Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The thing I most dislike about Flagstaff is...
...the high cost of living. 11 73.33%
...the people. 1 6.67%
...the lack of things to do. 1 6.67%
(other--elaborated in the thread forum) 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:40 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times

Advertisements

...low wages....... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 11:35 AM

464 posts, read 832,593 times
Question Hey, it's been like a month and no responses...

...but I finally heard from some more Flagstaffians(?) last night around midnight...which leads me to believe that you were all bored and just happened upon my thread.

So is it really that boring? Is the cost of living that high? Are wages that low? Are the trains blowing through at all hours during the night and early morning? When will your snowfall start and stick?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:35 PM

509 posts, read 1,698,435 times
about th only thing bothers me is the trains coming through town bring the traffic to a standstill . also , whoever laid the streets out must have been the same drunk whut laid out Prescotts streets .
i think a bounty ought to put on any and all obnoxius NAU brats . cutting in through traffic on their bikes and if you say something to them they flip you off . i think some of them are only a day or two without training wheels
other than that i think Flag is a beautiful town surrounded with a spectacular scenery . no, i do not live in Flag . i just go up there to shop or get my neck cut at FMC .

Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 PM

43 posts, read 297,923 times
I live in FLG.
There are days when my animosity towards this place runs quite deep.
I notice that those days are closely (historically) aligned to job satisfaction, so take that with a grain of salt. Most of the things one might dislike are already mentioned in this thread. Having said that, I will add that over the course of having three careers in this town, I had to finally leave the city (via telecommuting) to get a job that grew with me. I still live in Flag but work elsewhere, so to speak.
It is worth pointing out that in my case this growing out of the local job market took 4 years and a Masters to happen. Not long is it?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 AM

122 posts, read 307,496 times
Actually, what I dislike the most is that most people who aren't from Flagstaff complain way too much about Flagstaff - as they would in every other city or town they're not from. However, I'll play...

First of all, a few comments:

Its "Flagstaffers", and not every other derivitive thereof.

The train isn't even that much of a factor anymore, thanks to the fourth street bridge, and thanks to the quieter, localized "horns" which were installed at every crossing.

People are about as hygenic in Flagstaff as anywhere else.

Its going to be cooler (and colder) at 7000'.

People dress according to Arizona's unwritten laidback code.

Mountain lions need to be killed if they're a threat.

Traffic is always going to be a problem because of the way Flagstaff is built, and is usually at its worst during the Spring and Summer, thanks to tourists and "sunbirds".

Now... if I have any major problem with Flagstaff, its that its a bit too liberal politically, which affects the way things get done (or not) as in other overly liberal towns. I also think its mostly out-of-towners who insist on calling Flagstaff "Flag".

Old 12-09-2011, 03:07 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
I have a good friend and his wife that were both born and raised there.
They could not stand the cold and now live in Tucson.
We looked at Flagstaff for a cooler place in retirement but knowing the WX is quite a bit cooler than Prescott that we selected was a factor for us.
People comment about jobs. Just a hint, any town that has a college with lots of young people living there tends to have lower wages as the kids want part time jobs to give them some income. And that's not even taking into account the current economy. We have lived in a few college towns over the years and it was the same in all of them.
I did not like the trains and the noise from them when we had stayed there before in the past although I have been told they are quieter now.
The younger drivers in town were about as rude as driving in a large town the last time we spent almost a week there looking the place over.
We also though overall the town was a little dirty looking, not uncommon for a town with a large train switch yard and such.
And as with any town located on a major road you have a lot of people coming and going through the town traveling though.
We also looked at crime stats for Flagstaff too but overall decided the WX was the biggest factor for us.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,965 times
i remember going thru flagstaff about 2 years ago and it being about 25 degrees out...freezing cold

Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,981 times
The only other place I'd live in Arizona besides Flagstaff is Tucson. My asthma's killing me right now, but all things considered, I've lived in worse places (Phoenix, for one) and aside from scraping ice off my car windshield each morning, the cold really doesn't bother me too much.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:37 AM

86 posts, read 259,080 times
Default dislike

The train traffic and the car traffic. The students suck up the local jobs. I try to go there as little as possible.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:44 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
I like Flagstaff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona