Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 09:52 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times

Advertisements

You can still find good rental deals here and there, but you have to jump on them immediately else someone else will. Agree that the towns listed above by thedirtman are cheaper but with the exception of Prescott Valley also a little farther away from shopping and restaurants.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM

812 posts, read 794,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Here's a more comprehensive list of names to check out. Prescott Valley which joins Prescott to the east is a possibility as is Chino Valley to the north. Camp Verde, Cordes Junction, Lake Montezuma and Cottonwood and the Verde Valley near Sedona is a possibility. You won't lose much in the way of services being in the developing areas. Payson is a possibility. The only hope of affordable homes near Flagstaff is Winslow (50 miles east), is windy, rocky, and has less trees. Flagstaff also attracts a younger set because moving that much snow requires lifting. Prescott also gets snow, but less so. It can snow anywhere.
I don't know about rental prices, but temp-wise Prescott Valley and Chino Valley will be the coolest. All the areas mentioned are cooler than Phoenix by about 10-15 degrees for the high on average. They are still hot in the summer though, especially in the daytime hours. The nights cool off more significantly than Phoenix, which can still be 80+ at midnight during the summer.

Have your parents ever been to AZ before? Phoenix/Valley of the sun is hot, but if they are looking for any kind of big city feel, they may be better off there. Cordes Junction is the closest to Phoenix (65 mi to central Phx). It is very affordable, but quite rural with only a Family Dollar and a couple of markets. Any larger stores/services are all at least 1/2 hr. away in Prescott Valley.

It is good that they are coming to visit and scout out the areas. Arizona is a beautiful state! A lot of it outside of Phoenix metro is quite small town and rural. I personally love that, but some people prefer more of the city life and coming from NYC will be quite a change. Cost of living here should be much better than NYC though.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:52 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
We have a home in Prescott Valley (which is side by side to Prescott). Our Daughter has a newer/nice spacious 2 Bedroom duplex that she pays $775 for with garbage/water paid.
We are on the far end of PV and to downtown Prescott is about 9 miles of so to the town square or 5 miles along HWY 89 to the North end of Prescott. From where we used to live in SW Prescott to the North end of town was almost 8 miles, just so you know that we are pretty spread out for a smaller town.
You are correct in that transportation is about non existent here. But unlike the east where many live their lives within a few blocks of where they were born we travel in cars all the time so it may be different for you.
We do have 4 seasons and have about 2" of snow on the ground melting fast this AM. In fact we have had some light snow the last 3 days which is more than I have seen that close together in the last 8 years I have lived in this area.
Highs for the most part around 90° in the summers but most likely less humidity than you have? I have seen -5° one morning here briefly in Jan a few years ago. For the most part snow melts pretty much the same day and you don't need 4 WD to get around.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
My father once considered moving from Wyoming to Flagstaff, AZ, until he found out that Flagstaff often had colder temperatures and heavier snowfalls than where we lived in Wyoming.

FLAGSTAFF:........................................ .....................................Lander, Wyoming

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-09-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
My father once considered moving from Wyoming to Flagstaff, AZ, until he found out that Flagstaff often had colder temperatures and heavier snowfalls than where we lived in Wyoming.

FLAGSTAFF:........................................ .....................................Lander, Wyoming

Who would have thought.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:04 AM

I know a guy that was born/raised in Flagstaff. He told me that about every 7-10 years they get some major storm through their that cripples the town/area for a time with drifts and such.
He lives with his family now in Tucson and says "I don't like being cold".
We looked it over for retirement trying to get away from the illegals/drugs on the border of the SW about 9 years ago. But Flagstaff for us has too many young people in it with the university there. Many were just flat rude and I would not have lasted long with their attitudes.
If you look at the local crime stats for the city they are pretty high too for that sized community.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:56 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
A better place to check out for retirement instead of Flagstaff is Grand Junction, CO. They're warmer in the summer, less snow in the winter and cheaper cost of living. You also won't have to deal with college students since there's no major university there.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Grand-...-Colorado.html

Old 08-28-2016, 09:34 AM

Our Daughter and Son-in-law have a 2 bedroom duplex with water and trash paid for $750 a month in Prescott Valley. That's a pretty good deal considering that the home is pretty new too.
When prices were low we picked up a 3/2 with a 3 car garage, 10 years old at the time, for $180K and a very low interest rate. Homes like this are now around $235K I think, still not bad.
Plenty of rentals in the area with Embry Riddle and the college campuses locally and the turnover as a result.
Flagstaff has entirely too many younger people for our tastes and the winters can get bad at times every few years or so.
Sedona is just a tourist trap and Prescott is too to a large extent. We avoid the downtown areas on weekends due to that.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:54 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
"Plenty of rentals in the area..." Glad your daughter found an inexpensive place, I did too in 2013. But the people I know who are looking now, younger people not retirees, are finding it really hard to find places that are decent in a price range that they can afford. Those under 800 dollar deals for two plus bedrooms are almost non-existent now, and if one comes up you have to jump on it fast.

The Embry Riddle students are looking for different types of rentals...crash pads and places where multiple room mates can bunk for a year to three years.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:58 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Even in less expensive Cottonwood you'd be hard pressed to find a 2 bedroom house for $900/month. Would they consider buying a manufactured home on rented land for $25,000 - $75,000 and paying $500 - $600 per month (assuming they're over 55)? That might work in either area but Flagstaff (which has WAY too much winter for my taste).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona