Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,884 times

Advertisements

What if you have oily skin? Or perspire on warm days? Water alone will never get rid of the oil. Or the smell of sweat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I know people that swear by water only, and that's pretty much what I do in the mornings unless I've been to the gym. But at night, after all the goo and glop that gets stuck to my face during the day, I need something a little more substantial.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:15 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
I used to use products (that you can buy at Target but expensive ones) to clean my face because it's oily...But I've given up on that because it cost money. I wash my face with warm-hot water. It really helps my face, especially with the oil. The product stuff help but didn't help until the water came into the picture. Now my face is a lot more clean and clear.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
I didn't wash my face twice a day for a while in my 30s, big mistake. I've been washing twice a day and using a Clarisonic at night and my skin is 100% better than it used to be. You can't not wash your face, you won't remove the dead skin cells and will have more problems down the road:

Take it easy on your skin - CNN

Leslie Baumann, board certified dermatologist, says you need to wash twice a day with a mild cleanser. My skin is drier than it used to be but I still benefit from washing twice a day. I use a soap called Rhassoul.

Rhassoul Cleansing Bar | NCN Pro Skincare

A Clarisonic is an investment but well worth it!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I have something VERY similar to the Clarisonic. It has not only the brushes but something like buffing pads to slough off old skin. Think it was given to me in the early 70's. Made by Clairol? Or Norelco?

Here's a thought lemon&lime: Maybe my skin is good because I've been using things like this for 35 plus years?

Old 03-14-2011, 03:43 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Anyone do this?

I was having tickley winter skin and figured out it may of been from my peppermint facewash use. I have sensitive skin so I always just go water only and use only one product until I find the "naughty" one. ;P

Anyway I have just been using hot water and a cotton washcloth to clean my face. I feel like that has been getting my skin cleaner than using washes! (thanks hard city water ) I lay the cloth on my face to make it sweat and then swipe. I keep doing that until the washcloth wipes nothing out. Rather gross how much crap comes off the face even when you don't wear a speck of makeup. It does make me wonder how much pollution contributes to skin cancers and accelerated age. But that is another thread.

The only problem is that I notice a lot of "almost pimples" coming off my cheek area.

I would like to avoid cheek breakouts if that is whats happening next, but if this is a great clearing of the pores I don't want to avoid that.

I only seem to need face lotions every otherday with this type of facial cleansing. I rotate youth as we know it and alpha hydroxy 10%.

Anyone use this method for years? ( no cleanser, only water)
My cheeks feel like a baby's!
I use hot water and red shop rags during the day to clean my face. In the morning when I shower I use Clearasil daily face wash to cut the grease, oil, pipe dope and whatever crap I have completely off. Sometimes my face looks black at work. It just makes my million dollar white/straight smile look better.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bad-John View Post
I use hot water and red shop rags during the day to clean my face. In the morning when I shower I use Clearasil daily face wash to cut the grease, oil, pipe dope and whatever crap I have completely off. Sometimes my face looks black at work. It just makes my million dollar white/straight smile look better.
Do you shave?

Shaving is one of the reasons a man of 70 usually has better skin than a woman of 70. The man has been sloughing off dead skin cells every morning since he hit puberty.

I've had a couple of people-in-the-know tell me women should save. But there's no money to be made in telling women to get the $3.00 BIC, stand in the shower, soap up their faces and improve their complexion.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you shave?

Shaving is one of the reasons a man of 70 usually has better skin than a woman of 70. The man has been sloughing off dead skin cells every morning since he hit puberty.

I've had a couple of people-in-the-know tell me women should save. But there's no money to be made in telling women to get the $3.00 BIC, stand in the shower, soap up their faces and improve their complexion.
I do shave. My whiskys grow really fast and are dark. Sometimes I shave every day. Most of the time it is every other. It depends on who I want to impress. Both looks seem to be working out for me.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
I can tell a difference when I don't use my Clarisonic, skin just doesn't feel as clean. I've read a lot of people use something called the microfiber cloth. It's a very affordable alternative to the Clarisonic:
Microfiber Cleansing Cloth | Exfoliate | NCN Pro Skincare

Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I didn't wash my face twice a day for a while in my 30s, big mistake. I've been washing twice a day and using a Clarisonic at night and my skin is 100% better than it used to be. You can't not wash your face, you won't remove the dead skin cells and will have more problems down the road:

I disagree. I wash my face only when I shower, which honestly is just two or three times a week, and occasionally if I have on a whole lot of makeup from a fashion show, and my skin is fine. It's clear and supple and I get complimented for it.

People are way too obsessive about "hygiene". Unless you're doing something that actually gets you dirty, there's no need to wash yourself multiple times a day. You're probably doing more harm than good. If you're constantly washing away the natural oils from your skin, it's just going to produce more to compensate. Maybe there's some variation from person to person because of genetics, but I think in general people over wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty