Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 10:38 PM

361 posts, read 431,592 times

Advertisements

The company I am interning at recently gave away 15 first come, first serve opera tickets at the Met. I was able to get a ticket for myself and the show was tonight. The opera was 3 acts, and at the beginning all 15 of us were there, scattered across 3-4 rows. Right after the first act, which lasted about an hour, 7 of my fellow interns left the theater and went home. I didn’t even notice until I looked up at the beginning of the second act and saw empty seats. The 2nd act lasted about an hour also, and at the end of the 2nd act, 5 more of the interns left. So out of 15 interns who attended this opera, only 3 of us stayed for the whole opera. I absolutely loved it, as did the other 2 people who stayed, and I love opera in general, but even if I hated it, I still would’ve made myself stay. I feel like it is not only rude, but a waste of the company’s money for these 12 people to just leave like that. If you’re not interested, don’t take the ticket and let someone else who is truly interested take it. Am I wrong for not understanding this logic? Or is this just more common than I think amongst guests? Why the heck bother going if you’re not going to stay till the end?? I understand it’s long but regardless you owe it to the company and the performers to stay the whole time, barring an emergency situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 08:59 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
It was free tickets.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:05 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I often see people leave at intermission, for some of the plays, or music recitals, we go to, I guess they are not impressed at intermission, they want to leave. That doesn't bother me nearly as much as people who walk out in the middle of a performance while people are still on stage. I find that rude, not on;y to the performers, but also to the audience, I also get mad at late comers. It is the age of being selfish. Don't get me started on audience members who still have to check the stupid phone every 30 seconds.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
Right after the first act, which lasted about an hour, 7 of my fellow interns left the theater and went home.
They tried it, and it wasn't for them.

I couldn't bear to sit through three hours of hollering in a foreign language either.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:40 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
I have seen the same behaviour in the NHL, arrive late, leave early.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They tried it, and it wasn't for them.

I couldn't bear to sit through three hours of hollering in a foreign language either.
It is by no means hollering. Plus the sets & costumes are so beautiful to look at. Follow the tale of love & be enchanted.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:28 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I understand it’s long but regardless you owe it to the company and the performers to stay the whole time, barring an emergency situation.
People do it all the time in NYC with opera and ballet. They leave at intermissions.

I've stood through four hour operas as it was the only affordable way to see one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts