Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:11 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times

Advertisements

My goodness!! I am so disgusted . There needs to be a store that is in the middle. Just because I'm a mom, I'm not trying to wear "mom" jeans or the lastest "cruise wear" looking stuff I just saw in Dillards today. Nor am I striving for American Eagle, or those type of teeny bopper places. There needs to be a grown up version of Hollister.

I'm looking for fashionable, unique, cute, and not car payment-esque type costs (okay, maybe my very first car the Tercel, $211.00 per month in 1989). But I digress, is there anywhere?? NO Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, JC Penney or mallish stores. It's like the same ugly stuff. Are there any cute boutique stores that are not an arm and a leg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Check out Bodenusa.com It's from England and I think their stuff is fresh and different. Also anthropology has cute stuff, but is a bit pricier.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 PM

48 posts, read 161,844 times
I do a great deal of online shopping... Brands like Donna Karen, Calvin Klein, Levi's and BCBG do it for me... keeping it simple and accessories do the trick...Stylish, sexy and age appropriate. Check out gojane.com and metrostyle.com

Old 02-07-2010, 06:13 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
My goodness!! I am so disgusted . There needs to be a store that is in the middle. Just because I'm a mom, I'm not trying to wear "mom" jeans or the lastest "cruise wear" looking stuff I just saw in Dillards today. Nor am I striving for American Eagle, or those type of teeny bopper places. There needs to be a grown up version of Hollister.

I'm looking for fashionable, unique, cute, and not car payment-esque type costs (okay, maybe my very first car the Tercel, $211.00 per month in 1989). But I digress, is there anywhere?? NO Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, JC Penney or mallish stores. It's like the same ugly stuff. Are there any cute boutique stores that are not an arm and a leg?

It's funny that you say this because I feel exactly the same way and I am a guy. I feel like there is nothing for me to buy either. I'll often have money and will go shopping and I won't buy anything because it is so lame or trendy. I hate Ed hardy, Abercrombie, anything trendy. Yuck.

I am mid thirties myself and I don't want to be pidgeon holed into gap, abercrombie, or J-crew, whatever, etc, etc. I want options as well.

Having said all that, I will add that from my experience, I think that you have to live in places like NYC or LA to get what people like you and I are looking for. I am not a weird dresser or nothing, I am just picky and I feel like I have my own idea of what it is that I am looking for and I look for it. I just rarely every find it. If I do they most likely will not have the size that fits me.I used to live in LA and I could find things there. When I go to NY, I can usually find exactly what it is I am looking for there too. For my specific tastes, NY is the best for finding certain things for me, but can be pricey. Same thing for LA.

I have lived in several other large cities and I could only find the same type of stores everywhere you go. Nothing really unigue or different. However, NYC and LA are different in that regard.

If you can travel to one of those places especially NYC and take a wholed day to go all over the place looking for things. And p.s. bring a lot of money.

Other than that though, I totally am with you on this. We need more options in the smaller and mid size cities. We are becoming to similar. That is why I still like the really big cities of America for that extra option when shopping.

Side note: What's up with all of the shoes and sneekers today too. So ugly, It takes me about a year to find a sneaker or boot because there are so few options. Style wise outside of LA and NY we are pretty much served with the same garbage from one city to another.

Sorry so long, try some sites on the computer. I don't know any, but I am sure that if you tried you could find them. The problem with these for me is that I need to try something on before buying it. That's why I think buying clothes over the computer can be very difficult.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:10 PM

Thanks everyone. I am interested in Boden, and have been looking for a few months now. Their stuff looks good. I am hesistant like the previous poster Superman said about not being able to try on. I do need to try on. Truth NJ, gonna check out those sites however.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:27 PM

Okay, help me understand this...Miu Miu*|*Cropped stretch-cotton pants*|*NET-A-PORTER.COM

Why are these CROPPED pants $450?? I understand they are designer, but other than the uber rich who in the heck buys this type of thing?? They are regular fabric, not interwoven in gold or something!!

Just like in the magazines, Oprah, and the rest. They talk about the latest, whatever thing, and it is priced ridiculously high.

I just want to buy clothes that I like and not feel I'm being violated in the process. I used to go to thrift stores, but not anymore, too depressing.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Okay, help me understand this...Miu Miu*|*Cropped stretch-cotton pants*|*NET-A-PORTER.COM

Why are these CROPPED pants $450?? I understand they are designer, but other than the uber rich who in the heck buys this type of thing?? They are regular fabric, not interwoven in gold or something!!

Just like in the magazines, Oprah, and the rest. They talk about the latest, whatever thing, and it is priced ridiculously high.

I just want to buy clothes that I like and not feel I'm being violated in the process. I used to go to thrift stores, but not anymore, too depressing.
I cannot help you understand. I myself don't understand. "Great deal priced at $100 each." "Great deal priced at $200 each."

A hundred bucks goes FAST. I don't get it. I can only surmise that this is why people are in SERIOUS credit debt. Don't fall for it. $450 for cropped pants is hysterically outrageous.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 AM

522 posts, read 1,405,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth NJ View Post
I do a great deal of online shopping... Brands like Donna Karen, Calvin Klein, Levi's and BCBG do it for me... keeping it simple and accessories do the trick...Stylish, sexy and age appropriate. Check out gojane.com and metrostyle.com
I love gojane.com but I wouldn't recommend it for someone in their 40s though.

It's hard to recommend a store that isn't "mallish" since the stores in the malls are chains. Boutiques tend to be stand alone stores that vary within region.

I would recommend New York and Company. It's not super trendy but it's not "mom". I'm 27 and I shop there for a more adult wardrobe. I love Banana Republic by the way, also J.Crew.

You're going to find most of the same stuff, or similar because that's just how fashion is. Whatever is trendy at the time is what's going to be mostly in stock in just about every store.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Overstock, Forver21/Love21, Macy's, Kohl's, Target, Bluefly.com

You can always try it on at home and return it if you don't like it.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I am interested in Boden, and have been looking for a few months now. Their stuff looks good. I am hesistant like the previous poster Superman said about not being able to try on. I do need to try on. Truth NJ, gonna check out those sites however.
FYI, right now Boden is running 10% off plus free shipping, so you wouldn't be out anything on a return. I've found their stuff runs roomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty