Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:49 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I'm originally from Florida and have lived in several cities there. I've been living in Dallas for the past 8 years and currently commute bi-weekly to Houston due to my job. I think moving from Florida to Texas is a pretty easy transition. Neither state has a state income tax. College football is a favorite past time for both. Populations are growing and very diverse. If you have allergies, which I do, Texas seems to be a bit more problematic. Both places can have scorching hot summers (only Phoenix can rival the Texas heat). There's actually more change in season for Texas. I had to purchase a full lenth winter coat when I moved to Dallas. I never needed one in Florida. The housing is cheaper in Texas but the property taxes are a bit higher along with utilities. Plus don't expect much appreciation on the homes in Texas. It's definitely not as pretty in Texas (flat, lacks the trees and nice greenery) as Florida and you have to drive a ways to get to a nice beach. Also, the traffic in places like Houston and Dallas are much more congested than most places in Florida. On the other hand, I've enjoyed better shopping, night life and cultural activities here in Dallas. You don't mention what city in Florida and what cities you might move to in Texas. Miami, Orlando, and Jacksonville are very different cities so is Dallas compared to Austin. (Houston and San Antonio are pretty similar) so these are just generalities.

a bit off topic, my son is thinking of going to SMU, any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
Best Tex-Mex food on Greenville Ave. But I haven't been there since the 1980's!

LOWER Greenville

Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 PM

35 posts, read 131,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
Good school, get ready to fork over some serious dough

Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM

35 posts, read 131,764 times
I am a native Texan and you will find that most Texans are friendly and very inviting to peple from all over. We are very proud and loyal to our home and people are seometimes put off by that attitude. This would be the only reason I could think of why anyone would say they did not like the people or the atmosphere.

Dallas is a big city in the whole sense of the word, it is a very popular place and I seem to meet more people originally from elsewhere than natives to Dallas or Texas. So it is more diverse than one may think. Just like any big city there are some really bad areas you would not want to go but they are easily defined. If you live in the right place (Plano, Highland Park, Addison, Allen, Frisco, Southlake, etc.) there would be no danger of accidently going though these places. Dallas has all the major pro sports, some lakes, incredible shopping and world class dining, there is alot to do. Homes are cheap and there is no state income tax like Florida. However there is no real pretty land, it is mainly steel and concrete. It has gotten so big you have to make quite a drive to find some pretty country. The summers are rediculously hot and some years last a long time (I have felt 95 degrees on Halloween).

If I could choose anywhere to live in the Lone Star state it would be Austin. Austin is a liberal city, has a great live music scene and is a real outdoorsy type of place. Lake Travis is beautiful and the surrounding hill country is the prettiest part of the State byfar. The University of Texas rallies the city together on Saturdays and provides a steady influence of young professionals. Overall Austin is a great place and I could not see anyone disliking it. Take a trip and check it out.

Dallas=more of a suit and tie place
Austin=more of a t shirt and flip flop place

I love my home but am looking at a possible relocation to Jax Florida, I can't think of a better place to live(Florida) if I can't stay home. Beaches and all the water are big plusses to me and Jax still has a southern feel.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
Southern Methodist University is a good school, solid reputation. It typically ranks in the top 25-30 among most of those "Best of" college rankings. The school is not too big, about 11,000 students and it's located in a nice upper scale part of Dallas - University Park. It's private so it's a bit pricey but compared to some others similar in size and ranking, it's still a good deal.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 16,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
Unfortunately I am a Florida native. I will admit that when we moved to Austin Texas back in 1998 I was a bit homesick. However all that changed when I had a chance to get acclimated and get used to it. In short, I fell completely in LOVE
with Austin Texas. I have been told that it is different from any other city in Texas and I believe it. Housing is MUCH more affordable in the suburbs of Austin than it is here. $150,000 will not get you much house here, but in the suburbs of Austin you can get probably a 2500 square foot home if that is your thing.

There is the Texas Hill Country which is not far from Austin. It is kind of a nature lovers city if you ask me. the bad thing is that for homeowners the property taxes are pretty high. That is the only thing keeping us from moving back when my husband gets approved for his disability income.

Right now I live in Marion County and do not like it much to be honest. I really do not like living in a state where I can only maybe qualify for a home through Habitat for Humanity.I think I would feel that way even if I lived close to the beach. Florida can have them. Give me a nice big house instead and I will be happy. When the husband gets his settlement we are gonna come SCREAMING out of Florida.

I honestly feel that Florida schools are second rate and I have become a big advocate of homeschooling. There are probably some counties that are better than Marion though.
hello you said you know about the shcooling. so im trying to move form dallas texas to south florida ( around miami). i need to know about the high schools there . im gonna be a senior .. do u think its a god idea to move now.. are their schools good like dallas . i dont know anything about florida... and wich place is better to live for education : tampa or miami??

Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choka View Post
hello you said you know about the shcooling. so im trying to move form dallas texas to south florida ( around miami). i need to know about the high schools there . im gonna be a senior .. do u think its a god idea to move now.. are their schools good like dallas . i dont know anything about florida... and wich place is better to live for education : tampa or miami??
Well I do not really know much about south Florida schools, so I really cannot be of much assistance to you there. I do know that a lot of people consider Floridas overall quality of education to be lower than they would like.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 AM

185 posts, read 652,826 times
We lived in Harlingen Texas 2 yrs. and Brownsville another 2 yrs. I never met such friendly people. When in Harlingen we had a bad ice storm which was a rare thing. On TV they made an all out plea to the public about opening our homes for the migrant workers. We had heat but no furniture YET! So we had eight stay with us plus our elderly neighbor who had a goat and four chickens.Livestock stayed in our two car. I learned to make chimichangas. Between us and our neighbor across the street, we were swaping blankets for our families. That was the most fun I had in ages. Everything was a big community effort, and I really miss that when we left for Naples, Florida.I've lived in Naples Fl. about 23 yrs. and the reason for staying so long was stability for my youngest son with some family, and painting myself in a corner buying a house here. It wasn't a home only a house. Naples will never be my home only me in a house.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:01 AM

10 posts, read 76,989 times
Hi, I live in South Florida and LOVE IT but I spent 5 years living in Dallas. To paraphrase a previous poster, you have to find the city that fits you. This is so true! In my case, moving to Dallas was something I would take back if I could. It was just way too different from the East Coast. I found the people in Dallas to be cold and indifferent, and boring. Maybe it's the wide open spaces that creates the disconnect and the unfriendliness. (I also lived in Denton for a while, which I'm glad turned out to be a much better experience.)

The best thing about Dallas I would say is CHEAP housing and rent and a decent job market. There are also some great restaurants. I was shocked at how apparently cooking at home is not much of a pastime there! Razzoo's, Joe T. Garcia's in Fort Worth, and an ice cream shop on Knox-Henderson whose name I forgot were wonderful.

Anyway....go with Florida!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 18,329 times
I live in the Dallas area- had it not been for a good friends circle here-- it would have been terrible. There is nothing to show when folks come from out of town- except for the Kennedy museum and West End night life. Hundreds of communities are coming up and developers re razing down whatever trees were there. Yes, you do get more house for the money. But in the summer its nearly impossible to be outdoors ... Infact my situation is the opposite - I have an opportunity coming up in the Plant city area (posted a question on it but no replies yet) and may have to move to Florida...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida