Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:59 PM

8 posts, read 38,838 times

Advertisements

Hi, My wife might be transfered to the Flagstaff area for work and I'm just curious what housing costs are there. We currently live in the Mountains near Yosemite Ca. The mountains is where we want to live with property as well. Preferably where there are pine trees We would like to have a home with a couple acres at least that is also close to National forest or BLM land that we can use for riding ATV's and hunting and horses.

If anyone can give us some ideas of towns that would fit what we are looking for I would really appreciate it.

Also if anyone has some time, We are not your typical Californians, we hate this state! We love all kinds of stuff outdoors, ATV's Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Horses, Jet sking, Boating....anything outdoors really. We can't stand these liberals around here and the thinking process of most of the people here is absolutly crazy. Commen sense is being bred out of people here!! Anyway, tell us a little bit about Arizona and why you like it so much, and maybe what you don't like also.

Thanks for all the help
Casey and Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,479,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhurstcowboy View Post
We can't stand these liberals around here and the thinking process of most of the people here is absolutly crazy.
Whoa...liberals! Well, if getting away from intellectuals is your aspiration, I wouldn't move to a major university town. Ph.D.s are as common around Flagstaff as patrol agents in Tucson. The Redneck Empire may exist in Arizona, but Flagstaff is the wrong place to look for it. If anything, it's one of the bluest cities in the state. 'Taint cheap, neither, Dusty. You're looking at a half mill easy for a home on an acre of land in Coconino County. It's a very popular place with a lot of folk.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM

295 posts, read 1,215,228 times
Ah ... Oakhurst! I had 3 rolling acres in Coarsegold - just a smidge below the snowline, so I had the massive oaks, not pines. Some days I really, really miss my little slice of Heaven on the hill, but I don't miss Hwy 41, or Deadwood in the winter, or 41 at 49 in the summer, and I certainly don't miss Fresno or The Peoples' Republic of California.

I moved just north of Prescott in 7/06 and like AZ very much so far. While I'm not very familiar with Flag & its surrounding areas, there are others here who are & hopefully they will answer your specific questions. I do know that Flag typically gets much more snow than Oakhurst, and I've heard that it is touristy (like Oakhurst). It does have a college, which naturally attracts the "liberal state of mind" that often hovers around academia.

My experience with housing prices here is that generally they are not as high as in CA. Depending on what you have in Oakhurst, you may be pleasantly surprised. If you haven't already done so, pull up Realtor dot com or specific Realtors' websites, put in your search parameters & see what is available that might suit your wants & needs. I've found the people here are friendlier than in CA, the lifestyle is more laid-back, and the air is much cleaner - none of that Central Valley smog up here & no tule fog. I do know that Flag typically gets a lot more snow than Oakhurst, and I've heard that it is touristy (like Oakhurst). It does have a college, so there will be the "liberal state of mind" that often hovers in and around academia.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 PM

8 posts, read 38,838 times
Well If thats the case we definitly won't be going there! I was hopeing that since it has it's pine trees and mountains just like where I'm at now it would be a good place to go. Never thought I would ever say this but maybe California isn't as bad as it seems. Who knows maybe I'll just finally get used to the unhealthy air, fog, smog, high crime, and ridiculous traffic.

Hey Shroom, what is the countryside like where your at now opposed to Oakhurst/Coarsegold?

Casey

Old 01-24-2007, 11:43 PM

295 posts, read 1,215,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhurstcowboy View Post
Well If thats the case we definitly won't be going there! I was hopeing that since it has it's pine trees and mountains just like where I'm at now it would be a good place to go. Never thought I would ever say this but maybe California isn't as bad as it seems. Who knows maybe I'll just finally get used to the unhealthy air, fog, smog, high crime, and ridiculous traffic.

Hey Shroom, what is the countryside like where your at now opposed to Oakhurst/Coarsegold?

Casey
Casey,

Don't write off the Flagstaff area on the basis of a college being there. You guys ought to take a trip to the area & get a feel for it personally before your wife makes a final decision re the job transfer. I've gotta say, if it weren't for that area's typical annual snowfall, I would have seriously looked there because of its trees and beauty, and I am certainly not a "liberal".
There are other towns close to Flag that may suit you - small towns of country living which are in the pines. Also, there may be parts of Flag that are far enough away from the campus influence where you will feel comfortable and at home. As to moving out of CA: FWIW, I am native to Northern CA and left for many of the same reasons you just cited. CA has changed dramatically during the past several decades, and unfortunately it will never be as it once was. I thought I'd miss it more than I do; what I realized is I miss how it used to be.

Where I live now is very similar to the pasture lands along Hwy 41 north of Ave 15 or so. (Hey, is that old barn still painted like the flag?) Instead of seeing the occasional herd of cattle, we see herds of wild pronghorn antelope. The vast majority of the acreage here is old ag-land and completely usable - flat to very gently rolling. It's a small ag-type town with little traffic, low crime, and mostly down-to-earth hard working people who are actually friendly and trusting (OMG! What a concept!). There aren't a lot of trees here, and I do miss that. But when I need a tree-fix, I head to Prescott, which is about 20 minutes away & "in the pines".

Anyway, do check out the Flag area in person. IMHO, it would be very unfortunate to miss the opportunity of moving to a gorgeous area just because of someone else's perception of that area.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,512 times
Default Wrong part of the Country

I just moved to Flag from rural Ohio and have a very similar mindset to you. There are many like us here, but many not. If you are looking to live with similar minded folks and for what you are describing you want I would highly recommend northern Michigan, rural Ohio or Indiana, Kentucky, or the South somewhere... not the West, especially Arizona. The cost of living will be half of Cal and Flag too.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:27 PM

203 posts, read 751,965 times
Oakhurst said "liberals," not "intellectuals."

Anyway, yes, I was considering Flag also for awhile - but it's very pricey there (because it's very beautiful - and somewhat cooler in the Summer.)

Old 08-05-2007, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,494 times
I USED to live in Flag and miss it. Just came through this weekend from a vacation in Colorado. Flag is only 2 hours from Phoenix and a Colorado get a- ways is just that, A ways away. We miss the pine trees, the elk and deer sightings daily, cleaner air and slower pace all in all.
Since you are looking for a 2 acre area then just look 30 minutes in any direction of Flag. You will still be in pine tree country and the price of land and housing will be lower. Try looking up these communities. (West) Parks, Williams, Ashfork. (South) Kachina Village, Mountainaire, Munds Park/Pine Wood, (East) Lake Mary, Mormon Lake areas. (North) residential communties...Macann Estates, Timberline
Don't miss the opportunity to live in this area. Take some time to check it out. You will find a variety of personalities and life styles. Just ask around to see what part of the woods fits you.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 AM

112 posts, read 425,844 times
If you want pine trees and northern Arizona but prefer conservatives, check out Williams, AZ. It is about 25 miles away from Flagstaff, gets snow and is far more red than Flagstaff. It is a small town without any colleges or universities and is close enough to the shopping and health care of Flagstaff when you need them. Williams voted Bush in the last presidential election whereas Flagstaff voted overwhelmingly Kerry. I would give Williams a good once over and visit if I were you. I live in Flagstaff and am one of those liberals <g > and I don't like Williams so you would probably like it. <smile>

Old 08-08-2007, 04:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,087,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
Oakhurst said "liberals," not "intellectuals."

Anyway, yes, I was considering Flag also for awhile - but it's very pricey there (because it's very beautiful - and somewhat cooler in the Summer.)

Flag is pricey because the residents are greedy and can't wait to make a buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona