Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
I have driven in many cities in the country. NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, Orlando, LA, Phoenix, SF, and the drivers in Arkansas are pretty terrible, especially when you throw a different mode of transport, pedestrian, cycling, into the mix.

And the amount of crashes on the I540 bridges, I had always thought it was common sense that bridges freeze, but does that stop anyone from doing the speed minimum of 70+? Are teenagers allowed to drive here? How many points until a license is revoked? Its ridiculously high.
Well, I don't think people drive any faster here than in NM or certainly California. This would go for Texas as well, yes, the bridge does freeze and yes, people need to use common sense, but they don't. Kids and driving, kids are inmortal, just ask them....I have learned to just pull off the road here in BV when I see a car that appears to have a kid driving, if they are driving too fast. We have so many curvey roads, those teens think are straight, that I find this easier. By the Way, much of the time, I could be told to slow down a little: not in the ice though. We found drivers in the DC area the worst, cause they were all from somewhere else. And Ca, no place has crowded freeways like So Ca. day or night. The rush hour starts about 6am and continues until 8pm.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM

88 posts, read 228,624 times
Thanks, everyone. 35 mins seems good to me but I am not the one driving so I guess it's not my call.

Is there anywhere in the Bentonville-Rogers-Fayetteville area where we could live and not have to drive EVERYWHERE? Like, we could walk to a park and a pizza joint and quickie mart? I have heard things about Shadow Valley but is it too Edward Scissorhands?

Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM

529 posts, read 1,650,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy1971 View Post
Thanks, everyone. 35 mins seems good to me but I am not the one driving so I guess it's not my call.

Is there anywhere in the Bentonville-Rogers-Fayetteville area where we could live and not have to drive EVERYWHERE? Like, we could walk to a park and a pizza joint and quickie mart? I have heard things about Shadow Valley but is it too Edward Scissorhands?
You should check out Harber Meadows in west Springdale. It is a planned community with schools, parks, lakes, shopping, pools, restaurants, etc all within walking distance. If you're looking for a walkable community this is the best one around. It's also just off I540 at the Elm Springs and 412 exits so your commute would be better to Wallyworld.

Shadow Valley is just a bunch of McMansions on a golf course.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:54 PM

88 posts, read 228,624 times
Thanks bagelw! I hadn't considered Springdale but I will check it out!

And yes, McMansions are out. I guess I was hoping that at least the clubhouse had stores, restaurants, etc. Can you tell I have never golfed in my life?

Old 11-12-2009, 10:13 PM

77 posts, read 238,752 times
Quote:

There use to be, many years ago, but not anymore, I come from Brooklyn so I have high standards. Fayetteville, around the bar district or the square is your best bet, but you are not gonna find a quickie mart at either of those location, unless you feel like walking up to the university and using their retail. You would have extremely limited but functional transit at these areas.

Oh and a side effect of having the drive everywhere, is a high occurrence of drunk driving, had one of them drive into a tree of mine the other night. But I can safely say the tree won and karma is instant.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:20 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,731 times
If being near the park or Dickson St. area of Fayetteville, you can easily walk to several restaurants--everything from quick and casual (my new fav-Feltner Bros. for hamburgers!) to fine dining (Bordino's and Theo's).

IGA is our neighborhood grocery store. Many people walk in to pick up a few items.

In this area of Fayetteville, you will not find "planned" housing. Most are single family homes. Although there are quite a few condos coming on line (read--no lawn work!).

You really need to visit NWA to get a feel for each community as there are pros and cons to each.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
There use to be, many years ago, but not anymore, I come from Brooklyn so I have high standards. Fayetteville, around the bar district or the square is your best bet, but you are not gonna find a quickie mart at either of those location, unless you feel like walking up to the university and using their retail. You would have extremely limited but functional transit at these areas.

Oh and a side effect of having the drive everywhere, is a high occurrence of drunk driving, had one of them drive into a tree of mine the other night. But I can safely say the tree won and karma is instant.
You won't find nearly as many drunk drivers here as in many places (at least our experience) doesn't mean there are none. Yes, there are many places where you can live and walk to shops, restaurants..Certainly Fayetteville is one because of the college enviornment, but there are others.

Nita

Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,436 times
Quote:
I have driven in many cities in the country. NYC, DC, Boston, Chicago, Orlando, LA, Phoenix, SF, and the drivers in Arkansas are pretty terrible, especially when you throw a different mode of transport, pedestrian, cycling, into the mix.

And the amount of crashes on the I540 bridges, I had always thought it was common sense that bridges freeze, but does that stop anyone from doing the speed minimum of 70+? Are teenagers allowed to drive here? How many points until a license is revoked? Its ridiculously high.

Funny thing is most of the people in NWA aren't even from here. So I wouldn't say the problem is "Arkansas" drivers.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:45 AM

77 posts, read 238,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Funny thing is most of the people in NWA aren't even from here. So I wouldn't say the problem is "Arkansas" drivers.
I have spent much time out of NWA and in Marion County. The simple fact is that the requirements and responsibilities of drivers in Arkansas are much lesser.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,498 times
Quote:
Wilson Park or Dickson. Does that make a difference? His job would be at that Evil Empire in Bentonville, starts with a W, I can't remember the name . . .

35 minutes seems pretty doable but I wouldn't be the one driving so maybe not. There isn't a section of Bentonville or Rogers that would be as urban as Wilson Park, right?

Hello. Just wondering if you made this move and if you have been happy? Also possibly making a move and would prefer to live in Fayetteville than Bentonville. Any advice, thoughts, etc. would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers