Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:18 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,655,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Just their pay scale is a HUGE joke compare to other companies in the area for the job, with smaller work loads. Can go work for mom and pop company and get paid 10x better then i would have gotten at WM.. that is what their main issue is. Pay roll and it sucks...
I don't know which department you worked for, but the people I know who work for them at home office are very satisfied with their pay and benefits. One of them had no specific skill and started at a higher pay than she could get anywhere else.

People love to hate on walmart because of their size. Fact is though that they employ a lot of people across the country. I've known many who worked in the stores in different states and made well over minimum wage. One man I knew had worked for them for many years and was over the sporting goods dept making over $35 per hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 08:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I don't know which department you worked for, but the people I know who work for them at home office are very satisfied with their pay and benefits. One of them had no specific skill and started at a higher pay than she could get anywhere else.

People love to hate on walmart because of their size. Fact is though that they employ a lot of people across the country. I've known many who worked in the stores in different states and made well over minimum wage. One man I knew had worked for them for many years and was over the sporting goods dept making over $35 per hour.
they also love to hate Walmart because the retail division will not go union.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:50 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,330,548 times
Hate to say it but $35/hr is not that much anymore

Old 05-22-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Hate to say it but $35/hr is not that much anymore
It is if you're someone who is running the sporting good department with no other skills. No one said they live in a big house and drive fancy cars, but that's definitely a wage to live on. Come on now.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:39 PM

I suppose, but with the cost of everything today not easy.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I suppose, but with the cost of everything today not easy.
That's $72,800 per year for a Wal Mart employee working in sporting goods.

Yes, it's easy.

Then assume he has a wife who makes $30K/year, together they are pulling in over 100K per year. You think it's hard to live on that?

Old 05-22-2018, 01:52 PM

Don't forget about the 3 kids and 2 dogs you have to take care of. The kids will want to be involved in sports and grow like weeds so buying clothes will add up, the dogs have to go to the vet.

Then you have to try and save for vacations, college tuition and retirement.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:29 PM

491 posts, read 1,267,456 times
Quote:
Don't forget about the 3 kids and 2 dogs you have to take care of. The kids will want to be involved in sports and grow like weeds so buying clothes will add up, the dogs have to go to the vet.

Then you have to try and save for vacations, college tuition and retirement.
Granted, $72,000/year won't get you very far in San Diego but it's a pretty good wage in Arkansas.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:05 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Just do your research (unemployment rate, different types of employers in the immediate area, average income, etc.), so that there is a possibility of other work in the area, if he is laid off.

Are you going to get a job, too?

You may have to prepare yourself for culture shock. Try to find some facebook groups or something for the area to get an idea what hte people are like. It's not enough that they are "nice." It's whether you will fit in. If you don't fit in, you may not be able to make friends there. They will likely be of a certain political persuasion...very much so. If you are not that.... Things like that.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:36 PM

573 posts, read 586,595 times
$35 an hour for sporting goods is stupid insane. Beyond insane. Registered Nurses start at 20-22 an hour, I HOPE to make 45-50k a year when I graduate with my degree in supply chain management, LET ALONE working in a damned retail store. That has to be some sort of fluke. If I made 70k+ within my first ten years I'd be elated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers