Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,927,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Offspring View Post
I am very good at bombarding actually. Do you have a blog or something I can follow to take part in this great campaign?

Someone took a left turn at Albuquerque and didn't make it past Dallas to Arkansas I guess.
my smile of the day: have just been going to Trader Joe's website and under contact us: asking them when they are coming here and why they haven't already? WE do have Fresh Market, but it isn't Trader Joe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:17 AM

320 posts, read 579,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
What I love about Arkansas compared to a place like Colorado is that it isn't yet overrun by transplants. There has been more of a "trickle" of people into this region. Yes, its grown quickly, but a lot of it has been regional growth, with people from Texas (myself included) and other parts of the south and Arkansas moving here.

That has helped it to retain more of its regional flavor.

Being in Boulder or Fort Collins, I always feel like those places have no "soul". They have just grown too quickly and have become these generic hubs of "progressive growth" and that any vestiges of local colour or flavor are gone.

I rather enjoy the "small town" and rural character of Arkansas in many ways. As for the joke many northerners have about all people from Arkansas being related....would having Johnny Cash and Bill Clinton as uncles really be all that bad?
It will continue to retain its regional flavor. Transplants are not going to overun central or southern Arkansas. I'm from Little Rock but live in Georgia and I think NWA is Arkansas' version of Atlanta.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
There has been in influx of folks from California / west coast to Northwest Arkansas the past few years.

I am curious what is the attraction? I know that Californians are used to having the mountains and scenic desert on one side and the Pacific ocean beaches on the other.

And you folks are also used to reliably mild weather. There are no beaches nearby here in NWA. So what is the attraction?

Understand I am not criticizing anyone or anything - I am just curious and want to understand.
Much lower cost of living. My brother in the Bay Area knows a tone of retirees who figured out they could sell their CA real estate and get a nice place by a golf course in Arkansas for a fraction of the cost and bank/invest the remainder to beef up their nest egg. Word of that got around like wildfire.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Much lower cost of living. My brother in the Bay Area knows a tone of retirees who figured out they could sell their CA real estate and get a nice place by a golf course in Arkansas for a fraction of the cost and bank/invest the remainder to beef up their nest egg. Word of that got around like wildfire.
Yes, that was a good part of the exit from many states to AR, especially NWA. As well as lower property costs, we have property taxes that are frozen after you turn 65, we have decent weather, depending on what you want in the weather, and we have the best of both worlds as I have said before: a little rural and a little urban. Add to this, so far, the majority of the people who have relocated from other states, not just CA have not tried to make the area into something it is not. People have been more than willing to adjust to the way of thinking in AR and not try to change it.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:37 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,244,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post

If I move into it after inheriting the property it would still not be reassessed and I will keep the same structure and similar tax payments. That's another prop or part of 13 I don't remember.

Dhult, hope you're still around as I have a question for you. I moved in to take care of my mom after dad passed, when she passed I stayed in the home for a year then put it up for sale. I moved to MO. and while selling parents home and settling the estate, I was forced to pay back taxes because they said once mom passed, prop 13 couldn't be passed on to me. What you posted seems to make that a lie! Do you have any idea why I had to pay the difference? Parents had bought the home in the 60's if that matters. TIA

I love AK btw, and after reading this thread I'm going to suggest it to my sister who is "shopping" for a new forever state.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:39 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,349,550 times
That does seem odd because I know a friend there that still pays the prop 13 taxes on a house from his past away parents. I'd get some real help on that issue.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,244,396 times
Thank you Debbie. I was shocked when I started getting tax bills, and called and tried to argue them out of it. Since this happened about a year ago, I wonder even if they were wrong if I could get it reimbursed.?? My parents had the house in a trust, I doubt that would have caused this issue. Friends jokingly said CA. was so broke they were going after every penny they could find.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Thank you Debbie. I was shocked when I started getting tax bills, and called and tried to argue them out of it. Since this happened about a year ago, I wonder even if they were wrong if I could get it reimbursed.?? My parents had the house in a trust, I doubt that would have caused this issue. Friends jokingly said CA. was so broke they were going after every penny they could find.
We are in the process of settling a trust and will (both) in Ca and have a piece of property involved, but I don' have details on the property tax situation as my niece is the executor and trustee. Everything is being handled by the accountant and the attorney. I know my niece keeps talking about all the taxes we might owe and I keep asking her what taxes? My step mom has been gone for a year. She doesn't know, she just keeps hearing the accountant talk about the taxes that will be taken out of the estate when we settle, which should be in the next 3 or 4 months. I bet that is what she is talking about. I know, the estate isn't large enough to pay estate tax. I think estate tax is for estates about 5 mil. This one will be closer to 2 plus mil.

btw: I think we are pretty much getting off topic now. Maybe we need to move this somewhere else..?

Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Dhult, hope you're still around as I have a question for you. I moved in to take care of my mom after dad passed, when she passed I stayed in the home for a year then put it up for sale. I moved to MO. and while selling parents home and settling the estate, I was forced to pay back taxes because they said once mom passed, prop 13 couldn't be passed on to me. What you posted seems to make that a lie! Do you have any idea why I had to pay the difference? Parents had bought the home in the 60's if that matters. TIA

I love AK btw, and after reading this thread I'm going to suggest it to my sister who is "shopping" for a new forever state.
In California you must file with the county to establish a Parent/Child transfer not subject to reassessment.

Prop 13 alone will not prevent everyone from leaving the State.

Those I know that moved to Arkansas did so to be closer to family and lower overall cost of living.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:15 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,289,364 times
Folks, please take your comments and questions about CA taxes to that forum - we are drifting westward Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers