Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 AM

768 posts, read 1,762,128 times

Advertisements

Flagstaff is a great "little" town...but as other have stated in reply to your post - WORLDS away from S-Valley on so many levels. My mother-in-law suggests "never being further than 20 miles from a Costco...there is a reason that they are there. The rest will work itself out."

Arizona is a very, very, very conservative Red state. Did I mention conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 AM

768 posts, read 1,762,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
We like Phoenecians for the tourism dollars they spend, but hate that they clog our roads to ski in the winter and to get out of the heat in the summer (75-80 is about the average high in the summer months, its possible, but rare, to reach 90)....Despite that, Flagstaff is (despite my desire to move elsewhere), my favorite city in Arizona.

We like for the "Phoenecians" to visit north AZ too...gets them out of the city and off the roads...and we live in Scottsdale

Old 11-29-2011, 05:45 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,245,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
My mother-in-law suggests "never being further than 20 miles from a Costco...there is a reason that they are there. The rest will work itself out."

Arizona is a very, very, very conservative Red state. Did I mention conservative?
Love that about Costco, I do miss being closer to one in Sedona.

Although it's a conservative state, it's not 'in your face', at least from my perspective, and I'm not conservative.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,513,918 times
For the most part, Flagstaff isn't the same shade of red as, say, metropolitan Phoenix.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:49 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,081,050 times
would be cool to hear from the one-post wonder original poster again about all this

Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,304,351 times
If you have a job lined up, then you have already conquered the hardest part about living in Flagstaff. Everything else is gravy. As a former Arizonan who has been living "back east," I would consider Flag to be the Best of the West.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 AM

112 posts, read 425,600 times
You are in for very low wages which don't nearly cover the high cost of living in Flagstaff.

You are in for a "right to work" state which means your employer can fire you without even having a reason (maybe they just don't like you).

You are in for high rents and housing prices (low compared to California but high for the wages here).

You are in for taking a long time to find a job, though they DO prefer hiring out-of-town folks for the better positions. In fact being from another state is to your benefit; employers in Arizona seem to think that hiring educated locals who are established here is a bad idea so they hire out of state people who come here and end up leaving soon after. Arizona is called a "transient" state because for every five people who move here, four move right back out so it makes no sense why employers prefer hiring out of state folks but it is what it is.

You are in for very cold winters and lots of snow at times and not always getting your street plowed until after 5 PM the day of the snow (we live behind the hospital and they rarely plow our street before 5 PM after a snow storm).

You are in for streets on hills too icy to drive up because the city didn't get the plows and cinders out fast enough even though a storm was forecast.

You are in for a friendly town but a difficult place to establish a sense of community unless you already belong to a church or other club or group.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 41,562 times
"Thinking of moving from Silicon Valley to Flagstaff-What am I in for?"

much lower taxes.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,304,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofindthespot View Post
"Thinking of moving from Silicon Valley to Flagstaff-What am I in for?"

much lower taxes.
Can't imagine how that would matter nearly as much as this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carecare7 View Post
You are in for very low wages which don't nearly cover the high cost of living in Flagstaff.
I guess it depends on your situation.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM

72 posts, read 126,601 times
As the other folks here stated the big challenge here is jobs. It's a 'right to be an indentured servant (I mean right to work') state, so low wages and vamployers galore. If you have jobs you may be over that hurdle, but if you're not used to significant amounts of snow, it could be a shock. 12 feet of snow a year is not uncommon. Also 75 in the summer may sound great but being at 7000ft elevation that leads to rather cold winters and less than ideal temps (compared to Silicon Valley) during spring and fall.
In Flag you're also a long way from many conveniences you're used to in Silicon Valley. It might be a novelty initially, but a nuisance fairly quickly.
It is a beautiful area though around Flagstaff although Flag itself isn't much to look at. Spend as much time as you can in Sedona where it gets about 12 inches of snow a year and is usually at least 15 degrees warmer in the winter. When we lived in Sedona we only went to Flagstaff on the days in the summer when it was hot. Otherwise it was too cold, especially after coming from Southern California.
My suggestion would be to spend a week or two in Flag in the dead of winter and see how it feels to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona