Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times

Advertisements

Going to the Grand Canyon for the first time with two adults and two children ages 11 and 13. I am flying into Las Vegas and driving to the west side of the Canyon. The main reason we are going this side of the Canyon is to be able to walk over the glass walk way. I would like any input on nice lodging in the park or just outside of the park. Also I would love any information on a boat ride on the river through
the Canyon. I would also like to ask your opinion on skipping the west side walkway to see better views on the south end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 08:57 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
At the Canyon you have three main options: south rim (busy, lots of tourists); walkway (expensive, can't take photos yourself), and north rim (higher, not open after summer, more remote). Personally I am not at all attracted by the walkway.

If you do the south rim then the drive along the rim to the watchtower is pleasant.

Lodging at the canyon is usually reserved far in advance. You might get lucky. There are several hotels near the south rim at Tusayan.

Rafting is a one or two week proposition, and has only a few starting points.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:00 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
I would skip the Skywalk because of cost and fees and head to the South Rim. Last I heard there is no loading at the Skywalk. Closest is Kingman, AZ or Boulder City, NV. Next closest to the South Rim is Williams, AZ. rational1's advice on lodging is good advice as well.

These are 2015 prices to walk on the Skywalk.

https://grandcanyon.com/planning/wes...price-tickets/

Driving directions to the Skywalk from LV.

http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/pdf/lasvegas.pdf

Rafting generally requires a reservation, some places are booked 1 to 2 years in advance. Give them a call to check for openings.

Put in places are in the link 2 looks like a hike is required. Lees Ferry is east and north of the GC.

Google Map the locations.

https://www.allgrandcanyon.com/boating/

Old 08-02-2017, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 3,774 times
The Grand Canyon is absolutely breathtaking. I prefer the South Rim because there is much more to see. A two-lane road allows for easy car travel to various Grand Canyon South Rim locations. The NPS also provides free bus transportation. The North Rim with the glass walkway is very expensive. The local Indians gouge tourists every chance they get. You must pay a toll (about $25 I think) to drive on their reservation that takes you to the glass walk. The walk really is small, and expensive ($45 per person I think) to get on. You can't take your camera on the walk, but the Indians will gladly sell you their overpriced pictures. There are plenty of free things to see in that area of Arizona. Take old Route 66 off I-40 to Seligman. Spend some time in Oatman where donkeys roam the streets and the funky town of Chloride. Williams, where you probably will be staying, is a very nice back to the past town with lots of restaurants and gift shops.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:47 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John3649 View Post
The Grand Canyon is absolutely breathtaking. I prefer the South Rim because there is much more to see. A two-lane road allows for easy car travel to various Grand Canyon South Rim locations. The NPS also provides free bus transportation. The North Rim with the glass walkway is very expensive. The local Indians gouge tourists every chance they get. You must pay a toll (about $25 I think) to drive on their reservation that takes you to the glass walk. The walk really is small, and expensive ($45 per person I think) to get on. You can't take your camera on the walk, but the Indians will gladly sell you their overpriced pictures. There are plenty of free things to see in that area of Arizona. Take old Route 66 off I-40 to Seligman. Spend some time in Oatman where donkeys roam the streets and the funky town of Chloride. Williams, where you probably will be staying, is a very nice back to the past town with lots of restaurants and gift shops.
John party sure it's south of the north rim.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,595 times
The Walkway is not on the North Rim, it's on the south rim outside the National Park. I know which side of the canyon it's on, but would not presume to know how much it costs. Haven't been there.

Rafting on the Colorado is not a spur of the moment proposition. Tours are a minimum of 4 days and most are 8-14 days or more and require advance booking, often a year in advance. It's much more than a "boat ride on the river" and is the trip of a lifetime. Expensive and worth every cent. The absolute best way to get to know the canyon intimately. I have done it 6 times, all 279 miles.
If you want to take a "boat ride on the river", consider a one-day raft trip on the upper Colorado from Glen Canyon dam to Lee's Ferry. You'll get off the river where the Grand Canyon begins. A beautiful one day trip, but probably out of your way as these trips make up in either Page, or Lee's Ferry AZ., another couple of hours from GCNP.
If you're on a short trip, the South Rim is the most time efficient, but it is far more crowded than the North Rim; my favorite. The North Rim is about 1000 feet higher in elevation. The canyon views are more intimate, not as expansive. There is only one fine, older lodge and cabins for rent. Much more peaceful, but another 3-4 hours from the S. Rim.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:39 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
if you (or other members of your family??!!) have your (their) heart(s) set on walking on that glass walkway, then I guess that has to be the place you head for.....keep in mind it is not over the Grand Canyon, but, rather, over a dry side canyon that's not nearly as deep or wide....it is the closest part of the Grand Canyon area to Las Vegas, but not nearly as exciting as the South or North Rims.....there is no "nice" lodging at all near the Skywalk.....you'd be best to just make this a long daytrip from your nice place in Las Vegas....a couple hours of driving each way from the safety of Las Vegas, plus high fees when you arrive.....the local tribe, God bless them, has developed this "Grand Canyon West" area with the Skywalk in an effort to capture the Las Vegas mobs who don't have time to get to the true canyon areas at the North or South Rims....

when are you doing this?....

as suggested above by the other posters, the North and South Rims are, far and away, much more spectacular than the Skywalk area.....but they require a very minimum of an overnight (South Rim) from Las Vegas if you can manage the time....can you?.....if not, I'll stop here...let us know, please, and I'll give you more ideas.....

as said above, a "boat ride" through the actual Grand Canyon itself is a multi-day expedition planned many months or years in advance.....instead, from Las Vegas, you may want to try a single-day boat float in Black Canyon (it's not the Grand Canyon) near Las Vegas below Hoover Dam....here's one company:

Hoover Dam River Tours | Hoover Dam Tours From Las Vegas | Black Canyon River Adventures - Black Canyon River Adventures

Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 AM

849 posts, read 2,923,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy76sox View Post
Going to the Grand Canyon for the first time with two adults and two children ages 11 and 13. I am flying into Las Vegas and driving to the west side of the Canyon. The main reason we are going this side of the Canyon is to be able to walk over the glass walk way. I would like any input on nice lodging in the park or just outside of the park. Also I would love any information on a boat ride on the river through
the Canyon. I would also like to ask your opinion on skipping the west side walkway to see better views on the south end?
I'd have to side with the others who say skip the walkway. The views of the canyon are just as spectacular on the South Rim, near the more "touristy" areas, sadly. A nice walk along the south rim is very awe-inspiring in its own right. There are hotels in the park that can be pricey, but outside the gates there are some that can be relatively affordable.
As for boat rides on the river, if you are willing to drive up to Lees Ferry (just outside of Page,Az), they have a nice float trip down the Colorado that you would enjoy. If you are looking at whitewater in the canyon itself, a lot of outfitters leave from this location as well. In that case, it is best you shift your "base of operations" to Page,AZ, where you can access both the north and south rim in the same amount of time (two to 2 1/2 hours). The North Rim closes down near October due to weather, so plan accordingly.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:05 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
OP you will not be going to the Grand Canyon National Park but to Grand Canyon West on an Indian reservation. The views from the National Park at the North or South rims are spectacular. The Grand canyon West reservation area not so spectacular.

The Skywalk is outside of Grand Canyon National Park.
Read this page to learn how to get there and bring along a lot of cash, make sure you have good tires on your vehicle, the road is rough at times. Leave camera locked in car, no photos allowed.
https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/skywalk.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona