Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:54 PM

15 posts, read 19,662 times

Advertisements

I am looking at houses in Bella Vista and checking on insurance quotes for home owners. The rates are extremely high compared to what I paid in Florida for similar priced property (nearly 3 times as much). I had full coverage including hurricane coverage with a 2% deductible. When asked an insurance agent as to why insurance was so high I was told that they have a lot of tornadoes there. I can't find any record of a tornado in Bella Vista.
LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK, please.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by luvmypackers; 07-21-2017 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 04:50 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,184 times
Can you give an example of what you were quoted for Insurance in Bella Vista including size of home?

Are you getting quotes from your same agent / company as Florida?

Have you had any claims in the last 3-5 years?

I got a very good quote from a local agent (same company as my existing policies).

Last edited by Slytrix; 07-21-2017 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 04:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Can you give an example of what you were quoted for Insurance in Bella Vista including size of home?

Are you getting quotes from your same agent / company as Florida?

Have you had any claims in the last 3-5 years?

I got a very good quote from a local agent (same company as my existing policies).
that was going to be my question as well and where did you get your quote? No, we do not have a high insurance rate here. Ours runs less than a $1000 a year and our home is appraised at about $175,000 I believe. OP, I think you need to talk with your realtor and see if they have a company they might recommend.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM

573 posts, read 585,464 times
Then that insurance agent is a damn crook. Tornadoes seem extremely rare here because of the mountains, and it is nowhere near Florida or Oklahoma levels. Coming from Oklahoma, I pretty much can ignore tornado warnings because in the two years I've been here, they have always fizzled out in NWA.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Then that insurance agent is a damn crook. Tornadoes seem extremely rare here because of the mountains, and it is nowhere near Florida or Oklahoma levels. Coming from Oklahoma, I pretty much can ignore tornado warnings because in the two years I've been here, they have always fizzled out in NWA.
so true, especially in Bella Vista. I am not going to say never, cause I don't want to eat my words. They wouldn't taste very good, but i damaging tornadoes here are almost unheard of. This isn't OK or Texas for heavens sake. Obviously the agent is up to something and its't doesn't look to professional.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:52 PM

15 posts, read 19,662 times
In response to all the answers and I do appreciate the quick responses I paid $818 per year with a 2% deductible and a $234K valuation. Thank you all for your input. I have never had a claim.

Last edited by luvmypackers; 07-22-2017 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 07-23-2017, 03:22 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
I'm not saying the insurance pricing isn't suspicious, but nwa is pretty vulnurable to tornados.
Oklahoma is an extreme example even within the overall tornado ally. The Ozarks are still in that region you most certainly watch out for when stronger storms strike.
I certainly wouldn't want anything to happen, but let's not be naive.
Just do a search on Ozarks tornados. Those hills don't stop everything.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm not saying the insurance pricing isn't suspicious, but nwa is pretty vulnurable to tornados.
Oklahoma is an extreme example even within the overall tornado ally. The Ozarks are still in that region you most certainly watch out for when stronger storms strike.
I certainly wouldn't want anything to happen, but let's not be naive.
Just do a search on Ozarks tornados. Those hills don't stop everything.
I have to ask you, have you ever lived or visited NWA especially Bella Vista? Do you have any idea how many miles NWA covers? No one is suggesting we have no threat of tornadoes, but as for severe ones or even ones that do minor damage they are rare. Yes, we do pay attention to the possibility of one, but I do not think our insurance is based on the threat of tornadoes or not much anyway and as I said the insurance rates are not all that high. The only time in 10 springs we have lived here did we any real threat of a problem was when Joplin got hit. Many of us did end up with some wind damage, but heck tell me one state that doesn't have a change of a mother nature disaster?

Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypackers View Post
In response to all the answers and I do appreciate the quick responses I paid $818 per year with a 2% deductible and a $234K valuation. Thank you all for your input. I have never had a claim.
FWIW I got a quote for a $500k 3500 sq ft house with a $5,000 deductible in Cave Springs for $770/ year. That's not the house that I ended up buying but you can see the difference in price from what you were quoted. I haven't got a quote on the new house being built yet but expect similar but lower do to size and cost.

If you got quoted almost 3 times as much, so $2,400 or so you need to shop around. If you want to know who I am going with shoot me a private message. A+ rated company. I do have my cars with this company as well.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:25 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to ask you, have you ever lived or visited NWA especially Bella Vista? Do you have any idea how many miles NWA covers? No one is suggesting we have no threat of tornadoes, but as for severe ones or even ones that do minor damage they are rare. Yes, we do pay attention to the possibility of one, but I do not think our insurance is based on the threat of tornadoes or not much anyway and as I said the insurance rates are not all that high. The only time in 10 springs we have lived here did we any real threat of a problem was when Joplin got hit. Many of us did end up with some wind damage, but heck tell me one state that doesn't have a change of a mother nature disaster?
My point simply was that tornadic activity can be expected. There is no sweet spot that tornados mysteriously avoid in this area.
The Ozarks have some effect on weather, but we're not exactly talking about the Rocky Mountains here.
Insurance companies might factor in the possibility of tornados, I don't remember on mine. I just pay it.
Yes, I'd be more concerned about hurricanes in Florida than tornados in nwa, and would expect to pay higher insurance down there as a result. Yes, disasters happen everywhere.
I don't think we disagree here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers