Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I voted for the latter. End of story, as far as I'm concerned. Women should not feel compelled to wear makeup at all.

That does not mean they can't wear it, only that they should not feel compelled to do so.
THAT WASN'T THE POINT OF THE OP.

The OP has friends who say that if a woman doesn't wear a full face (aka, if she only wears foundation and mascara) she shouldn't even bother because her face is "incomplete."

It wasn't about "should women be compelled to wear makeup," it's "if a woman doesn't apply a full face, should she even bother putting any makeup on at all?"

I can't even believe the way you're arguing. You're going on about how it has to be either "women NEED to wear makeup to be beautiful" or "women shouldn't wear makeup." There are not just two positions.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I'm done arguing. I think my position is clear. Crystal clear.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:57 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times

Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times
I would love to wear makeup, but I can't as much as I would like to. (Because of my age, I probably don't need it anyway, lol)

It is always so itchy after I put it on, and bits of it always manages to get into my eyes throughout the day. Then, there is the heat and humidity. I always sweat and get oily very easily around my face, so I hardly use foundation (I bought a new one to try out though. It is matte, so maybe it won't be as oily on me?) I normally just wear lip gloss, lip stick, eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara.

Full face makeup should only be for special occasions, or if you have something major that you want to cover up. There really is no need to wear it every day, that is just a waste of time. I usually go full face every once in a while when I feel the need to be extra cute.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I was talking with some friends and they said they hate to see women with an incomplete 'face' meaning they have on make up but it's not completed and they might as well not put on any make up at all. They said you are suppose to at least have on:

foundation/power
eyeshadow
blush
mascara
eyeliner
eyebrows shaped
Lipgloss/Lipstick

you can add more like concealer, bronzer, etc. if needed but you at least need to be wearing the basics or you might as well not wear any make up at all.

Do you agree?
I disagree with the blush and foundation. They are not really needed for many people (and are just a way for the company to get extra dough). I think that a woman can wear incomplete if she likes. As a matter of fact, I think that incomplete is better than complete on some women.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:14 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That does not mean they can't wear it, only that they should not feel compelled to do so.
Well at least that's fair!

And, as long as someone doesn't end up looking like a Tammy Faye Baker (R.I.P) joke, then full face is fine with me.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:31 PM

114 posts, read 127,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
rumandcoke,

No one cares what you wear, but you do not stand for all Southern women, not even all of a certain class of Southern women. I also wish you would say what you mean rather than saying bless your heart or sweetie when we all know what you really mean. I have never met you at the Piedmont I am sure, and I doubt I ever will. If you are truly as familiar with the South as you say you are, you know what I mean and you will refrain from calling me or any other member of my family backwoods. You are the one that is insulting, when you try to insinuate just because you are from a suburb of Atlanta you are upper class and the rest of us are not. I really do think you need to visit where I am from, because I know exactly which section you are from. Once again class cannot be bought, but it can be shown.
If no one cares what I wear then why have I been attacked over my desire to wear make up throughout my waking hours? Why have you repeatedly felt the urge to tell me that high society ladies in your community go without make up? I don't. Move on. Being a Southern woman doesn't mean that you let people say what they want to say and get away with it.

I never called YOU backwoods. I called Alabama backwoods. I never said that places outside of Atlanta were low class. I said that Atlanta has a level of sophistication that's hard to find in other areas of the South.
Sorry if you're offended, but it's how I see it. If you take that to mean that any locale outside of Atlanta is low class, so be it. That's an issue with your comprehension, not with my thoughts.

If you and Alabama are as classy as you claim, you shouldn't care what I have to say. Just go on living your life and I will go on living mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thank you!
Girl, bye.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:51 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
With regards to the OP's friends - If it bothers them that women who do wear makeup don't apply it according to their standards, too bad! Who are they, anyway? It's a very superficial thing to spend one's time debating.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
Being a Southern woman doesn't mean that you let people say what they want to say and get away with it.
Being a Southern lady means not being snarky and sarcastic because a fellow Southern lady doesn't follow your personal fashion rules.

Honestly, you just sound like a bad joke to me. All of this "I get the vapors something awful" and "hotter than a fresh blueberry tart" nonsense? You're more scripted than an episode of As The World Turns.

Cheers, honey.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Being a Southern lady means not being snarky and sarcastic because a fellow Southern lady doesn't follow your personal fashion rules.

Honestly, you just sound like a bad joke to me. All of this "I get the vapors something awful" and "hotter than a fresh blueberry tart" nonsense? You're more scripted than an episode of As The World Turns.

Cheers, honey.
Maybe she is an older woman? I'm in the South and I hear the older ladies (of different socioeconomic backgrounds) say such every now and then. I think that it is a product of their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty