Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Well, I consider it fashion because if it were 1975 you would not have gotten those tattooos. You got them because it has become a popular trend in society. That's pretty much my definition of fashion.

Actually, I got them because I started studying ancient Egyptian art when I was in the 4th grade and was very interested in the fact that you could tell a story with your skin. I was also interested throughout my schooling in tribal art and storytelling...

I've been drawing out my tattoos since I was 11 years old. In fact, part of the one on my upper left arm is from a drawing I did when I was in the 6th grade. Nobody I knew then (save for my parents) had tattoos. I always wanted tattoos, always wanted decorated skin and was always interested in it. I started looking for an artist at 16, though I couldn't get tattooed until I was 18.

So no, I did not get them to be 'popular' and go with a 'trend' in society. In fact, the vast majority of my friends and the people I spend time with have no tattoos, including most of my family (except for my parents and sister), my in-laws, and my boyfriend. I would fit in better with them if I didn't have any tattoos at all.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, I got them because I started studying ancient Egyptian art when I was in the 4th grade and was very interested in the fact that you could tell a story with your skin. I was also interested throughout my schooling in tribal art and storytelling...

I've been drawing out my tattoos since I was 11 years old. In fact, part of the one on my upper left arm is from a drawing I did when I was in the 6th grade. Nobody I knew then (save for my parents) had tattoos. I always wanted tattoos, always wanted decorated skin and was always interested in it. I started looking for an artist at 16, though I couldn't get tattooed until I was 18.

So no, I did not get them to be 'popular' and go with a 'trend' in society. In fact, the vast majority of my friends and the people I spend time with have no tattoos, including most of my family (except for my parents and sister), my in-laws, and my boyfriend. I would fit in better with them if I didn't have any tattoos at all.
Well let's imagine that tattoos are not a fashion and that you would have gotten tattoos despite the fact that only sailors and bikers would have them. Fair enough. But the thread isn’t really about you specifically. And I can pretty much guarantee you that all the folks who now have tattoos did not hit upon the idea right out of the blue. People see that celebrities are getting tattoos, and people see their friends, and yes, family members, are getting tattoos. It is, simply put, a fashion. And like I said, getting a tattoo seems to me to be a little too much effort to conform to the fashion of those celebrities and peers.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Well let's imagine that tattoos are not a fashion and that you would have gotten tattoos despite the fact that only sailors and bikers would have them. Fair enough. But the thread isn’t really about you specifically. And I can pretty much guarantee you that all the folks who now have tattoos did not hit upon the idea right out of the blue. People see that celebrities are getting tattoos, and people see their friends, and yes, family members, are getting tattoos. It is, simply put, a fashion. And like I said, getting a tattoo seems to me to be a little too much effort to conform to the fashion of those celebrities and peers.

Well, I can't expect everyone to get it. Yes, many many people get tattoos simply because of fashion or because their favorite celebrity got one. But... you cannot lump everyone into the same category which is what I am trying to get across.

It's like saying 'All Republicans are racist, elderly white people' and then you find that there's a mishmash of every type of person is a member of that party. Maybe you'll walk away without a stereotype you once may have subscribed too. I guess that's the point I'm making. You can assume all you want about a person with tattoos, but you absolutely cannot tell by looking at them why they got those. It may mean something ridiculously personal, like a tattoo for a fallen soldier or deceased family member... but you would assume they got it simply for fashion or to fit in.

Maybe it's just me...but I can't think in a world of absolutes that way. Everyone is different and you absolutely cannot tell their motives by sight alone. That's all

Old 04-08-2010, 11:20 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
I have wanted tattoos to go out of style since I first noticed them becoming popular in 1990. I have spent almost half my life on a daily basis thinking about how much I don't like tattoos. But obviously they are here to stay. Even if they ever became unfashionable...it's too late, tons of people have them already and will have them for life.

I once wrote an essay about how much I don't like tattoos. If you do a search on "I miss the pre-tattoo era" by cleancut...that's me.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have wanted tattoos to go out of style since I first noticed them becoming popular in 1990. I have spent almost half my life on a daily basis thinking about how much I don't like tattoos. But obviously they are here to stay. Even if they ever became unfashionable...it's too late, tons of people have them already and will have them for life.

I once wrote an essay about how much I don't like tattoos. If you do a search on "I miss the pre-tattoo era" by cleancut...that's me.

You probably spend as much time sitting around thinking about how much you don't like tattoos as I do sitting around admiring them and drawing new ones.

We all have our things, I suppose

Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
I keep seeing references to tattoos being a "fashion". This confuses me. I was at a lovely mall last week and while being dazzled with 7 jeans, Burberry and Louis Vuitton I didn't notice a single tattoo store. I consider tattoos to be an art form.
As for conformity, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we all conform to society. It's just the way life works unless you live like a hermit, grow your own food and make your own clothing. And why do past eras come up so often in these discussion? I wasn't around then to notice that only sailors and bikers had tattoos and cute little southern belles weren't supposed to ink up their skin so it's a completely useless argument to me.
As for being a little off... Perhaps. I wanted a tattoo when I was 10. Of course, I also wanted to be a pirate and a vampire too.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:37 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Women+tattoos= Sexy. There's just something about that whole Suicide Girls look...

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 04-09-2010 at 05:37 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 05:41 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:

You've spent half your life dwelling on your hatred of tattoos? A little obsessive, wouldn't you say?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:41 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
II have spent almost half my life on a daily basis thinking about how much I don't like tattoos.
Wow. Are you happy with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Women+tattoos= Sexy.
This

I'd also like to thank JetJockey for putting up such an eloquent defense of people who enjoy tattoos. I also have always been interested in tattoos. I remember was about 7 years old and drawing pictures with my cousin. We drew pictures of what we would look like when we grew up. I envisioned myself hairy, muscly and covered with tattoos. I came fairly close to hitting the nail on the head.

I also have some piercings and have done some some suspension. I also shake my head when I see a person walk into a tattoo shop and ask for the heart tattoo from the flash art. One of my tats is my own fingerprint-my tribute to originality-as I figure no one else in the history or future of the world is likely to have my fingerprint tattooed upon them. I designed all my tattoos myself and all of them speak to who I was at a certain time. Times change, people change, but looking at myself now helps to remind me where I come from.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I keep seeing references to tattoos being a "fashion". This confuses me. I was at a lovely mall last week and while being dazzled with 7 jeans, Burberry and Louis Vuitton I didn't notice a single tattoo store. I consider tattoos to be an art form.
As for conformity, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we all conform to society. It's just the way life works unless you live like a hermit, grow your own food and make your own clothing. And why do past eras come up so often in these discussion? I wasn't around then to notice that only sailors and bikers had tattoos and cute little southern belles weren't supposed to ink up their skin so it's a completely useless argument to me.
As for being a little off... Perhaps. I wanted a tattoo when I was 10. Of course, I also wanted to be a pirate and a vampire too.
Here's is what I've been saying; I look at tattoos as a fashion for the vast majority of people who have them. Many people who deny that they are getting them to be trendy eiother are not being forthright, or they haven't completely examined their motives. When tattoos were not the style, how many people had them? How many people said, "I want a rose [or a ship, or barbed wire] as a tattoo, and I'm going to get one." How many people? Very very few. And that's the litmus test.

Yes we all conform to fashion to some degree. In my first post I said as much. I said that for me there is a line that I won't cross when it comes to fashion. I'll get shoes that don't make me look like a hobo. I'll by a pair of pants that look like they were on the rack sometime after 1970, even if it cost me an extra $4. But when it comes to tattoos, no, won't do it. I think the main reason is that they are essentially irreversible. I saw on TV a 20-something girl with a spider web tattoo going up her neck. I had to wonder if maybe she did not consider the fact that she just might live beyond the age of 30.

Another factor is pain. It's got to hurt. Yet another factor is cost and overall hassle. It all comes down to my thinking that if you really want a tattoo, then you are putting in a lot of effort to conform to either your peers, tattooed celebrities, or someone. The person wouldn't get one in 1975, when it was not the fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty