Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could advise me here. My wife has 4 beautiful silver dollars in her tank. They are about 5 inches long and just really nice fish. I found one of them laying on his side yesterday. Other than lying sideways he seems OK. His colour is good. He can swim fast as I found out when I tried to net him but like I said he is on his side.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with him and what should I do about him. I don't want him to suffer but at the same time I don't want to kill him if he could get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
The first thing to do is test the water parameters. Does your wife have a liquid test kit? You should test the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I would do a 30% partial water change to start with, and be sure to add a water conditioner to remove chlorine. How old are they? What size tank is it?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The first thing to do is test the water parameters. Does your wife have a liquid test kit? You should test the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I would do a 30% partial water change to start with, and be sure to add a water conditioner to remove chlorine. How old are they? What size tank is it?
Thr water is fine. She just did a partial water change the day before the fish got sick. I'm thinking it may have injured it's self while she was working in the tank. They are very spooky and just whip around when disturbed. It's a 75 gal. tank and she has quite a few other fish in there also. Things have been grest for about 10 months since she set it up.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
It sounds like it could be "swim bladder". You might want to do a search on this disorder.

Regards,

Second Right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish