Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 08:06 AM

425 posts, read 508,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Fascinating. I once lived in a place with 4-5 different trash companies to choose from. It just seemed kind of confusing and the competition didn't really keep the rates lower or improve service. It's one thing I don't mind the city taking care of.
Where we live (not in Arkansas):
$150 every three months for water, sewer, trash, recycling. One big trash container, one equally large recycling container. Tree limbs can be left on the curb. Leaves can be raked onto the street in piles to be sucked up a few times during the fall. They have occasional big-item days I think but I usually try to fix stuff or give it away first.
I wish we had what you have.. the city taking care of our trash. Bella Vista used to pickup the trash, and it operated somewhat like a city function, in that we could put out pretty much anything and it would get picked up. They finally contracted with Republic to handle our trash, then we were limited to just the containers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 08:38 AM

108 posts, read 94,900 times
Thanks for the topic vcvs... Only lived here 5 months so still adjusting...
I just got my quarterly trash bill - $47.54 for the next quarter... Water averages 45 a month -got to get a handle on where its going, electric is averaging about $125 but we only run the AC when it's over 82 or really humid so part-time on that. ATT Internet only costs $60/mo

Contrast that with SE Arizona where I lived rural on 4 Ac. 20 mi from town.... Since we had a compost pile in the back 40, recycled all plastic, cardboard and metal with weekly free dump runs I only took a pickup load of bagged garbage to the dump about every 3-4 months - cost $5 to get in... then there were at least 2 free-dump-days a year for anything you could haul.

Since I had a well, water cost me about $10 a month in electric. My 2400SF all-electric house cost about $125 a month to run before I built my own 6kW solar array- after that my electic bill was $18 a month (all fees & taxes) and I got a rebate check at the end of the year for the energy I sold back to APS. I had a static internet IP from my microwave ISP for $55 a month.

When we sold that house and moved to Tucson everything doubled to quadrupled... then fell off slightly here... Insurance (home-auto-health) is cheaper here, property taxes, gas and food is cheaper, but sales tax is 50% higher.

Since I keep detailed records and have the last 20 years in excel, I plan on doing a spreadsheet COL comparison at the end of the year to see what the actual difference is...

Old 09-23-2020, 10:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvs View Post
I wish we had what you have.. the city taking care of our trash. Bella Vista used to pickup the trash, and it operated somewhat like a city function, in that we could put out pretty much anything and it would get picked up. They finally contracted with Republic to handle our trash, then we were limited to just the containers.
I miss the city doing it as well. WE have had more than just one problem with Republic. We had several billing problems but that is now straitened out I think

Old 09-23-2020, 11:19 AM

2,720 posts, read 2,220,898 times
Are the homes in BV mainly all electric? The few homes that we looked at had electric ranges and water heaters. I have seen propane tanks, but they appear to be mainly for propane fireplaces. My current home has an on-demand gas water heater. My brother is pushing me to get solar panels being he has them.

Being it will only be two of us I don't think we will have an issue with trash except for when we move in.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:48 PM

IMO, this area is not cost effective for solar - sure they sell it here but the arrays I have seen are 2x mine in AZ and the state doesn't have the rebates and other incentives to make it worthwhile... including the net metering options the elect co may offer... the payback period is way too long and you also want to stay away from the lease agreements some companies offer.
From what I have seen looking at various houses... natural gas isn't in BV except maybe around the edges. If they have a 100# propane tank then it is just for the fireplace (although there are lots of older wood burners). If the tank is larger- say 250-500 gal then the furnace is likely also propane with a heat-pump primary. Water heaters can be either I suppose...

Old 09-23-2020, 07:13 PM

425 posts, read 508,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achi WaWa View Post
Thanks for the topic vcvs... Only lived here 5 months so still adjusting...
I just got my quarterly trash bill - $47.54 for the next quarter... Water averages 45 a month -got to get a handle on where its going, electric is averaging about $125 but we only run the AC when it's over 82 or really humid so part-time on that. ATT Internet only costs $60/mo

Contrast that with SE Arizona where I lived rural on 4 Ac. 20 mi from town.... Since we had a compost pile in the back 40, recycled all plastic, cardboard and metal with weekly free dump runs I only took a pickup load of bagged garbage to the dump about every 3-4 months - cost $5 to get in... then there were at least 2 free-dump-days a year for anything you could haul.

Since I had a well, water cost me about $10 a month in electric. My 2400SF all-electric house cost about $125 a month to run before I built my own 6kW solar array- after that my electic bill was $18 a month (all fees & taxes) and I got a rebate check at the end of the year for the energy I sold back to APS. I had a static internet IP from my microwave ISP for $55 a month.

When we sold that house and moved to Tucson everything doubled to quadrupled... then fell off slightly here... Insurance (home-auto-health) is cheaper here, property taxes, gas and food is cheaper, but sales tax is 50% higher.

Since I keep detailed records and have the last 20 years in excel, I plan on doing a spreadsheet COL comparison at the end of the year to see what the actual difference is...
The solar systems have always fascinated me. I’ve dabbled in it a little with RVs and with a remote hunting outpost we had one time, nothing to the scale you had. It’s a shame AR doesn’t provide more of an incentive for solar.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:56 AM

I did 100% of the design & installation work, - learned a lot about solar in the process and then hired an electrician to check it and APS inspection to make the final go live connection...

I sure do like the green grass and trees of the BV area...
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk Trash...-array-1.jpg  

Last edited by Achi WaWa; 09-24-2020 at 06:46 AM..

Old 09-24-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Are the homes in BV mainly all electric? The few homes that we looked at had electric ranges and water heaters. I have seen propane tanks, but they appear to be mainly for propane fireplaces. My current home has an on-demand gas water heater. My brother is pushing me to get solar panels being he has them.

Being it will only be two of us I don't think we will have an issue with trash except for when we move in.
Most of us have heat pumps and yes, use propane for our fire places, but some use it for cooking etc as well

As for your trash, when we moved here our only trash pretty much was paper and packing boxes. We just loaded the trunk of the car and took everything to recycling.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvs View Post
The solar systems have always fascinated me. I’ve dabbled in it a little with RVs and with a remote hunting outpost we had one time, nothing to the scale you had. It’s a shame AR doesn’t provide more of an incentive for solar.
he problem with solar is the price to begin with. Our daughter who has about every possible gadget ever made and has the money to pay for modern this and that looked into it and there was no way they could justify the cost. Also it isn't particularly attractive. At this time it doesn't appear to add value to our homes in BV and doesn't seem like the way to go. I am sure this will change in years to come.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:57 AM

2,720 posts, read 2,220,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achi WaWa View Post
I did 100% of the design & installation work, - learned a lot about solar in the process and then hired an electrician to check it and APS inspection to make the final go live connection...

I sure do like the green grass and trees of the BV area...
What green grass? It seems like most of the homes I have looked at online in BV have gravel. I am a grass snob and it appears I may have to give that up. Off topic, but what type of grass grows best at BV? I will need some grass for our Yorkie to do her thing on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers