Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,858 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I currently live in Georgia (born and raised) and my lowered immune system (past health problems) has rendered me severely allergic to mold--which is a major problem where I live as the weather at this time of year is often >90% humidity and >90 degrees F.

I've been thinking about relocating to Arizona. I'm not a big fan of cities--Phoenix seems like it would be too metropolis for me. I've really been looking into moving to Sedona. I work online, so the job market is not a big deal for me.

But what I'm really concerned about is mold. I'm not allergic to pollen, just mold. In Georgia, it's pretty much a given that there will be black mold in the grout, in the faucet, behind pictures on walls, etc. So how bad is Sedona? What's the mold situation like up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
I wouldn't claim that mold doesn't exist here, it does. But it's easily dealt with and not the pernicious problem you have in GA. Most of the year our humidity isn't conducive to it's growth.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Drier conditions help, that's for sure. I moved to Arizona from Ohio in 1996 because of my mold allergy and my health improved significantly. I still have allergies, but not nearly the same problems with asthma that I used to (my asthma attacks in Ohio resulted in a lot of trips to the emergency room).

I don't think it will matter much, but I have noticed that there's a lot more variety of foliage/bushes/trees along Oak Creek compared to what we normally have in Arizona. I don't think it would contribute much to the local mold/pollen counts, but there's definitely a lot more plants around that area of Sedona than what the rest of the town has. Might be something to consider if you're moving to Sedona.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 13,135 times
Watch out for flat roofs. Ice freezes and expands and contracts, you have an adobe stucco home, and sneaky leaks.
My desert home had one room that was off the charts for mold. You couldn't see it, it was the in the 24 inch walls.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:32 PM

375 posts, read 608,925 times
We have our monsoon season here and it gets quite hot with high humidity. I've also lived n the deep south and I can assure you, it's nothing at all as bad.

Also .. if you work " on-line" make sure you have "reliable" Internet. When my Internet goes down, it is down for 12 hours or more because their back-haul comes from Mingus and Towers mt and it's takes the techs hours just to get there to work the problem.

Last edited by Coop01; 08-26-2017 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: felt like it

Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
Also .. if you work " on-line" make sure you have "reliable" Internet. When my Internet goes down, it is down for 12 hours or more because their back-haul comes from Mingus and Towers mt and it's takes the techs hours just to get there to work the problem.
I work online but my Internet is an AT&T unlimited data mobile hotspot. Could that be a problem in Sedona?

Old 10-08-2017, 03:01 PM

39 posts, read 77,885 times
My cable TV in Sedona went out during the Super Bowl...for an hour.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:00 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I work online but my Internet is an AT&T unlimited data mobile hotspot. Could that be a problem in Sedona?
AT&T cell phones don't work anywhere nearly as well Verizon in N. AZ, If your hotspot works off cell, you'd better get Verizon and check the area you're going to live in to make sure you have coverage - the rocks here mess with tower signal.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:21 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
AT&T cell phones don't work anywhere nearly as well Verizon in N. AZ, If your hotspot works off cell, you'd better get Verizon and check the area you're going to live in to make sure you have coverage - the rocks here mess with tower signal.
As fate would have it, I've actually been to Sedona twice since I posted that comment. First by myself on a solo trip, then DH was so envious of my experience he wanted to go back.

I didn't have any trouble using either the AT&T mobile hot spot or my AT&T iPhone. Granted, I didn't try it everywhere, but it worked fine on Airport Mesa, in the Doodlebug Ranch area and in the VOC. Red Rock State Park, too, if I remember correctly. Didn't try it up in Oak Creek Canyon, though.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:32 PM

10 posts, read 28,906 times
I will just tell you what an urgent care doctor told me. If you have any kind of allergies don’t move to Sedona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona