Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 PM

8 posts, read 22,834 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I'm going to be traveling through Arizona soon and would love some local suggestions on what to see/do. We will be coming from the Albuquerque area into Flagstaff. We trying to find a good RV campground with a decent weekly fee and electricity. We plan on taking a motorcycle day trip up to the grand canyon, any good stops along the way? We were hoping to stay a week in Flagstaff and love outdoor activities. Any must see sites? I've had sunset crater and Wupatki Ruins suggested to me, anything else? I'm a bit of a photo bug as well, so anything "picture worthy" ? We also plan to take a day trip down to Sedona so suggestions on that area are also welcome! We also love funky little hole in the wall bar/restaurants/knick knack stores, good food, and good live music. After our stay in Flagstaff we will be visiting my boyfriends grandparents in Phoenix for a few days so Let hear some suggestions!!

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,039 times
coming from flaggstaff to sedona travel down oak creek canyon. on your way down take a hike along the west fork trail. amazing. i would personally spend more than a day in the sedona area as there are so many world class hikes and some of the most beatiful landscapes i've ever seen. i would also advise you to head across the verde valley to an old mining town called jerome. it's on the side of a mountain and full of art galleries, bars and restaurants as well as a bunch of very interesting and cool people. have fun!

Old 03-11-2011, 01:00 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,236,192 times
Depending on what you mean by 'soon' it could be cold (even snowing in Flag.) or not. It's been in the mid to high 70's as our high these past few days (lows in the 40's) in Sedona but we're much warmer than Flag. due to lower elevation. We often get one bout of bad weather in April, in Sedona it's often sleet or rain. The spring here also tends to be very windy so be prepared.

There are SO many awesome things to do, from Flag you can go to the ruins at Walnut Canyon. In Sedona check out the Chapel of the Holy Cross, Red Rock Crossing Park is my favorite place here with awesome views of Cathedral Rock (one of the most photographed places in the world). Watching the sun set from the top of Airport Road (Airport Mesa). Hiking here is unparallelled, you could hike for weeks and never cross your onw path so that is a must if you like hiking. Forty minutes from Sedona (away from Flag.) is Jerome, it's a small mining town up a mountain and is very popular with the bikers....they come up from Phoenix to go to the Spirit Room (check it out on line). They have funky stores, restaurants etc. I LOVE it there.

That's just a taste. Have Fun!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,070,740 times
though definitely not unknown, Macy's in Flag is a good coffee/vegetarian food/hangout spot on the "bad" side of the RR tracks near NAU...google it....very casual.....

and the entire few blocks around Macy's is worth a walk around...decades ago, this was the wrong side of the tracks in Flag, but it's since become full of expensive houses (but any house in Flag is expensive, even the junky stuff around Macy's!) and hip/hippy retail appealing to the nearby NAU students.....

you could take a drive along old sections of Route 66 outside of town....then drop in at the popular Museum Club (locals call it The Zoo - you'll see why when you get there) for drinks and casual country/western...a Route 66 legend

if you're in Flag before mid-April or so, things may still feel a little wintry in some areas....cold nights, warmish days (in the direct sun)....

nice visitor center downtown....maybe check in there first thing for stuff to do, too

Old 03-12-2011, 04:24 PM

8 posts, read 22,834 times
great suggestions! I'm still looking for more ideas, and were still looking for a camp ground...were going to be headed that way within the next week or so, if that helps. Thanks again for the wonderful suggestions!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:59 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,931,396 times
(In Sedona) the west fork trail is not a favorite of mine. It depends on what you like but if you like views: trail TO Cathedral rock; Doe Mountain; Chicken Point from either side. In Sedona the uninteresting trails are the ones that would be don't miss trails elsewhere so it's hard to go wrong but some are better than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona