Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 AM

22 posts, read 87,145 times

Advertisements

My husband (35) and I (30) are thinking about moving to Fayetteville sometime in the near future. We are from San Diego, Cali. We are looking for a slower paced city. My mother and step father just retired to Arkansas and we want to be closer to them as well.
We do have some concerns about the cultural differences between Southern Cali and Arkansas. One being we are an interracial couple (I am white and my husband in mixed black and white). Can anyone give me any clue as to how this is viewed in Fayettville? From what I have read, Fayetteville is a pretty progressive town versus the smaller ones so I am thinking there is probably not any reason for concern.
Also, there are soooo many things to do in Southern Cali---the beach, the mountains, short drives to other major cities, etc.
I am wondering what activities there are in Fayetteville and what the nearest lake/river is?
Thanks so much for all of your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 11,730 times
Default Inter-Racial Marriage

It has been my experience that inter-racial couples are more readily accepted in the towns along I-40 and I-30.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 13,625 times
fayetteville is a very open community with many interracial couples. it is a university town and welcomes newcomers.

Old 07-01-2006, 05:27 AM

22 posts, read 91,859 times
I have friends that are interracial couples and they've never mentioned any problems they've had. I'm sure you'll be fine. Fayetteville is definitely slower pace than Southern Cali. However, if that's what you're looking for then you will love it. It is definitely a college town. The area is growing quickly. If you like the outdoors there are a lot of things to do. There's Beaver Lake and Lake Wedington. You can camp and hike at Devil's Den National Park. Have you looked at the tourism webpage? I'm sure they can give you a lot more information on parks, rivers, and lakes. To get to a "big city" you'll have to pretty much leave the state, but Tulsa, OK is about a two hour drive and St. Louis, I think is about a 5 hour drive. Dallas is also about a 5 and a half hour drive. I hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:39 AM

16 posts, read 109,491 times
I moved to Fayetteville seven years ago. we are an interracial couple ourselves but never had any problems at all. as a mtter of fact the NW Arkansans are so welcoming people. most people here judge people not because of their skin color but by their deeds. if you have any question about Fayetteville let me know. I'll be glad to help.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:50 AM

33 posts, read 69,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethome_NWA
I moved to Fayetteville seven years ago. we are an interracial couple ourselves but never had any problems at all.
May I ask what kind of interracial? If one of you is black, how dark is he/she?

Old 07-26-2006, 08:49 AM

11 posts, read 52,956 times
Default nw ar

As stated before, if you are the outdoors, sporty type, NW AR is WONDERFUL!!! We travel there from the southern part of the state every year for everything from white water Kayaking, to rock climbing, to spelunking(sp), to fishing, to hiking, etc. It is a great place for outdoorsmen and women of all degrees of experience and is still enough of a big town to provide quality entertainment for those city mice who prefer not to get dirty. The downfall is that you do have to drive for a bit to see the big city lights, and an overnight trip would probably be necessary.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:05 PM

16 posts, read 109,491 times
sorry for not being able to post here very oftern. back to your question citydata. my wife is white. she was born here in Fayetteville and I am dark skinned dude from Casa blanca, MO :-)

Old 08-08-2006, 03:26 PM

33 posts, read 69,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethome_NWA
sorry for not being able to post here very oftern. back to your question citydata. my wife is white. she was born here in Fayetteville and I am dark skinned dude from Casa blanca, MO :-)
Yeah, Fayetteville is somewhat open due to the large population of college kids of different ethnicities. However, you still have to keep in mind that this is not CA, FL, or New York, some people might not like it.

Old 08-25-2006, 05:14 PM

158 posts, read 582,645 times
Default Fayettville/NWA

My wife and I have lived in NWA (northwest arkansas) since we were about 12, we're both 31 now. She's from Atascadero CA and I'm from upstate NY. 10 years ago the area was getting pretty busy. It used to be the kind of place you could get around easy and it was pretty laid back. Now it is soooo busy, alot of constuction, traffic, etc. The area is overwhelmed with (I apologize and do not want to offend anyone here) with the Latin population. Which brings up another point probaly not yet mentioned, CHICKENS!!! Cobb, Simmons, Tysons, and Cargill employ great #'s of Latin people. The air around here STINKS some days more than others. There are chicken farms EVERYWHERE, chicken trucks(which are very disgusting) packed with chickens going down highways leaving stink and feathers and not to mention crap/pee misting through the air!!! Sounds harsh and extreme but thats just my opinion, I don't like it here. I believe, after the last 5 years or so, I've come to the conclusion that my main source of allergies is from the air my wife and I are breathing. It's busy here and the state never expected the growth. They're trying to build new road, hotels, airports, etc., and in my opinion, there is a lot of hustling around with no place to go. Beaver lake IS a beautiful lake though! There are many ways to access the lake. For most, it is by going through the busy City of Rogers.(Which I'm sorry to say and again apologize, run by the Latin race.) You might be alright with that, and that is GREAT. You might be used to way more than what is here (English, Russian, German, French, crime, city-life, or whatever). Devil's Den is also nice. Just be careful of ticks, snakes, and chiggers! Forget Lake Wedington, I live 5 miles from it! It is great for hiking or biking. You also can picnic there, that's o.k. But as far as a NICE lake, no. I'm not even sure that you can have a boat with a motor bigger than a 5 horsepower! Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs is about 2.5 hours away, it is nice. There are alot of jobs in NWA (one of the top 10 in the U.S). There are things to do, (just depends on your lifestyle). There is a nice college in Fayetteville. It does get hot and humid. Winters are getting warmer(mid 20's-low 30's). You do have to travel to get to any big city (I don't like Tulsa or Little Rock.) If you would like to live in the county and own land the price is going up, unless you go east across Beaver Lake and South of the Lake. Harrison is nice, but you will have to commute farther to work unless you work in Harrison. All these are my thoughts and opinions. My wife and I plan to move to the South Carolina coast. I'm not trying discourage you, but if these things weren't mentioned I'd hate to see you move and find out then. Good luck and I hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers