Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:50 AM

733 posts, read 1,756,878 times

Advertisements

Now keep in mind that before I moved to Bentonville five months ago, the largest town I lived in only had 25,000 people, so this may actually be the norm in more larger areas, but I'm completely shocked at the constant site of development here in NWA! I'm constantly noticing more housing developments and am always hearing about new businesses coming in. I had no idea a Dunkin Donuts was set to open this December in Bentonville and also heard that a Cracker Barrel and Chipotle are also set to begin construction soon in Bentonville. There is also current construction going on for the new Macadoodles. Has this sort of development always been going on here or has it only started to occur within the last five or so years? Am I over reacting with this? Is this kind of development normal in metros of this size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Now keep in mind that before I moved to Bentonville five months ago, the largest town I lived in only had 25,000 people, so this may actually be the norm in more larger areas, but I'm completely shocked at the constant site of development here in NWA! I'm constantly noticing more housing developments and am always hearing about new businesses coming in. I had no idea a Dunkin Donuts was set to open this December in Bentonville and also heard that a Cracker Barrel and Chipotle are also set to begin construction soon in Bentonville. There is also current construction going on for the new Macadoodles. Has this sort of development always been going on here or has it only started to occur within the last five or so years? Am I over reacting with this? Is this kind of development normal in metros of this size?
I think it is more like the past 10 to 20 years, but, yes, there are all kinds of new and somewhat trendy businesses coming to NWA. It is sorta like how OKC has taken off, as well as Dallas about 30 years ago. This is not all good, nor is it all bad. It does show many people want to return to the middle part of our country, leaving states like Ca and some of the east coast to find their own way. Let's face it, our country is changing as it has over the past several years. There was a time when cities like Detroit had nothing but growth, look at it now: how sad is that. Los Angeles was the place where people from AR and OK swamped to after WW2, now they are returning to their roots. OK and AR are no more just states with a bunch of uneducated hill billies who marry their cousins. NWA is more metropolitan that the rest of the state. The state is still rural, which is fine, but it is very different than when people choose to leave back in the 40s.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Northwest Arkansas started booming in the late 80's. And the current level of development is actually slow compared to what it was from 1995-2008. Back then, wherever you went you were asking what's going there, and where did this road come from? Then the recession hit, and many projects were cancelled, even stopped mid-development. Northwest Arkansas wasn't hit as hard as the rest of the country, though, and recovery started earlier here, and seems to be doing well. But there are still lots of challenges. Like the Benton County road department not being able to complete most of their projects this year--basically due to corruption.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:34 AM

291 posts, read 378,274 times
Yes,we are still growing but it seems to have slowed down in pace in the last 5 years. I for one think the bigger the better & still consider this metro to be somewhat small. I do love that we are getting great businesses moving in.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlove View Post
Yes,we are still growing but it seems to have slowed down in pace in the last 5 years. I for one think the bigger the better & still consider this metro to be somewhat small. I do love that we are getting great businesses moving in.
I think part of the slowdown in the past few years has been due to the economy. Now that it is improving we are seeing a lot more new business and certainly a lot more home construction. Of course the metro area is small, both in area and population compared to cities like Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, etc, but it is no more just a bunch of little bedroom communities with a few small businesses and a lot of retired people.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:07 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,860 times
DC is correct in that the region started "booming" in the late 1980's (probably closer to 1990 but then again it is hard for me to remember way back then )

With the comparisons to Dallas that have come up in this thread, y'all might like to know a bit of "urban legend." Way back, it was rumored that Mr. JB Hunt wanted the area around Pinnacle to be the next Dallas. Looks like he got his wish.

The past couple of years have been challenging to developers and the NWA economy. I like to say it slowed, it never stopped.

As for me, I'm at the point in my life I'm yearning for simpler times--walk/bike instead of drive, etc. Now if we'd get that Trader Joe's I'd be in heaven

Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
DC is correct in that the region started "booming" in the late 1980's (probably closer to 1990 but then again it is hard for me to remember way back then )

With the comparisons to Dallas that have come up in this thread, y'all might like to know a bit of "urban legend." Way back, it was rumored that Mr. JB Hunt wanted the area around Pinnacle to be the next Dallas. Looks like he got his wish.

The past couple of years have been challenging to developers and the NWA economy. I like to say it slowed, it never stopped.

As for me, I'm at the point in my life I'm yearning for simpler times--walk/bike instead of drive, etc. Now if we'd get that Trader Joe's I'd be in heaven
ok, so maybe it is time for us to march to T Joe's headquarters, wherever (I think in CA) and demand they build us one!!!!!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:27 AM

733 posts, read 1,756,878 times
There definitely are upsides and downsides to a growing city & metro. Here, I feel like they didn't expect such growth, so they didn't plan for it traffic wise. The main stretch in Centerton is going to four lanes through the majority of town. I think the next plan of action for this situation is to try and make Airport Blvd in Bentonille four lanes. Traffic on that road is horrible from around 3pm to 6:30. Also, I'm worried that the growth will bring crime to this area, which is currently almost non existent compared to other larger cities.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
There definitely are upsides and downsides to a growing city & metro. Here, I feel like they didn't expect such growth, so they didn't plan for it traffic wise. The main stretch in Centerton is going to four lanes through the majority of town. I think the next plan of action for this situation is to try and make Airport Blvd in Bentonille four lanes. Traffic on that road is horrible from around 3pm to 6:30. Also, I'm worried that the growth will bring crime to this area, which is currently almost non existent compared to other larger cities.
You have some concerns I think we all have: the crime issue is a big one; the traffic is bad, but we have lived in so many large metro areas we almost laugh when people talk about the traffic here. Yes, it is awful, but only for a few miles, not for 50 miles and not almost all day. Some cities, like L.A. have rush hour 12 hours a day...Not planning is the issue in many places. We lived in N. VA, just across the bridge from DC. It was the same, that area, even with a couple decent freeways did not plan on the growth in the late 1900s.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,132,535 times
IMO, NWA is simply experiencing a healthy level of growth. Its not growing nearly as fast as some of the outer suburban communities of larger southern cities, and its certainly not growing as quickly as Austin.

I feel like another boom is just around the corner for this area, though. There's just too much coming together and too much good energy for it not to occur.

I read the other day that 800 people move to the two-county area every month right now. That seems like a lot, but I think its actually slower growth than was occurring here a decade ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
View detailed profiles of: