Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 08:19 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/hig...s-cities-list/

Surprising that some very large metro areas have lower murder rates than some much smaller cities - NY, L.A. Boston, Minneapolis, and San Antonio to name a few.

Demographics. Most gun crime is related to other criminal activities. As a result those rates tell us a lot about the quality of life in an area. You got an area full of criminals, you'll get a lot of gun crime. Nothing to do with general 'gun culture', everything to do with boarded up shop windows and drug dealers hanging out at street corners.

On the other hand, mass shootings are essentially random events that are occurring independently from typical gun crime and say very little about the area they occur in. It just takes one person who could be motivated by a million different things from petty personal resentments to political ideology or religion. This could happen (and has happened) in a fervently anti-gun suburb of a major coastal city or a small town in the middle of the country. There's nothing anyone can do about 'avoiding' these other than avoiding people in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 08:56 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,409,630 times
Is "NWA" Northwest Arkansas?

Pardon my ignorance.

I see this acronym a lot.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:27 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
Where I live, I believe the "gun culture" keeps crime down .

Usually the only home burglaries are on houses nobody lives in or are gone for long periods.

Any occupied house, the burglar might as well assume the homeowner owns a gun and will use it for protection.
my boss and his neighbor live in MO above pea ridge and they keep a gun by the door for the rare times anyone comes knocking on their door. Apparently, locals establish a particular protocol and anyone that doesn't follow it is most likely not someone you want to talk to. For these people, they only have 2 neighbors and know them quite well so there is a certain level of trust that happens in the sparsely populated places that you don't get living in a tightly packed community where the houses are on 1/4 acre or smaller lots.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:08 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
It might move up towards the middle, but not enough to be among the states that consistently rank the safest. Even as a whole, Arkansas is just not that kind of place. However, it’s not the worst place on the planet and not the most dangerous, just kind of mediocre.
The gun culture has little to do with it one way or the other in my opinion, and Arkansas does have a pretty strong gun culture.
NWA is much safer than average in the country, but you are right about the state as a whole - Little Rock and Jonesboro are both high crime. Those areas may as well be different states to me though since I never plan to visit them. NWA is very safe regarding violent crime, cops being shot in the line of duty is pretty much unheard of and murders are very rare.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:40 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Is "NWA" Northwest Arkansas?

Pardon my ignorance.

I see this acronym a lot.
It is indeed.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:20 PM

340 posts, read 515,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
How do they arrive at these statistics? Most states don't require bg checks for private gun sales, and people who move to new states aren't required to report guns being brought in. How could they possibly know the % of each population that owns guns?
Background checks are a FEDERAL LAW for buying a gun from a gun dealer, and has been the law for a long time, guess what, it doesn’t work. The only exception to the background check is for private sales, say you sold a rifle to your neighbor, no background check required.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:29 PM

170 posts, read 251,993 times
I thought I was seeing things...but the OP posted the exact same thread for the Johnson City Tennessee area city data. Interesting.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustRN View Post
I thought I was seeing things...but the OP posted the exact same thread for the Johnson City Tennessee area city data. Interesting.
AugusRN enjoy your time here in NW AR. hope you love it as much as some of us do, even those of us from Ca. BTW we lived in Sac many years ago; I think my favorite place in Ca or one of them.

AS for the OP, she/he seems to be trying to decide between moving here or to Johnson City. AT least that is what they claim. They do ask a lot of questions and it is hard to figure out just what they are really intending on doing.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:10 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
On the other hand, mass shootings are essentially random events that are occurring independently from typical gun crime and say very little about the area they occur in. It just takes one person who could be motivated by a million different things from petty personal resentments to political ideology or religion. This could happen (and has happened) in a fervently anti-gun suburb of a major coastal city or a small town in the middle of the country. There's nothing anyone can do about 'avoiding' these other than avoiding people in general.
Exactly, mass shootings can happen in gun luving states such as Texas (Sutherland Springs and El Paso) / Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) or in states with tight gun laws such as California (Gilroy and Riverside). It is as easy as pie to cross state lines with firearms, even international boundaries.

As long as the US keeps manufacturing the amount of guns that it does, this problem will persist regardless of how many laws are on the books. Even if all gun manufacturing ceased today, there are enough weapons and ammo in the hands of citizens to last for several generations to come.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Exactly, mass shootings can happen in gun luving states such as Texas (Sutherland Springs and El Paso) / Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) or in states with tight gun laws such as California (Gilroy and Riverside). It is as easy as pie to cross state lines with firearms, even international boundaries.

As long as the US keeps manufacturing the amount of guns that it does, this problem will persist regardless of how many laws are on the books. Even if all gun manufacturing ceased today, there are enough weapons and ammo in the hands of citizens to last for several generations to come.
Mass murders go so much deeper than who can and can not own a gun. We need to try and stop the mental decline of so many when they are young. The failing of the family unit has something to do with why so many people especially young people are growing up so unstable. The lack of discipline is another issue and the blaming everyone else for our short comings adds to the lack of emotional stability. Of course that is the only problems and there will always be people who are unstable, but some of the issues can be minimized by better upbringing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers