre.

4. You're going to see a friend's band on a Friday night at a popular music venue. There's a good chance it will be quite warm inside and you'll be standing up for most of the evening.

I'd like to know the complete outfit YOU would wear in each of these circumstances, from hats, coats and gloves all the way down to your footwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:20 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
If it's only 16F outside with snow on the ground, the most important thing would be the proper outerwear. If the sidewalks are clear, just wear whatever shoes you want with your indoor outfits. But I suppose having a good selection of comfortable boots would also be in order.

So if you are attending all the situations described, a couple of nice winter coats in different lengths and weights and a couple of pairs of really nice boots. Tall boots are "in" this year. And accessorize with some beautiful scarves and gloves.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:10 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
First, if it is 16*F I'm not going to be going anywhere unless it is absolutly necessary.

But, if the temperature is reasonable and I am going out this is what I would wear:

Scenario 1 - the family luncheon

I would wear silk slacks in a seasonal color, for me usually black or navy. A smart, matching blouse and a sweater or jacket. Shoes would be color matching comfortable flats or very low heel in a classic style. Keep the jewelry minimal and the hair appropriate for the occasion. When it comes to meeting parents and grandparents, I think less is better. Try to sophisticated rather than ostentatious.

Scenario 2 - the concert

Business suit, probably in black, navy, or gray, with a very sexy blouse in a jewel tone, emerald, ruby, saphire, topaz. Low, styliish heeled shoes, possible open toe, depending on weather. Add some glamorous jewelry maybe a bracelet, of course earrings. Not too much glitz, but some. A knee length coat to wear afterward if the weather warrants.

Scenario 3 - high end rest. / theater

Black evening dress, tea length or longer. Black tinted stockings, a velvet cape or fur coat depending on temperature. Very high heels and glitzy jewelry. Hair up but not looking too "fixed".

Scenario 4 - band night

My favorite old jeans and a camisole. Converse low tops or sandles. Hair down and straight. Multiple skinny bangle bracelets and long, dangling earrings would be my only jewelry.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 AM

754 posts, read 1,922,775 times
1. Tourist Village - Would wear silk longjohns. Wear a long wool skirt or shorter with textured tights in a conservative color such as black, brown or gray (my favorite) wear gray with all gray. Say a silk gray blouse under a gray sweater. or, a mustard colored sweater of silk blouse. Boots are a must - but low hills. In 16f there is sure to be some ice or sludge somewhere. Wear gloves and if you love color - put it here in red or blue. Take a medium weight full length jacket because you have all the layering and should be just toasty if wearing the longjohns, tights and/or long skirt. Hat? Would have to opt for a scarve- this is a nice, practical and traditional piece and could also double as a wrap if eatery or shop becomes a bit nippy but you certainly wouldn't want to wear the coat.

2. Concert Hall and sightseeing - too easy Jazz, Concert Hall and then sightseeing - black, knee length skirt with shiny boots of some sort. Hat would be a russian influence. More color in this one such as a red/green/blue sweater.

3. Time to pull out the shiny. You didn't say anything about walking so I must think you have a car or driver? Nice dress, pumps, no hat and full length coat - the weight doesn't really matter as you won't be in the cold unless you are self parking - then go for the fur, fuax or real - depending on your preference with a hood.

4. Band -can't say as don't know the genre. If rock - black or gray wool pants, upper knee boots with low or no hill - think western. and a black turtle neck - I know you said warm - but how warm can it get inside with 16f out? Wear a short sleeve underneath if you aren't sure and go to the ladies room to disrobe. Lots of chain jewelry. Coat? Pea, scarve and no hat (beret if you must) - scarve serves double duty again.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:29 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,122 times
There's a site where you can mix and match clothing to suit what you want. It'll probably be a good guide:

H&M - Fashion Studio

Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,122 times
JCPenney: Remix Your Look

Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,076 times
a fun game! I am 27 and live in Indiana:

1. I would wear gray wool trousers with boots underneath (black either flat or with slight heel)--on top a black v-neck sweater with a brightly colored dress shirt underneath (maybe orange or pink)--and a small conservative short necklace.

2. I would wear a neutral colored skirt knee length with different colored tights and either boots or booties. On top I would wear a printed shirt (with the color of the tights in it) and a jacket--so maybe a gray skirt with fall orange tights, on top a printed shirt with orange in it and a black jacket.

3. I would wear pumps with a heel (however probably not too substantial if snowing 2" maybe) with a long sleeve knee length dress (A line fit) with black tights and a wrap for around my shoulders when not wearing my black wool coat.

4. I would wear straight leg dark denim jeans with sporty/casual tie shoes with a waffle knit henley on top with a zip up vest over that.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:10 PM

96 posts, read 380,763 times
Great comments here. I'd like to know what you think of faux-fur jackets for concerts and theatre? Or is wool always the best?

Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
I prefer real fur. Faux fur isn't very warm either.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:32 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,371 times
wow that;s a lot to go through

i am 34. i prefer wool coats (short and long). whatever you wear, please don't wear mainly black. choose colors, make an impression on these new family members.
jcrew has really cute styles.
get a wool skirt, some nice tights, boots (fitting to leg) not high heels, i love stuart weitzman boots, but sam edelman has good ones too. (silk top, i can't say no enough to silk anything), get a blazer, accessorize the outfit with a nice scarf (ann taylor/cashmere) or banana republic or jcrew. gloves of course. go rock it. important things to remember, warm and comfy. if you're cold you'll be moody
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty