Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

There I was, walking along, minding my own business, when I suddenly came across a Botero sculpture of Leda and the Swan. I kept thinking that if this were in a midwest park, instead of in a Manhattan passway, it would have caused quite a furor.

artnet Galleries: Leda and the Swan by Fernando Botero from Galerie Gmurzynska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Possibly. I think most wouldn't recognize the source, and that's a shame. In defense of the midwest, though, I remember a thread about a Venus de Milo snow sculpture in New Jersey which was made to be taken down.

Its a sad statement about our education.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I completely agree that most people would't recognize the source, but, still, I think a lot of places would object to a large sculpture of a supine nude woman.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Oh, yea, those hicks in the "midwest" sure would be up in arms about that piece. Chrissake, they'd have the good ole' pastor out there to whoop up a heap of Bible thumping over it.

----------------

New Yorkers are sooooo sophisticated, we need them to show the rest of fly over country what is real art and how to pay it the proper respect.

Every time I have been in Manhattan, 99% of the people I see look like they wouldn't recognize anything more complicated than a Philly Cheesesteak. Mouth breathers. Or were you speaking about what the limo and doorman set would say about it? The Sunday Times readers. The trust fund crowd? Is that who would love that piece? Because my guess is that in Manhattan or Brooklyn the average person on the street taking the time to look at it is more likely to say:

Yo! Vick! Looky ad da fawking boyd fawking that fawking pigmy. Whadda fawk yo tink dat is bow?"

Last edited by Wilson513; 01-28-2012 at 01:30 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
I still don't get why "naked babe getting banged by a bird" is such a popular artistic subject in the first place, but to each his own I guess.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
The story behind Leda was the Greek god Zeus physically desired her, so he assumed the shape and form of a swan and came to her in that way in order to make love to her.

Besides being the king of the gods, Zeus was a horny b-st-rd. He fancied a handsome Greek lad, Ganymede, and changed himself into an eagle and swooped down from Mount Olympus to abduct the young fellow and take him back home.

Even more bizarre, old Zeus had the hots for a young lady named Danae, and this time came to her in the form - I am not making this up! - of "a golden shower"! Okay, I am sure you are all snickering now.

They just don't teach this stuff to us in school when we are learning about those nasty pervy Greeks ... instead they tell us about how they invented Democracy and built the Parthenon and humiliated the Persians.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The story behind Leda was the Greek god Zeus physically desired her, so he assumed the shape and form of a swan and came to her in that way in order to make love to her.

Besides being the king of the gods, Zeus was a horny b-st-rd. He fancied a handsome Greek lad, Ganymede, and changed himself into an eagle and swooped down from Mount Olympus to abduct the young fellow and take him back home.

Even more bizarre, old Zeus had the hots for a young lady named Danae, and this time came to her in the form - I am not making this up! - of "a golden shower"! Okay, I am sure you are all snickering now.

They just don't teach this stuff to us in school when we are learning about those nasty pervy Greeks ... instead they tell us about how they invented Democracy and built the Parthenon and humiliated the Persians.

Zeus certainly was a randy old coot ! And devious with that. Hera , his wife seemed to spend most of her time plotting revenge on the nymphs and women Zeus had affairs with... If I remember correctly wasn't she also Zeus' sister as well as his wife and one of the myth is that Hebe ( Goddess of Youth) their daughter was actually conceived by Hera being impregnated by lettuce rather than Zeus ?!?! Who knew salad could be so virile ?!?

I'm afraid my schools taught me all the old Greek Mythology as well as the bit about Democracy,Socrates,Pericles etc... Catholic schools too, go figure....

We were taught both Greek and Latin names for all the Gods and Demi Gods too. Mind you we also did Norse , Pre-Colombian and Indian Mythology though not so much in depth.

It is a rather odd subject for public art but a lot of the sculptures depicting Leda and the Swan are nonetheless beautiful in an "OMG" sort of way ! Trying to explain that to a five year old could get interesting though... Some of the sculptures are far more explicit than others of course.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Thanks, Moose, for your insights.

I remember in school when I was about 12 or 13 (Seventh grade) I had to do a report on a character in Greek Mythology, so I chose the story of Narcissus and Echo. That was pretty tame. The handsome dude so his own reflection in a pool of still water and fell in love with himself. Pretty tame. People fall in love with themselves all the time.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Thanks, Moose, for your insights.

I remember in school when I was about 12 or 13 (Seventh grade) I had to do a report on a character in Greek Mythology, so I chose the story of Narcissus and Echo. That was pretty tame. The handsome dude so his own reflection in a pool of still water and fell in love with himself. Pretty tame. People fall in love with themselves all the time.
I chose Prometheus,Sisiphus and Tantalus for my reports. What does that say about me ?!?! I must have an element of Masochism within me ! Or perhaps Sadism...

My Father bought me some beautifully illustrated books on Greek and Roman Mythology when I was little and I have been looking for similar ones since. If anyone can recommend some lavislhy illustrated books on the topic I welcome all suggestions.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 AM

166 posts, read 443,109 times
The Midwest's idea of art are paintings of Madona & Child, and Jesus, and not much more then that. But I do know that there are many in the bible belt and Midwest that can't be clumped into the harsh conservative views.

After visiting Museums in Istanbul, Ephesus, Kuşadası, then in Rhodes, Crete, Cyprus, Athens, Jerusalem, Haifa, Ashdad. I could live and tour museums there and always discover new things. Jerusalem's holocaust was that hardest to go thru, especially the special children's building. Where 5 candles and all mirrors make it look like there is a candle for each of the 1.5 million children killed. I haven't viewed the tape since. Their names are said around the clock, never stopping.

The Parthenon in Athens was amazing. I'd loved to take my pencils and pastels and enough sketch books to create my art. I hope someday to be able to go to D.C. and wonder thru their museums.

[quote=Cida;22571569]There I was, walking along, minding my own business, when I suddenly came across a Botero sculpture of Leda and the Swan. I kept thinking that if this were in a midwest park, instead of in a Manhattan passway, it would have caused quite a furor.

/QUOTE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts